Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

88' 4.9 I-6 parked 13 years ago, worth saving?

Old 03-07-2018, 04:17 PM
skuzzybucket
don't play well w others
skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.
Yeah, right by your foot.
Plastic piece. pull the plug out of the center of it, and wiggle it out of there

You will see it there, square aluminum box

Old 11-29-2018, 04:12 AM
KubotaOrange76
Post Fiend
KubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to all
I want that seat

Old 01-21-2019, 06:53 PM
yellercat
Senior User
yellercat is starting off with a positive reputation.
One year anniversary, got the wire harness in mostly.
Trying to free the bottom bolt on the alternator, with the aluminum bracket. Why mix metals? Anyone got a great tip to free that sucker?
Got the PB on it, day one. Really don't want to snap it, already have the pump part cut off.

Renewing the entire fuel system prior to start up. Tanks, pumps, selector, thru to injectors, working on cleaning existing and may retain them pending results.

Have a new cat and exhaust as existing was rotten.

How does that airbox aka suitcase come off of the firewall? Have to access from cab? Might as well check heater core and clean the rest of the rat skank out of the big box. Are they hard to find with the A/C condenser in fair shape??
This is looking like a restoration.
Will get some new pics if anyone is interested...

Old 01-21-2019, 07:19 PM
yellercat
Senior User

injectors then back to the tanks etc springs and shocks with the tanks install

pretty clean now except for that airbox mess, like to just replace the whole she bang as its nasty inside !

Old 01-21-2019, 08:26 PM
daltonjamesadams
Senior User
daltonjamesadams is starting off with a positive reputation.
Where are you? I am just west of Pocahontas, Randolph County.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:51 AM
yellercat
Senior User
Hey Dalton, just north of Conway. Whats' up, you got parts or need some??

Old 01-22-2019, 06:54 AM
95fiveoh
Elder User
95fiveoh is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Glad to see you are still working on this thing! Bit by bit it's coming together.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:59 AM
yellercat
Senior User
Ha! Yeah, its going to be a good truck. Decided that I didn't want to see it hogging its stall in the shop later this Spring !!!

Turning into a full redo, but that's just how I am. Well worth it in the long run.

May do a custom bed and use it like a farm service truck. Air compressor, and tools with a short rail all around, we'll see !

Old 01-22-2019, 07:25 AM
skuzzybucket
don't play well w others
skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.skuzzybucket has a spectacular reputation.

If you want to pull the whole box, bolts are under the hood, and in the cab

Old 01-22-2019, 08:06 AM
yellercat
Senior User
Ahhh, well looks like that all the parts in the passengers seat will be moving over. Thanks for the pics, Skuzz. Will change the core and maybe get the big box off for a really good cleaning as it seems to have been the heart of the rat hotel.
That should be the last of the worst of their mess.
You have any secret method on a stuck alternator bolt in the alloy bracket? ??

Old 01-22-2019, 08:17 AM
KubotaOrange76
Post Fiend
KubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to all
i suggest heat and shockload of a few good raps with BFH on the alt bolt

Old 01-22-2019, 08:26 AM
yellercat
Senior User
10-4 KO, matter of fact I haven't put an air wrench on it yet just the ratchet, so maybe try that first. the rat a tat might work better than old school ...

Old 01-22-2019, 08:41 AM
KubotaOrange76
Post Fiend
sometimes i like to try applying torque in the clockwise direction as well, work it back and forth. Tread lightly with the impact, but it may do the trick. Shock is the key to break that bond

Old 01-22-2019, 09:01 AM
ZombieF150
Senior User
ZombieF150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hello Dalton and Yellercat! I'm from Jonesboro,Ar myself. I didn't see anyone mention a Haynes manual,or I missed it. I have found it to be immensely valuable for working on my 93 along with online problem solving. Also an OBD1 reader is gonna save a bunch or headaches along with some PB Blaster and Marvel Mystery oil.

I know a fella who has got 2 or 3 of these body style trucks sitting in his yard that he uses to keep his other two going so there is another possibility for parts replacement tho i don't think any of them have I6's in them, I think they are mostly 302's. I see a LOT of these body style trucks running around here so people must be keeping them running somehow and most of them appear to be in good shape,not all cancer ridden.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:29 AM
yellercat
Senior User
KO agree, will do !
Zombie, old Stompin' grounds for me! Know that area well as born in Paragould and high schooled in Jonebur!
Wonder if one of those trucks was A/C manual and has a good 'suitcase' or air box on the firewall ! I would be interested if so.
These are popular trucks in the whole state and many are very well kept. Bringing this one back is getting to be fun.
Can you check on that airbox perhaps??
Good to have you on the thread, thanks for your reply!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 88' 4.9 I-6 parked 13 years ago, worth saving?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.