Screw in studs and guide plates - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Screw in studs and guide plates

Old 12-28-2017, 12:32 AM
Ron/RPMS
Senior User
Ron/RPMS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Screw in studs and guide plates

Did a search and did'nt find the answer.
Do they make a dedicated guide plate for the 300 EFI head or do you need to buy the adjustable ones or split and weld SBF ones?

I will be mill pedestal and tap 7/16-14 and probably use the earlier rockers.
I may try the 1.73 chevy rocker later, but will check for push rod clearance on mock up.

thanks ron...............

Old 12-28-2017, 11:05 AM
AbandonedBronco
AbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to all
These are what is used stock. For some reason, they only sell them for the V8s in a set of 16, but they're the same and I used them on my pedestal rockers (you'll just have 2 left over).

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...UaAlx8EALw_wcB

If this isn't what you're looking for, maybe I misunderstood.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:25 PM
Ron/RPMS
Senior User
I am going to convert my head to an adjustable valve train and I was looking for guide plates like these for the 300.

Ford Performance Parts M-6566-D311 - Ford Performance Parts

Thanks for the reply.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:34 PM
AbandonedBronco
AbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to all
Oh I gotcha now.

Yeah, if I recall right, the EFI head has round pushrod holes (which can be nice since you can install larger diameter pushrods if you so choose). The older heads (like mine that I converted to screw in adjustable rockers) have square holes which keep the pushrods lined up (but then limit them to 5/16").

If that's the case, I can't help you there since I didn't need them for my build.
However, if the pedestal rocker channels for the 302 work on the 300, then I would think the guide plates would as well.

Maybe someone here who's used them will chime in.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:46 PM
old28
Senior User
old28 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am currently installing 7/16" screw in rocker studs in my 1992 EFI head that has round hole where the push rod come through the head. As you know already you will need guide plates to make the system work.

I am using a set of Comp Cam SBC adjustable guide plates that are tacked welded. They are #4835-8, $59 at Summit. They are for 5/16" push rods. Remember you must run heat treated hardend push rods with the guide plates.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:22 PM
AbandonedBronco
It looks like O'Reilly carries guide plates for the 302 (Melling MGP1084), so maybe you could pick one up at a parts store and see if it fits? Getting one locally would be nice for sizing it up, and for returning it if it doesn't work. (Or even if it does work and then order a full set on line since they're $13 each.)

Old 12-28-2017, 02:12 PM
fordman75
Postmaster
fordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to behold
Don't forget about changing to hardened push rods too.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:13 PM
old28
Senior User
Ron/RPMS -- Did you get what you were looking for or do we need to

get a little more information out there.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:07 PM
Ron/RPMS
Senior User
Thanks guys for the information given. The multi quote option never seems to work for me so I will go back and answer each post.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:14 PM
Ron/RPMS
Senior User
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco View Post

However, if the pedestal rocker channels for the 302 work on the 300, then I would think the guide plates would as well.
Yes I check the channels with a set of 302 heads I have, and they appear to be the same, but in the past I have had to cut 302 plates to make them line up. I'm leaning toward the adjustable right now. thanks

Old 12-29-2017, 11:22 PM
Ron/RPMS
Senior User
Originally Posted by old28 View Post
I am currently installing 7/16" screw in rocker studs in my 1992 EFI head that has round hole where the push rod come through the head. As you know already you will need guide plates to make the system work.

I am using a set of Comp Cam SBC adjustable guide plates that are tacked welded. They are #4835-8, $59 at Summit. They are for 5/16" push rods. Remember you must run heat treated hardend push rods with the guide plates.

This is most likely the way I will go. Just need to decide on weather to go with early model 300 rockers or chebby 250-6 rockers. When i mock up for the plates I'll look at the geometry of the different rockers. thanks

Old 12-30-2017, 03:20 PM
old28
Senior User
Ron/RPMS -- Glad you got what you needed to make the modification to screw in studs.

Keep in mind that if you drill/tap the pedestals for 7/16-14 threads you can install 7/16 x 7/16 or 3/8 x 7/16 screw in studs. Maybe the 3/8 type for a stock cam & springs and 7/16 later with a bigger cam and higher lift springs.

I know we have said it more than once but you must replace your stock push rods with hardened/heat treated units when you use guide plates.

Might want to try a set of stamped steel 250/292 chevy 1.75 x 3/8 rockers with your current cam for a little low dollar power gain. With your pedestals taped for 7/16 you can switch to straight 7/16 studs if you want to use BBC 1.7 ratio roller rockers with a big lift cam & springs.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:21 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
BaronVonAutomatc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Rather than milling pedestals on a later model head, just find an older head with studs and the pushrod slots are machined so no need for guideplates.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:29 PM
fordman75
Postmaster
fordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BaronVonAutomatc View Post
Rather than milling pedestals on a later model head, just find an older head with studs and the pushrod slots are machined so no need for guideplates.
You still need to mill and tap them for screw in studs. Unless you just pin them.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:05 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
BaronVonAutomatc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well, it's nice insurance on a street engine but unless you're running 300lb valve springs for some reason probably not required.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Screw in studs and guide plates

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.