Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88' 4.9 I-6 parked 13 years ago, worth saving?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 07:31 AM
yellercat
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for that Skuzzy. One on the truck is open.
Have an 8.8 in the barn that I will be checking to see if it is a locker. (Good News, it is a locking type!)
Question now is whether to swap whole assbly before doing the rear brakes or just the carrier. Not sure which lash is best of the two if that will make a difference....

Do I understand correctly that the center carrier is the only item required to be swapped in order to make this one a locker ? ?
Was thinking that the entire assembly would need to be exchanged.... please set me straight before I do something dumb !

Last edited by yellercat; 03-15-2019 at 08:09 AM. Reason: add info
Old 03-15-2019, 02:01 PM
skuzzybucket
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If the other rear is out of a truck, and is in good shape.
axle bearings are good, pinion isn't leaking, I'd clean it up, and change them out drum to drum

Changing gearsets over aren't for the faint of heart, and shouldn't be tried for a first time by yourself. There's a good bit too it

Old 03-15-2019, 02:29 PM
yellercat
More Turbo
Have no experience with the gearsets change. Never done it, so will drag it over and take a closer look at what I have.
Remembering the seller did say it was from an f150, Had picked it up for another project and not used.
May be just the ticket. Will get some pics too.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:16 PM
skuzzybucket
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Pay special attention and take a picture of the tag comes off the bolt on the cover plate on the back
I can look it up for you

Old 03-15-2019, 06:29 PM
yellercat
More Turbo
We Got Tag !
Plus, seems like the lash is much tighter on the 'barn' rear than the original on this truck, so that's good.
There is a difference in the back thickness of the housing, and am not sure how to confirm that it is off of a truck, perhaps the tag will tell.
The outside of the upper housing is missing the electrical sensor that the existing rear has, so not sure what it may be, perhaps speedo.
But here's the pics for interpretation. f

tag

transplant candidate

rear of case is thinner than the existing rear in the truck and there is an electrical 'plug in' missing that the current rear has, maybe a speedo sensor?

this is the existing open rear on the truck

another shot of the current rear in the truck where you can see the 'plug' (electrical)

Old 03-15-2019, 07:00 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,358 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by yellercat
We Got Tag !
Plus, seems like the lash is much tighter on the 'barn' rear than the original on this truck, so that's good.
There is a difference in the back thickness of the housing, and am not sure how to confirm that it is off of a truck, perhaps the tag will tell.
The outside of the upper housing is missing the electrical sensor that the existing rear has, so not sure what it may be, perhaps speedo.
But here's the pics for interpretation. f

tag

another shot of the current rear in the truck where you can see the 'plug' (electrical)
That tag indicates it is a 3.08 ratio with limited slip. I don’t remember what you said is currently in your truck. You can take the cover off and turn the ring gear until you see stamped numbers on the edge of the ring gear. It will say something like 44:13 which would be the number of teeth on the ring gear and the number of pinion teeth: divide these numbers to get the ratio

The sensor in the rear is for the RABS (rear anti-lock brake system) .

Old 03-16-2019, 04:16 AM
yellercat
More Turbo
Thumbs up

Thanks My4 on that info. Not sure what is in the truck currently, so will have to take a look inside to see.
Sounds like to retain the RABS system, the gearset will have to have the same ratio and be swapped out, is that correct?
Just got a new hydraulic unit for the RABS so would like to retain it, but that is not mandatory for my intended use, just wanted to totally clean the brake system up and that was the last piece to complete.
Guessing also that this would have been an earlier year than the 88'?
Is the limited slip the same as the 'locker' type diff or is there some difference in the wheel to wheel ratio? Any way the limited slip would be a big improvement over the open diff, right?
appreciate your thoughts

Old 03-16-2019, 07:38 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver

Should look something like this pic from the internet
Looking at the axle tag is ok as long you know the history of the vehicle but taking the cover off and checking is the only way to know for sure what ratio is installed.

Not exaclty. To retain the RABS system you will need an axle equipped with the sensor and tone ring. The gear ratio doesn’t matter other than it will need to be the same ratio as what is in the front diff, if the truck is 4wd.

Maybe it is an early 8.8 rear before they started using ABS so mid 80’s? Before the 8.8 axle was used 1/2T trucks got the 9” and that is definitely not a 9” rear axle.

The factory never ever installed locking differentials. They were either open or limited slip. The limited slip used had clutches so the effectiveness of it after all these years depends on how worn it is. I believe you can get replacement clutches and rebuilt the unit. As to whether you need it or not depends on how you use the truck. Everyday driving on the street is just fine with an open diff.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:51 AM
yellercat
More Turbo

Gas a good flushing agent?

cleaned up on the outside

check the difference in the i beam lengths! did not realize this.

Here's whats inside of the ibe,am connection. these were totally frozen up could not have been any front to rear movement with the suspension...

ready to go back on soon!
Thanks for the info. The LS is more important for its usage around the farm. Not going to sweat the RABS for now, can always change it back later if desired. Did not know that about the sensor ring! Learn something everyday around here!
Got it cleaned up some and wondering about flushing out the innards. Everyone still just slosh some gas around in there to get the old gear oil out?
Will put some pics up later. Following was inside of the case - E3TV CA , 1340 Ford 6AA ,

Also got the twin I beams loosened up and think that they work much better when freed up. They can articulate now!

Last edited by yellercat; 03-18-2019 at 10:04 AM. Reason: added info
Old 03-18-2019, 11:36 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,440 Likes on 937 Posts
nothing wrong with gas and brake cleaner. probably just change the oil and check the magnetic fill plug after a few drives. looking good

Old 03-18-2019, 01:03 PM
yellercat
More Turbo
thanks KO ! appreciate the encouragement.
Think it should do ok with an oil change after a rinsing. looks un-abused to me. Guy can hope anyway!

Old 03-19-2019, 10:22 AM
yellercat
More Turbo
Question on replacing the engine control module ??
This truck was originally automatic transmission. Subsequently converted to a four speed.
What should be the priority when replacing the ECM? Should I simply use the existing ECM number from the unit to order a replacement, or would the manual transmission need a different ECM for best overall operation?? Have no idea if the issue was addressed when the transmission was swapped or if it indeed makes any difference to the trucks operation.
Appreciate your more knowledgeable replies as this is wayyyyy over my paygrade .

Old 03-19-2019, 10:49 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,440 Likes on 937 Posts
can you post the door tag?
that will tell us what auto trans the truck came with..unless you already know.
Im not sure if fuel tables are different or not. I know later on things were calibrated differently on manual trans trucks due to potential of lugging engine etc

Old 03-19-2019, 11:00 AM
yellercat
More Turbo
that door tag is long gone KO, along with the transmission. Is there anywhere else I might look for clues?
Going out to get the ECM out later today and can put its number up if that will provide some insight.....
guess the auto would have been whatever they mated with the 6 cyl. in 1988...
if these are 3.08 gears, it may make a difference...
So the trans may be the biggest underlying variable for the selection for the ECM ?

Last edited by yellercat; 03-19-2019 at 01:33 PM. Reason: add question comments
Old 03-19-2019, 01:48 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
So there is no decal on the body by the driver’s door latch post? I believe it would have been and AOD in ‘88 but not 100% sure.

I dont remember... is there something wrong with the computer you have? Why do you need a replacement?

Quick Reply: 88' 4.9 I-6 parked 13 years ago, worth saving?