Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Help! 7.3 with problems with video

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 02:42 PM
cabloom300
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I ran some power service 911 through the tank and fuel bowl and changed my inline filter on the frame rail. It seemed to run better after running in for awhile. I haven't tried to drive it yet but should there be this much air going through the filter? Maybe it's because I took the first out for a new one I'm not sure. Hopefully this will cure my problem
https://youtu.be/xRJBjrhOf2I

Old 12-29-2017, 11:09 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
That filter is 90% air, no bueno. If it's running ok, get on down the road. But I think it's time to drop the tank again and see why so much air is getting sucked up.

Cycle the fuel pump on and off a few times, see if it helps.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:44 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
That sure sounds like cold fuel or air in fuel... but I wouldn't rule out one other possibility: Might I suggest a Cody test?

Old 12-30-2017, 07:00 AM
cabloom300
Elder User
Update

After changing the inline filter (I will be changing the real fuel filter but didn't have oem handy) and adding power service to the tank and fuel bowl. It started running better. All the sudden it seem to smooth all the way out to the way it should be . Drive it for 10-15 mins and all seems fine and good on power as well. But brings me back to the video I posted. Why was there so much air? I will check the next time I run it to see how much air is getting in there now that it's running good. So just a reminder, if this was a fuel geling issue (which I've never had before) treat your fuel folks. I usually do but did not yet this year and the truck sat for 3 days in roughly 5 degree weather (maybe I had some bad fuel this time) so for what ever reason seemed to give me problems. Also Tugly, or anyone else. What fuel pressure gauage/sender do you recommend? Autometer or isspro be fine? I have glowshift and needless to say I've learned my lesson... Thanks

Old 12-30-2017, 07:12 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I've been using ISSPRO EV2s for years with no issues - other than a wire working loose from the connector one time. Autometers are good, but I preferred the look of the EV2.

5 degrees and no additive? Yeah... gelling. When very little fuel can get to the injectors, air or oil is all they have to run on.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:50 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by cabloom300
After changing the inline filter
What inline filter are you running? Is it before the pump?

Fuel gelling? Since you're in PA, just look at the diesel pump. Fueling stations are required to post the minimum temp to which the current fuel is treated.

NOT!!! This is Pennsylvania! There's no requirements for diesel quality or treatment or to even inform customers IF the fuel is treated

But...your consolation prize is the HIGHEST FUEL TAXES in the country.

Write your Congressman and express your sincere appreciation for your disabled truck. I have.

Furthermore, if we are REQUIRED to treat our fuel because we cannot trust the pumps, shouldn't we get a DISCOUNT on diesel?

When I brought our Excursion home a few years ago, it was my first onroad diesel. I've had offroad construction equipment...forever...and my question was how bad is onroad diesel that it cannot be trusted for filtering and cold weather use.

Seriously, write your Congressman.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:21 AM
cabloom300
Elder User
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
What inline filter are you running? Is it before the pump?

Fuel gelling? Since you're in PA, just look at the diesel pump. Fueling stations are required to post the minimum temp to which the current fuel is treated.

NOT!!! This is Pennsylvania! There's no requirements for diesel quality or treatment or to even inform customers IF the fuel is treated

But...your consolation prize is the HIGHEST FUEL TAXES in the country.

Write your Congressman and express your sincere appreciation for your disabled truck. I have.

Furthermore, if we are REQUIRED to treat our fuel because we cannot trust the pumps, shouldn't we get a DISCOUNT on diesel?

When I brought our Excursion home a few years ago, it was my first onroad diesel. I've had offroad construction equipment...forever...and my question was how bad is onroad diesel that it cannot be trusted for filtering and cold weather use.

Seriously, write your Congressman.
LOL I hear you with the high diesel tax. It's quite insane. And since I did the hutch mod I put the napa/wix 3392? Or whatever the number is. It's just before the pump. I basically replicated how skyskijason does his hutch mod. I did have some crap at the bottom of my filter but not a ton or I wouldn't think anywhere close to restricting flow through it

Old 12-30-2017, 12:41 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
"But...your consolation prize is the HIGHEST FUEL TAXES in the country"

Don't know what you folks are paying, but with the "new and improved" taxes here in Cal I'll bet that we have you beat. Don't have the exact ##'s but gas went up by six or eight cents/GAL and diesel was 15-20 cents.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:45 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cabloom300
LOL I hear you with the high diesel tax. It's quite insane. And since I did the hutch mod I put the napa/wix 3392? Or whatever the number is. It's just before the pump. I basically replicated how skyskijason does his hutch mod. I did have some crap at the bottom of my filter but not a ton or I wouldn't think anywhere close to restricting flow through it
It's generally considered a no-no to put a filter before the pump. Screens down to 100 microns are okay, but a number of people report problems with the pump trying to suck fuel through an actual prepump filter.

It may be related to your troubles...

Oh- avoid the honey colored "additive" at the convenience stores. According to tests, it does NOTHING to prevent gelling, just some lubrication. Erie at -16F taught me that

Old 12-30-2017, 12:59 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
"But...your consolation prize is the HIGHEST FUEL TAXES in the country"

Don't know what you folks are paying, but with the "new and improved" taxes here in Cal I'll bet that we have you beat. Don't have the exact ##'s but gas went up by six or eight cents/GAL and diesel was 15-20 cents.
PA Legislators and Governor hate Pennsylvanians

If adjusted for cost of living differences, you guys would have to be about $1.50/gal to keep up

https://taxfoundation.org/state-gaso...ax-rates-2017/

Old 12-30-2017, 01:24 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
That chart does not reflect our "new and improve" rate but you guys may still take the cake. Now I'll have to check at the pump, but I am not sure if they need to state what it is if they don't care to.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:49 PM
cabloom300
Elder User
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
It's generally considered a no-no to put a filter before the pump. Screens down to 100 microns are okay, but a number of people report problems with the pump trying to suck fuel through an actual prepump filter.

It may be related to your troubles...

Oh- avoid the honey colored "additive" at the convenience stores. According to tests, it does NOTHING to prevent gelling, just some lubrication. Erie at -16F taught me that
I'm not sure what you use but I've always used stanadyne. It maybe not be the best anti gel additive I'm not sure but many people swear by it. Would be interested to know what everyone uses

Old 12-30-2017, 02:03 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
There is a "chart" available the has a break down on a bunch of different additives. Depends on what your need are. Stanadyne is a very good product but some others beat them in lubricity but don't fare as well in some other aspects such as water dispersion ETC.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:42 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Stanadyne or PowerService is what I consider top shelf

Old 12-30-2017, 04:35 PM
machmedic
Laughing Gas
Received 106 Likes on 61 Posts
I always thought NC was high, lets all just move to Alaska!

Quick Reply: Help! 7.3 with problems with video