Exhaust brake

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 02:14 PM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Exhaust brake

To those of you that have the 6.7, which mode do you use the exhaust brake while towing, there is regular exhaust brake mode, and automatic mode. It's a little confusing to me as it's the first time having an exhaust brake, and I haven't used the truck enough yet. I read the manual but it doesn't take the place of experienced users.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:51 PM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by brickman
To those of you that have the 6.7, which mode do you use the exhaust brake while towing, there is regular exhaust brake mode, and automatic mode. It's a little confusing to me as it's the first time having an exhaust brake, and I haven't used the truck enough yet. I read the manual but it doesn't take the place of experienced users.
to piggy back on Brickman’s question, besides using the EB while towing, do you use it on unloaded rides and if so what mode?

Old 12-28-2017, 10:13 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,686 Likes on 2,747 Posts
I use my exhaust brake when I'm towing or if I'm going down a long pass unloaded.

I generally keep to the Automatic mode, but there are some mountain passes that I go to manual on. As near as I can tell it works like this:

Automatic: just what it says. You don't have to do anything. Top a pass at 55 MPH and it will keep you at ~55 MPH using the exhaust brake as well as lower gears in the transmission.

Manual: You have to gear down. Use the M mode on the gear selector and then the +/- button on the gear selector handle. As near as I can tell, the exhaust brake doesn't do anything in Manual mode if you aren't manually shifting.

The above is based on my experience, not from reading the manual.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:09 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I set both the CC and EB. Keeps the truck within a mile or two climbing or descending.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:35 AM
brickman
Elder User
Originally Posted by 69cj
I set both the CC and EB. Keeps the truck within a mile or two climbing or descending.
Do you use the EB in auto or manual?

Old 12-29-2017, 07:39 AM
brickman
Elder User
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I use my exhaust brake when I'm towing or if I'm going down a long pass unloaded.

I generally keep to the Automatic mode, but there are some mountain passes that I go to manual on. As near as I can tell it works like this:

Automatic: just what it says. You don't have to do anything. Top a pass at 55 MPH and it will keep you at ~55 MPH using the exhaust brake as well as lower gears in the transmission.

Manual: You have to gear down. Use the M mode on the gear selector and then the +/- button on the gear selector handle. As near as I can tell, the exhaust brake doesn't do anything in Manual mode if you aren't manually shifting.

The above is based on my experience, not from reading the manual.
Thanks that helps. I always thought the EB only worked in conjunction with the brake pedal.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:55 PM
slapshot12
More Turbo
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
I use it in auto mode only when towing my trailer, otherwise, it stays off.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:24 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you use the EB in auto or manual?
Auto, don’t need manual in that scenario even when towing.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:39 PM
travlingman
Mountain Pass
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I use both modes when towing my 16K fiver. In tow/haul mode I use manual mode when on interstate or in town traffic. When letting off the go pedal it will slow you some, but every time you touch the brake pedal it will cause a downshift and up the pressure on the exhaust brake. When in the mountains I will use the auto mode. As I top a mountain, I let off the go pedal and sometimes will touch the brake pedal. After touching the pedal, your speed will stay there.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:05 AM
Krazyhorse
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks that helps. I always thought the EB only worked in conjunction with the brake pedal.
My experience as well. Towing on Colorado mtn. passes.....auto.

Regular driving in hilly country, I usually turn on manual....

It is fantastic when combined with cruise control in mountain towing.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:46 PM
captcolour
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 on manual mode. You don't have to downshift first, just touch the brake pedal. I have been using just manual mode both around town and when towing. Will have to try automatic mode when towing.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:16 PM
mtnguy
More Turbo
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts
On the Interstate with our without our 5th wheel trailer, exhaust brake off.

On 2 or 4 lane open roads with no major hills, exhaust brake off.

On 2 or 4 lane roads around towns without trailer, exhaust brake off.

On 2 or 4 lane roads around towns with trailer, manual exhaust brake on.

Mountains around here on the downhill side, with or without the trailer, manual exhaust brake on, transmission in manual mode (3rd gear with trailer, 4th without trailer). We have fairly long 7% grades, with sharp curves (some marked as 20 mpg safe speed) along with some straight stretches. Selecting the gear manually allows the truck to roll a bit on the straight stretches, but not downshift severely when I brake for the curves. 3rd gear with a trailer seems to be a good compromise, with slight braking needed to slow down for the curves.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:39 PM
Canvas Man
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in the mountains of western North Carolina and I am always going over some mountain. What I do is turn on tow haul when going down hill, tap the breaks to down shift to what ever gear I want take my foot of the go pedal and let it cost. When I want or need to slow down I hit the EB once to slow down when I want to go hit the EB button twice to turn it off, repeate as needed. Once your down turn off tow haul and keep on trucking. I do the same when towing. In auto mode the truck will remember what speed you where going when you took your foot off the gas and keep you at that speed, it will downshift as needed automatically or upshift if needed. I don't use auto very much because I have control issues. Enjoy your new truck.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:02 AM
kevin211
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone have the after market EB? i'm looking to install on on my 2013 f-250 for towing when the time comes

Old 05-25-2018, 08:32 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
Don't know why you'd think you'd need one kevin. The TOW/HAUL mode built into these trucks is plenty ! Pulled my 30' 5er all over the US and it's never met a mountain it couldn't handle.

Quick Reply: Exhaust brake