88' 4.9 I-6 parked 13 years ago, worth saving? - Page 7 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

88' 4.9 I-6 parked 13 years ago, worth saving?

Old 01-22-2019, 10:32 AM
yellercat
Senior User
yellercat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Now that I say that , not sure if the I-6 airbox is same as the V8 style, Zombie so no worries if not.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:47 AM
ZombieF150
Senior User
ZombieF150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by yellercat View Post
Now that I say that , not sure if the I-6 airbox is same as the V8 style, Zombie so no worries if not.
I sent my buddy a text and asked for the approx yrs and engine sizes on the trucks, will let ya know when he replies.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:29 AM
yellercat
Senior User
another angle

high and dry !

Old 01-22-2019, 01:24 PM
skuzzybucket
don't play well w others
skuzzybucket has a brilliant futureskuzzybucket has a brilliant futureskuzzybucket has a brilliant futureskuzzybucket has a brilliant futureskuzzybucket has a brilliant futureskuzzybucket has a brilliant futureskuzzybucket has a brilliant futureskuzzybucket has a brilliant futureskuzzybucket has a brilliant futureskuzzybucket has a brilliant futureskuzzybucket has a brilliant future
A/c trucks are all the same from 85- 97
heater only trucks are from 80-87
all trucks after 85 use the ac setup whether they have evap coil or not.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:29 PM
skuzzybucket
don't play well w others
skuzzybucket has a brilliant futureskuzzybucket has a brilliant futureskuzzybucket has a brilliant futureskuzzybucket has a brilliant futureskuzzybucket has a brilliant futureskuzzybucket has a brilliant futureskuzzybucket has a brilliant futureskuzzybucket has a brilliant futureskuzzybucket has a brilliant futureskuzzybucket has a brilliant futureskuzzybucket has a brilliant future
Misssed the belt question
if you put a ratchet in the tensioner, pull it back, the belt loosens. watch letting the ratchet go, that's a lot of tension.

I probably would replace the belt tensioner, as the truck set so long, and the spring is probably rusted inside.
If you need a picture let me know, I will have to take one for you.

Idler pully bearing probably bad too, and for the money, do it while the belt is off

Old 01-22-2019, 01:40 PM
yellercat
Senior User
Yep, agree on those wear parts, will put them on the list.
Good to know on the airbox years, perhaps a replacement with a newer year will get me clean again. Guess the electrical and vacuum hookups are the same.
appreciate the info Skuzzy.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:27 PM
skuzzybucket
don't play well w others
If I were going to go for a big change, I would go for 94 or newer, so I could use 134a in it right from the get go
Change the compressor and the condenser too, as well as all the hoses.
The 134 runs on pag oil, not mineral oil like the 12 does, so everything would have to be cleaned out if you don't.
Use a new dryer ( expansion tank), and you should be problem free for another 20 years.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:46 PM
daltonjamesadams
Senior User
daltonjamesadams is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok Arkansas fellas! I work in Paragould. There is a salvage yard just south of Pocahontas with several Bricknose/obs in it.I know the young man that owns it, very friendly guy and fair on his prices. I have a 92 4wd sc 351 e4od for parts for my sons 93 4wd lwb 302 aod. Would sell a pretty good swb bed, trans. and red interior parts cheap. Let me know if i can help anybody.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:55 PM
ZombieF150
Senior User
Shhhhhh! We don't want all them fellers from up Nawth comin down here and buyin up all our rust free trucks now

Old 01-23-2019, 07:08 AM
yellercat
Senior User
Hey KO , there's your seat !!
Like that thought Skuzzy, will be on the lookout for a 94-97 for those parts after this gets started up. Maybe put the condenser in while the radiator is out.
Them Yanks ain't a comin' down here Zombie, its too durn hot fer'em.
Whats the name on that yard, Dalton? Need to give that young man a call.
Appreciate the replies ya'll.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:54 AM
KubotaOrange76
Post Fiend
KubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to all
hell yes!

Old 01-23-2019, 10:10 AM
WarWagon85
Senior User
WarWagon85 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey KO , there's your seat !!
Them Yanks ain't a comin' down here Zombie, its too durn hot fer'em.
Hey, i resemble that remark as a Yankee (unwillingly i might add ). Some of us can actually handle heat, and be hospitable as well!
Plus, the yards up here that have Bricknose/OBS trucks are already picked clean of the good stuff, so there's not much of a choice but to start coming down south

Good work on saving the old bricknose yellercat, i'm doing the same with a truck two years newer and dealing with rust is an absolute ache: still don't change the fact i'm saving it, and even learning from your posts as well

Old 01-23-2019, 10:12 AM
ZombieF150
Senior User
Don't forget about Economy auto parts and U pull and save , and Pruitt's here in J'boro...over by the Sheriff Dept. The whole road is boneyards

Old 01-23-2019, 10:31 AM
yellercat
Senior User
If I knock you Yanks, its tongue in cheek. Heck, even lived up there fer' awhile Glad the posts are doing more than me some good!

Looks good Zombie, will be checkin' them on my next trip. Got some feelers out on trucks for A/C . Thank you !

Old 01-23-2019, 10:35 AM
WarWagon85
Senior User
WarWagon85 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If I knock you Yanks, its tongue in cheek. Heck, even lived up there fer' awhile Glad the posts are doing more than me some good!

Looks good Zombie, will be checkin' them on my next trip. Got some feelers out on trucks for A/C . Thank you !
Just a little friendly back and forth, i know there's no harm in it. Heck i can get into the south in an hour, just by driving through West Virginia; prefer their company more than i do the yanks up here

Since i got a leaky rear tank in mine and a front tank thats non-existent, seeing what you're doing will help me when it comes time to lift the bed off and service everything, so keep up the good work!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 88' 4.9 I-6 parked 13 years ago, worth saving?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.