Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88' 4.9 I-6 parked 13 years ago, worth saving?

Old 03-19-2019, 02:03 PM
yellercat
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
superceded - deleted

Last edited by yellercat; 03-19-2019 at 04:41 PM. Reason: superceded
Old 03-19-2019, 02:10 PM
yellercat
More Turbo
Just going to start over. If that tag had been a snake it would have bit me. Rechecked and there it is.
Got the ECM off and here's the numbers etc on it.

Also, just noticed that the opening in the drums are different between my two axles. One is about 3.5" and one is only about 2.75". Other measurements look very close, width, spring hangers, shock mounts. Guess it may be a car axle? Probably take a different brake drum kit to rebuild. Suggestion or comments as this surprised me.

Pillar tag.

Existing ecm, not sure if its for an auto or a manual vehicle. Any way to tell? How to select ecm for gearset and auto or manual transmissions??

Truck drum has drum opening of about 3.5". the limiited slip drum openings are only about 2.75". What's the differences?

The Limited slip rear has smaller drum openings? would this be from a car instead of a truck?

Last edited by yellercat; 03-19-2019 at 04:40 PM. Reason: pulled my head out
Old 03-19-2019, 06:17 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,345 Likes on 1,062 Posts
Trans code “F” is a 4 speed manual T18 or T19.

Axle code 18 appears to be an open diff with 3.08 gears. (found on this site)

fordification.com site says that axle code S805A is from a ‘84-86 Bronco or F-150

Maybe someone here can look up the engineering number from the computer to check the applications.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:28 PM
skuzzybucket
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
F 100 used a 4 3/4 circle instead of 5. or could be a ranger or explorer Even a (GASP) Dodge
Is the measurement from backing plate to backing plate the same?

Old 03-19-2019, 06:46 PM
yellercat
More Turbo
Well, sounds like the sellers story may have been a …….story.
It does have the T18 but he said it had been converted from an automatic. It does have a steering column that was for the auto trans, so maybe he just wanted to 'splain' that up front. who knows? Actually a good thing in light of the question about the ecm and the trans matching, etc. So that's good info there. And the rear gear tag also matches your interpretation from the pillar tag My4, so it all fits that way.
Don't see a rebuilt ecm on rockauto for those numbers tho. Anyone who might know what ecm's work with the T18 trans?The distance from drum to drum is the same Skuzz, but now wondering if the unit is heavy enough for the truck?? The brake drum rebuild kit that I have may or may not fit both of them, any ideas? Seems like it'd be hard to buy a kit without knowing what car it fits...Can you give me the down and dirty for the wheel bearings? Axles gotta come out?? Just cleaned the inside pumpkin out and she's fine! thanks for all the replies guys! inch by inch we go...

Old 03-19-2019, 06:57 PM
yellercat
More Turbo
Talking

So looks like it has always been a 4 speed. Think it has the T18. Good that the ECM will be matching and there was no (apparently) transmission switch, which is news to me, And different than the story I got.
If that R/E is off a Bronco of F-150 it should be suitable for a swap then, thanks My4.
The distance between hubs IS the same Skuzz. Other items also match, just those larger hub openings. Not sure that my brake rebuild kit will match, but cross that bridge then.
Can you give me the down and dirty for the rear wheel bearings? Do the axles have to come out??? Going to clean and check and repack while its clean, replace if needed.
Anyone know what ECM s will work with the T18 trans and the 6 cyl? There are no matching units on RockAuto and not sure if there is another seller for them. suggestions?
thanks for the replies guys, eating this apple one bite at a time !

Old 03-19-2019, 07:07 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Maybe I missed it somewhere but I’m asking again, why are you replacing the computer? Is it defective?

Yes, the axles need need to come out to replace the bearings. The axles are retained by c - clips. There is no repacking the bearings in an 8.8 since they are lubricated by the gear oil.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:16 PM
yellercat
More Turbo
Don't know that it is defective, My4. Just trying to guess what would cause the most trouble on a restart. Guess I can open it up and check for seepage at the caps. Perhaps it is fine, but it has sat for 14 years now...
Does it take a puller to get the axles out? Seems to be a little play when I lift the outer edge of the lugs. Visual inspection the best way to check bearings I guess.
Will check the manual too.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:20 PM
yellercat
More Turbo
Originally Posted by skuzzybucket
F 100 used a 4 3/4 circle instead of 5. or could be a ranger or explorer Even a (GASP) Dodge
Is the measurement from backing plate to backing plate the same?
was talking about the actual hole in the center of the hub, the lug pattern is the same,

My4 determined the 'new' rear is either a bronco or an f-150 so not concerned about suitability for now.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:34 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
No puller required. Remove the center pin retaining bolt and center pin. I believe the spring needs to come out as well. Push the axle in and then remove the c clip. Then you can remove the axle shaft.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:28 AM
yellercat
More Turbo
Roger that My4. Wonder if the axle itself is the only difference in the two rear ends? Would one likely be thicker that the other? Just curious, no intention of changing, tho that would allow me to retain the drum/hubs with the larger center diameter....

Old 03-20-2019, 09:15 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,428 Likes on 933 Posts
i would check spline count of both axles, check brake shoe diam and width, and check bearings sizes and compare the two. I know with the 9" alot of f100 came with smaller bearings and 29? spline axles instead of the usual 31 "big bearing" maybe the same applies here?

Old 03-20-2019, 09:23 AM
yellercat
More Turbo
Good thoughts KO, will do. Going to get the bearing #s to replace if needed. Noticed some of the same application have slightly different spec sizes between mfgs.:
Update: turns out this is a Trac Loc rear. After reviewing the rebuild sequences, I've decided to button it back up after renewing the lubricant and adding some LS additive. Going to renew the brakes and replace the drums and go with it to see wha' happens.

Last edited by yellercat; 03-21-2019 at 07:56 AM. Reason: update
Old 03-31-2019, 11:13 PM
dremtofford
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
i have a 65 f-250 flatbed with a 91 300 -6 in it that someone took off the fuel injection and put an intake and exhaust off of a carburated engine on it. i got it for free and it was missing the manual trans. went to pull and save a bought a 4 spd manual and put it in. i even had a brand new clutch all it needed was a pilot bearing and a radiator, someone put a radiator from an older truck because it has four radiator connections on it and a big blob of jb weld in the middle of the radiator. i had to put and aftermarket fuel pump on it because there is no spot on the engine for one. it is a Frankenstein engine but it runs well even if the cab is a little bit rusty. it is for sale if anyone wants it, i have to many toys.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:33 PM
yellercat
More Turbo
Thankless job.
embarrassed to admit it took me a WEEK to change the body or cab mount bushings!
Managed to reuse the mount hardware, or most of it. Did cut the expanded part of the press fit bush to re install, and changed the bolts on the front most mounts.
Sits nicely and firm on the poly bushes.

On to the rear leafs, (which are still not off, but extremely tortured).

Maybe that will be the turning point !! LOL
Having fun at any rate, and there is no schedule to meet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 88' 4.9 I-6 parked 13 years ago, worth saving?