1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Started for a split second, died and is dripping oil from flywheel inspection cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 02:24 PM
Dr. Johnson
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Started for a split second, died and is dripping oil from flywheel inspection cover

Well gents, my E350 just won't go a single winter without giving me fits...

Just hopped in, fired her off and she quit instantly after firing. Tried one more time to no avail. as I walked away calling it 4 letter words I looked back and noticed a pool of oil running underneath... crawled under and it's dripping steadily from the weep hole in the inspection cover on the bell housing. I had to go back to work so no chance to investigate further. Anyone else had this happen?
Hoping for a quick fix... lol

Old 12-29-2017, 03:10 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
I suspect that you have a significant oil leak up top. Several potential culprits, but a significant leak should be easy to see unless it is really dirty. Check your engine oil level. If too low the engine will shut down due to low oil pressure.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:23 PM
Dr. Johnson
More Turbo
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
I suspect that you have a significant oil leak up top. Several potential culprits, but a significant leak should be easy to see unless it is really dirty. Check your engine oil level. If too low the engine will shut down due to low oil pressure.
I went back on break and pulled the doghouse off, the drivers rear of the cylinder head and block are quite wet. There is a stream running down the head/block. I cannot see any clear leak culprit just yet. It's almost like it puked a half quart of oil out as soon as it fired up which definitely makes me think it's a high pressure leak. The passenger side looks dry. Hopefully not the HPOP, just spent $3500 putting injectors/GP's/etc in last year this time. The HPOP is HARD to access on these Econolines. It almost looks like its coming from a bolt under the high pressure rail but that doesnt jive with what is going on. definitely not getting enough PSI to fire the IDM. Wish I could just lift the body off and see what the heck is leaking.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:33 PM
cabloom300
Elder User
Check to be sure its not the oil cooler, sometimes when they go they put out a lot of oil

Old 12-29-2017, 05:49 PM
Dr. Johnson
More Turbo
Originally Posted by cabloom300
Check to be sure its not the oil cooler, sometimes when they go they put out a lot of oil
I will give it a look, The oil seems higher on the block than that. The oil cooler wouldn't cause a no-start though would it?

Old 12-29-2017, 05:59 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
My vote would be a Blown Hpop Hose or seal, you could get your oil level back up to normal, and watch it while your cranking..... but you might end up with an Oil bath inside your Ride, at least you'd know......The hoses are not hard to swap, on a normal truck, A PITA, unfortunately for you. If it was a blown O ring, it would probably bleed slower. Are you sure it's Oil and not P/S fluid?.....

Old 12-29-2017, 06:22 PM
Dr. Johnson
More Turbo
Originally Posted by coax9952
My vote would be a Blown Hpop Hose or seal, you could get your oil level back up to normal, and watch it while your cranking..... but you might end up with an Oil bath inside your Ride, at least you'd know......The hoses are not hard to swap, on a normal truck, A PITA, unfortunately for you. If it was a blown O ring, it would probably bleed slower. Are you sure it's Oil and not P/S fluid?.....
I know, I dread working on this thing. You work by feel, not by sight. I need to weld up some subframe hinges and make the body lift up for occasions like this... insanity.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:27 PM
Dr. Johnson
More Turbo
I will tear into it a little bit after work and give you gents a rundown. FINGERS CROSSED that I find a hose blown or loose!

Old 12-30-2017, 01:05 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Have you checked the O-rings on the oil galley plugs at each end of the heads? I think that they are about 1" in diameter, maybe more. I don't recall if the are Allen head or square.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:01 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Square, I just did mine......WHAT A PITA! But The OP's would be a snap!

Old 12-30-2017, 03:03 PM
Dr. Johnson
More Turbo
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
Have you checked the O-rings on the oil galley plugs at each end of the heads? I think that they are about 1" in diameter, maybe more. I don't recall if the are Allen head or square.
Yes sir, that’s was my first stop but I wasn’t so lucky. Had to take thing way apart to find it. The passenger side high pressure line blew right in the middle and was spraying into the valley and everywhere else.Anyone know how to upload a video from an iPhone onto here?

Old 12-30-2017, 03:08 PM
Dr. Johnson
More Turbo
Couldn’t figure out the video but here’s a still shot while cranking. Leaking live a sieve.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:17 PM
Dr. Johnson
More Turbo
Square, I just did mine......WHAT A PITA! But The OP's would be a snap!
That’s no kidding, mine are wide out in the open. I do not envy super duty owners with those leaking. That’s got to be about as fun as the IPR on my van lol!

Old 12-30-2017, 06:12 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Well at least now you know, Do a search here on swapping your HPOP lines, Do Them both! cause you know what's gonna happen with the other one.... Get your order in for replacements and do yourself a favor and get the fitting tool for the ends. Amazon sells them, as does RiffRaff. and make sure you replace the Parker sleeves at the same time. they're on the HPOP end. Then you'll be good for another 15 years. It's not gonna be a cheap Date.....but it's better to pull the bandaid off once. instead of over and over......

Old 12-31-2017, 12:30 AM
Dr. Johnson
More Turbo
Well at least now you know, Do a search here on swapping your HPOP lines, Do Them both! cause you know what's gonna happen with the other one.... Get your order in for replacements and do yourself a favor and get the fitting tool for the ends. Amazon sells them, as does RiffRaff. and make sure you replace the Parker sleeves at the same time. they're on the HPOP end. Then you'll be good for another 15 years. It's not gonna be a cheap Date.....but it's better to pull the bandaid off once. instead of over and over......
I’ve got the tool already thankfully but I did order both lines from RiffRaff today because this job sucks badly on this van and I don’t want to do it again lol. The Parker sleeve part on the pump end I am not familiar with. I did order new fittings for the heads just because they’re cheap and I don’t want and old o-rings floating around waiting to fail.

Quick Reply: Started for a split second, died and is dripping oil from flywheel inspection cover