Made the mistake of buying Wal-mart batteries. Who (in 2017/2018) makes the BEST battery? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Made the mistake of buying Wal-mart batteries. Who (in 2017/2018) makes the BEST battery?

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Made the mistake of buying Wal-mart batteries. Who (in 2017/2018) makes the BEST battery?

Old 12-29-2017, 01:57 PM
queen of spades
Elder User
queen of spades is starting off with a positive reputation.

Read a few posts a couple years ago about how most batteries are made in the same factory no matter brand, and thought I could save a few bucks going to Walmart.

Long story short I left my lights on and the batteries drained all the way down. Ever since they take charge but are slow to start. I've left them on chargers inside my garage for days, no improvement. Before I left the lights on the started the truck up real good.

Walmart are a PITA, they say since there is 12 volts they are still good.

Its the year 2017 (soon 2018). Who makes the absolute best, longest lasting with highest CCA batteries for our Super Duty diesel engines?

Old 12-29-2017, 02:18 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.
started just a few days ago

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tery-time.html

no Best anyplace.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:50 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
What kind of charger or charge are you throwing at them?

Two parallel connected automotive start batteries are going to take a long time to charge back up from zero. Unless they are defective the performance should be OK after recharging.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:17 PM
queen of spades
Elder User
2a trickle for two full days, so a total of 4 days charge for both batteries. They worked fine before I forgot and left the lights on. After the charge the batteries showed ~14v charge. It helped a little the first time I bumped it over but it's back to awful now and will barely start. Again, truck started /turned over quickly before I accidentally ran the batteries down which was obviously my mistake and I'm not looking to blame anyone else.

I just want to know without a doubt the best readily available battery in 2017 from folks who have bought them this past year. I live in the south too so the northern version of batteries ya'll get up there are better but not available in the south.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:18 PM
Lawnpro979
Senior User
Lawnpro979 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I suppose to each there own.

Ive been using walmart batteries for ever.

the last two “free replacement ones” were replaced right before the deadline.

they have always replaced with no issues, as I recall they last me about 4 years.

that reminds me. It’s about time to replace........

Old 12-29-2017, 03:22 PM
queen of spades
Elder User
you must have a friendly wal mart store out in the country. I live in the city and the staff love denying and frustrating customers with bogus "must be good it has 12v showing" bs

Old 12-29-2017, 03:23 PM
jetty
Senior User
jetty is starting off with a positive reputation.
My daily driver, Chrysler Pacifica, has wiped out its battery every 3 years like clockwork since 2005. Been using "Gold" AutoZone batteries.
It's last AutoZone battery went 18 months before cashing in the chips last week. AutoZone's pro-rated warranty cost me $120 to walk out with another battery.
I think the best battery is the one with the most generous warranty, Walmart's EverStart warranty is a 5 year warranty; the first 3 years = Full Replacement at no cost, the next 2 years pro-rated.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:23 PM
Batman7777
Senior User
Batman7777 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have been using Walmart batteries on multiple vehicles including gas, diesel and a large Motorhome that has 6 batteries. They last forever... :-) Well beyond the 3 years. I just replaced a couple starter batteries that were 9 1/2 years old and still kicking very strong. I replaced them only because we were leaving on a long multi thousand mile trip and wanted fresh batteries. Nine year old starter batteries? That's amazing.

You're right about only few companies make or produce car batteries no matter what the seller name says. Johnson Controls, Exide and Sears (Die Hard), East Penn

There are however some differences including the lead plate size. Lead Acid batteries as you know eat away at the lead plates as it ages to generate power. So the thicker they are, the longer they will last. There's a lot of science that goes into design and manufacturing of batteries (Ask Tesla).

The difference between a 3 year battery and a 5 year battery might be only the cost as the sellers use the additional cost as a warranty write-off insurance.

I need to add that Walmart was excellent and no hassle place to get batteries. This includes Sam's...

Old 12-29-2017, 03:34 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have had the worst luck with Wal-Mart batteries... car, motorcycle, tractor.

they die days after the warranty.. no help there. literary days.

the North-South battery thing is a myth...
just like Summer-Winter air for tires .

Old 12-29-2017, 03:36 PM
queen of spades
Elder User
Originally Posted by jetty View Post
My daily driver, Chrysler Pacifica, has wiped out its battery every 3 years like clockwork since 2005. Been using "Gold" AutoZone batteries.
It's last AutoZone battery went 18 months before cashing in the chips last week. AutoZone's pro-rated warranty cost me $120 to walk out with another battery.
I think the best battery is the one with the most generous warranty, Walmart's EverStart warranty is a 5 year warranty; the first 3 years = Full Replacement at no cost, the next 2 years pro-rated.
Ya'll must have actually good walmarts nearby. My store said it had to be charged (even though it was charged) and then tested. If 12v, they say it's still good. I bought into the idea that WM batteries were better until now that I've tried to warranty them.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:45 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
only Good battery test.. is the 100 amp load test... all others are just lost time.

if it can not HOLD its voltage with a 100 amp load.. its BAD.

43 years. and this fact has NOT CHANGED.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:13 PM
SnowPlowDriver
Senior User
SnowPlowDriver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford View Post
only Good battery test.. is the 100 amp load test... all others are just lost time.

if it can not HOLD its voltage with a 100 amp load.. its BAD.

43 years. and this fact has NOT CHANGED.

I have a 100 amp load tester. How long should the load be applied? If the battery is 850 cca,how long should it stay there?

Old 12-29-2017, 04:36 PM
redford
redford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputation
A few years ago I spoke with a battery sales type who represented companies that make batteries for telephone central offices. The dude could discuss the good and bad points of each battery type, he seriously knew his stuff.

I asked him what he used in his vehicles. He responded that he used, without fail, the Sears Diehard Gold AGM battery, which he expected to outlast his vehicles.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:10 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SnowPlowDriver View Post
I have a 100 amp load tester. How long should the load be applied? If the battery is 850 cca,how long should it stay there?
I hope this works.

proper way to test battery at 100 amps

http://www.cloreautomotive.com/uploa...41-731-000.pdf

this downloads a text file.
copy and paste

Old 12-29-2017, 08:10 PM
SnowPlowDriver
Senior User
SnowPlowDriver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok,looks like 10 seconds should do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Made the mistake of buying Wal-mart batteries. Who (in 2017/2018) makes the BEST battery?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.