2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Door latch not engaging on F350 Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 06:37 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Has anyone with this issue, looked at an 18 to see if the latched was changed?
I have to say this crap would **** me off.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:17 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BGMSPD
Best advice I can offer on this topic is to have the dealership remove the door panel and check for moisture on the latch and cables at a minimum. I was told there should be no moisture or water in the door, so if that exists then they need to figure out the source. I just got my truck back after 8 days in the shop. Replaced the cables, window belt molding and seals for the door handle. No ideal if that is gonna fix the problem, no real below freezing temps here for a little bit but only time will tell.
Very good advice.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:11 AM
Texman89
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fluid Film and heat gun.

Just fixed mine with Fluid Film and a heat gun.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:25 PM
jwoodzx7r
Freshman User
I have a 2017 and this just happened to me this morning. This was the first real cold night we've had this winter and it was only about 20 degrees late at night. I went to put my kids in the truck to take them to daycare and all 4 doors would not shut. The truck was locked overnight, I remote started it, and then unlocked... all 4 doors opened fine and not frozen to the cab. However when I went to shut one of them the door just bounced back open (almost like the latch on the door was not even there). I check all the other doors and each of them were the same, no latch working. I immediately called the dealer and drove 15 miles up to drop it off, with ratchet straps holding my doors shut from the inside... ridiculous. They said it was a 6-7 hour job to go through the recall and do the shields, insulation, and new grease as that's what the recall calls for. I'm supposed to get it back by end of tomorrow and then have a weekend camping trip in an area that will be in the single digits over night. Will report back if it fixes the issue.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:59 PM
DRKBC
Senior User
Originally Posted by jwoodzx7r
I have a 2017 and this just happened to me this morning. This was the first real cold night we've had this winter and it was only about 20 degrees late at night. I went to put my kids in the truck to take them to daycare and all 4 doors would not shut. The truck was locked overnight, I remote started it, and then unlocked... all 4 doors opened fine and not frozen to the cab. However when I went to shut one of them the door just bounced back open (almost like the latch on the door was not even there). I check all the other doors and each of them were the same, no latch working. I immediately called the dealer and drove 15 miles up to drop it off, with ratchet straps holding my doors shut from the inside... ridiculous. They said it was a 6-7 hour job to go through the recall and do the shields, insulation, and new grease as that's what the recall calls for. I'm supposed to get it back by end of tomorrow and then have a weekend camping trip in an area that will be in the single digits over night. Will report back if it fixes the issue.
My problem is back ... it was supposed to have been resolved last winter but as soon as it got cold again the issue returned both with the doors not closing and the locks not coming up. I got the official recall this fall but the last dealer claimed that they had replaced the locks and completed the service, I'm thinking and hoping that wasn't the case as I don't want to go through another winter of this. I spoke with the dealer today to try and get a description of what was being replaced, he said until they get further into it they won't know if they will be replacing the locks or just doing the seals and lubricating the locks, he also mentioned maybe the latch was the problem. They have extended the warranty for this issue, I am honestly amazed there hasn't been a serious or fatal injury related to this issue.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:49 PM
jwoodzx7r
Freshman User
Originally Posted by DRKBC
My problem is back ... it was supposed to have been resolved last winter but as soon as it got cold again the issue returned both with the doors not closing and the locks not coming up. I got the official recall this fall but the last dealer claimed that they had replaced the locks and completed the service, I'm thinking and hoping that wasn't the case as I don't want to go through another winter of this. I spoke with the dealer today to try and get a description of what was being replaced, he said until they get further into it they won't know if they will be replacing the locks or just doing the seals and lubricating the locks, he also mentioned maybe the latch was the problem. They have extended the warranty for this issue, I am honestly amazed there hasn't been a serious or fatal injury related to this issue.
When I was in this morning they had said there was originally a SB from a year ago roughly that merely was a "shield" of some sort and records showed my truck had that done. This newer one is actually something that was considered a "Customer Satisfaction Program 18N03" which is a little more than just the shield, it supposedly is additional insulation and lubrication (I'll get more details from the tech on what they did when I pick it up). I didn't own the truck a year ago so can't speak to previous work. So technically, this isn't even a formal recall where Ford is forced to address the issue from what I understand. But I agree and am amazed it isn't a formal recall for safety.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:03 PM
NotJustaTruck
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been happening to me as well- I'm starting to think it's faulty actuators and/or a design flaw in the door itself. Not good for Ford in public relations department....The longer this goes on the deeper the damage- people don't want to spend this kind of money on flawed engineering. What's next?