Sponsored by:

Double DIN install

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 06:24 AM
DougsV10
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double DIN install

Got this for my wife for Christmas first question is will it fit? What kit to buy to make it fit? And if it won't fit what to buy?

Old 12-27-2017, 10:15 AM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 386 Likes on 237 Posts
You need a Metra 95-5817 dash kit.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:13 AM
Bhead
Freshman User
Just call Crutchfield and they will tell you what is needed and ship it cheap. Then if assistance is needed, they will walk you through everything. I have been using them for years and just updated again my double din in the Excu.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:36 AM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Received 491 Likes on 146 Posts
I'm looking into the same sort of thing. You did not state what year your EX is. I'm guessing from your name its a V10. Up to and including 2004, the V10 EX used analog steering wheel controls. 2005 they changed to the new CAN Bus system.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l-adapter.html

1) Radio wire harness that plugs into the factory plug so you can match up to your aftermarket radio.
2) Double Din mount kit. You need to measure the opening in your dash and the measurements of the radio. More then likely, the opening is too wide and not tall enough. There is a mounting kit that has some extra material on the sides to fill that in. If the radio is too tall, you will need to take a little material off the top and/or bottom of the dash to make it fit. Use the mounting kit you get as a guide as to if you need to do the top and/or bottom and go slow to make sure you do not take too much off at a time.
3) Unless your head unit has a built-in analog steering wheel adapter (newer Android Units do) you will need one of those if you want to keep using the controls on your steering wheel.
4) if you are not familiar with wiring, patience. Lay out the wire harnesses and match up the wires out of the EX first. If all looks well you can splice them together so all you need to do in the EX is plug one end into the new head unit and the other into the dash harness.

The camera(s) are always fun, and depending on where you want to place them, can be a challenge to wire. I installed a DVR w/rear camera. I mounted the unit above my rearview mirror and the rear camera just below the 3rd brake light on the upper hatch. This way I can see directly immediately behind me and also aid with single person trailer hook-ups. For the head unit camera, I think I will mount mine around the rear license plate so I can see further behind me at the lower angle.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:00 PM
Flyboy1100
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Puoneer camera firs perfect inside the liftgate handle, looks factory in that location. And the pioneer camera comes with a ridiculous amount of wire. I ran it along the roof and have about 10ft left over

the radio works great with the metra kit but i find it is hard to remove the dash panel once the radio is locked in place.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:33 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyboy1100
Puoneer camera firs perfect inside the liftgate handle, looks factory in that location. And the pioneer camera comes with a ridiculous amount of wire. I ran it along the roof and have about 10ft left over

the radio works great with the metra kit but i find it is hard to remove the dash panel once the radio is locked in place.
Do you have a picture of this?

Old 12-28-2017, 03:47 PM
Flyboy1100
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 12-29-2017, 06:40 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would return the dual and get a good name brand radio. The dual brand is cheap and not of good quality. If you install it I predict you will be removing it in less than a year! I had a Dual brand DVD player/monitors and they stopped working in 9 months.

Go with a Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood etc.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:19 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DougsV10
Got this for my wife for Christmas first question is will it fit? What kit to buy to make it fit? And if it won't fit what to buy?
You will like it.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:42 AM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper
I would return the dual and get a good name brand radio. The dual brand is cheap and not of good quality. If you install it I predict you will be removing it in less than a year! I had a Dual brand DVD player/monitors and they stopped working in 9 months.

Go with a Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood etc.
I've got an old DUAL amp that I had in my 92 F150 that I'm going to put in the EX once I change out my head unit. I used it to power a pair of 10" EV's in an external box back in the day. Always did a good job for me, and can say that DUAL has been around for a long time. Honestly, most of these electronics (radios, amps, etc) are not what they used to be. Even some of the older stuff they made it complicated just so they could charge premium prices. My Eclipse radio needed a $50 Eclipse plug to plug in an aftermarket backup camera (their backup camera was like $150). Turnes out the Eclipse plug is just 2 wires, video and ground. Cut their plug off and add a $3 RCA. camera now plugs into the Eclipse.

I'm going with an off brand head for the EX as well. Though I was going to install my spare Eclipse, but it is lacking so many of today's features. I could spend a lot of
$$ getting all the separate items to add on to bring it up to speed, but I'd end up paying more than one of these new heads that have everything in them already. And for the price, if it does go bad, you toss it and get another NEWER model and stick it in.

But these are just my thoughts on the matter.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:59 AM
mojakus
Junior User
Be aware that some dash kits (metra in particular) make it very difficult to remove the new head unit once installed. I just jammed my aftermarket double-din into the slot after trimming the plastic and removing the top bolts. The pressure holds it in just fine, while also allowing it to be pulled out when I need to trouble-shoot or make upgrades (for instance, I placed a small power pack amp behind the dash and had to re-wire, then had to adjust again to get rid of engine whine).

Old 12-31-2017, 10:26 AM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by mojakus
Be aware that some dash kits (metra in particular) make it very difficult to remove the new head unit once installed. I just jammed my aftermarket double-din into the slot after trimming the plastic and removing the top bolts. The pressure holds it in just fine, while also allowing it to be pulled out when I need to trouble-shoot or make upgrades (for instance, I placed a small power pack amp behind the dash and had to re-wire, then had to adjust again to get rid of engine whine).
My Metra dash kit states that once installed, the dash would have to be taken apart to get the head unit out. There are tabs on the edges that once pushed in they will expand back out and lock the radio in. I am going to do many test fits, trimming the locks so that it fits in and the tabs will provide pressure, but with proper pressure (maybe I'll add a pull strap?) the modified tabs will be able to retract allowing the head unit to be pushed/pulled out.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:40 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
The Metra 70-1771 factory wire harness adapter does fit, but it's missing a few wires that I need. My new Android radio has wires to accept the ODB steering wheel controls, but the adapter does not provide these two wires. My new radio wire colors match the Metra adapter colors perfectly. But the Metra adapter does not match the EX's wire colors. So might anyone be able to tell me the color of SV-Key1 (Steering wheel control 1) and SV-Key2 (Steering wheel control 2)?

My Metra 95-5817 Double Din Multi-Kit might work. I should be able to trim the upper and lower lip off to make the radio slide into the existing hole. If I install the Metra side plate (Left plate on the right side upside down?) it fits the radio opening better and locks in place, but it sits kinda far back and would make my radio very recessed into the radio opening. I think I can make it work by trimming the textured lip on the Metra kit down to allow the radio to be installed further out.

Lastly, I am going to see if I can install the plastic guide on the back of the factory radio onto my new radio. I think if I file the catches on the Metra install kit parts down so they only catch and not lock the radio in, the guide will also hold it in so it will not just slide out accidentally.

I tried to attach the photos in the order that I am talking about them.

Attached Images       
Old 01-15-2018, 09:36 AM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
A google search showed that the wiring diagram to the 16 pin radio wiring diagram that I needed was here (someplace) all along. Pins 12 and 13 are for the steering wheel control.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...chmentid=71810

Old 01-15-2018, 09:57 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
I am really leaning towards this radio:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/99-05-Ford-...19.m1438.l2649

Quick Reply: Double DIN install