Can you tell me if my turbos are bad? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Can you tell me if my turbos are bad?

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Old 12-27-2017, 04:27 PM
tj90
Senior User
tj90 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Need help for my sisters 2008 F450 ~100k miles. She was occasionally loosing power and gets a code that there is something wrong with her exhaust gas recirc system. The code will clear eventually. The truck is definitely not limping. She also notices smoke from engine bay sometimes at stop lights when making turns.

She took it into a diesel mechanic (tractor trailer type) and they found a braided steel hose to the turbos that was busted. They said that she is getting exhaust gas spilling into engine bay. They told her that they dont work on the F450s that she needed to go to another mechanic. She did that and 2nd mechanic told her that she needed both turbos replaced ($9k!). He also offered to buy the truck (which is a major red flag). He showed her a canister in the middle of the engine bay that had cooked oil in it (but Im not sure what it was but its not supposed to have oil according to the mechanic).

I talked to some friends that have have the 6.4L engines and one knew of a guy who had the turbos replaced. His cost was ~$6.5k for the replacement and that most dont do the job because you have to remove the cab to get to the turbos.

Unfortunately Im across the country so I cant look at the engine myself, but I am hoping that one of you guys can shed some light on this problem. My sister is reporting that her turbo gauge in the cab isnt working now. Do you think that the turbos are on the way out or gone? or do you think its a simple hose? Is there a danger of seizing the engine if the oil cool lines are plugged to the turbos? Maybe one turbo is out?

Regards,
TJ90

Old 12-28-2017, 08:03 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well first off.....the exhaust up pipes are known to fail on these trucks.....which would cause exhaust fumes in engine bay as well as no boost from turbos. So I wouldn't suspect bad turbos just yet.....
Only braided lines running to the turbos I can think of would be the oil lines I'm thinking....if one of those was broken you'd have oil everywhere in the engine bay.
Canister hmmm...I'm picturing the oil filter cap in my head....so that's def supposed to have oil in it lol
EGR codes could most likely be a fault with the EGR valve...I'm going to assume truck is stock with the emissions system fully intact? Egr code most likely gets thrown during regen? Buddies stock truck was throwing EGR codes during regen....can't recall code #...but something along lines of EGR position out of range or something like that.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:12 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Copper.Farm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Copper.Farm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Agreed - braided line is oil feed to the turbo bearings, it commonly attracts dirt and grime but a break would lead to a major mess and catostrophic motor failure within a few minutes of operation. So BS on that.

The exhaust up pipes will split which could lead to exhaust in the engine bay and no energy to push the turbos, this would be evident by using any diagnostic tool that can monitor Exhaust Back Presure and Manifold Absolute Presure. Motor would still be functional but would not have its full power potential.

So the turbos might be fine, the up pipes are easy to diagnose.

Where is this truck resting?

Good luck.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:13 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Copper.Farm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Copper.Farm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mods please move this to the 6.4L section.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:00 AM
redford
redford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputation
Moved to 6.4L PSD forum.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:50 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
I'm throwing the BS flag on the mechanics.

Look for soot.

Copper is spot on.

Dual turbo failure would be evident because of the feed line. No oil in pan and an engine bay well lubed.

Search for soot.

Denny

Old 12-28-2017, 01:57 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Afterthought:

How well is this truck maintained. Any Mods? Tuned? Used as a daily or a hauler? What state is it normally operated in for temperature solutions. Ever been in an accident........etc. More is better.

Denny

Old 12-28-2017, 02:03 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
Double afterthought:

Can she get the codes. That should narrow the guess factor.

Sorry.

Denny