Best tow mirrors? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best tow mirrors?

Old 01-03-2018, 01:17 PM
Postmaster

Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.
I got lucky a couple of years ago and scored a new take off set that was removed from a truck being converted into a motorhome-The were OEM Ford with lights and heat, I got them through a surplus type place on Ebay.

I wired everything but the heat into my L99 F350-I DID run the wires for the heat, just haven't hooked them up yet.

I was afraid aftermarket stuff would vibrate.........
Old 01-03-2018, 02:01 PM
Postmaster

brian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to behold
I have been running my 1A Auto mirrors for years now and am very happy with them. They have a little vibration at highways speeds but no more than my OEM ones did. They look, feel, and act just like my OEM ones.

I love the vision that the '08 style gives but HATE the aesthetics with our body style. I don't see them on their site any more but I went with the the '03-'07 style (textured black) that have heat, lights (marker and turn), and swing 180 degrees (back AND forward). I'm not sure when they started the mirror swinging in both directions but my OEM ones did. I went OCD and bought the pins for the OEM connector in the door to wire up the extras (heat and lights) for the complete original look and being able to disconnect the mirror without cutting wires if I have any issues. Some day I'll get them hooked up along with the timer relay for the heat. The heat was on with the ignition for at least the '03-'04 years and I don't want the heat on when the truck is on. I know some have used an Explorer rear defroster switch but it doesn't quite match for my tastes.

I do like the '17 style with the bevel on them which looks a little more like ours. I don't know if the bolt pattern is the same but they will go on my wish list for when my current pair start to go (or are taken off by a lane-splitting motorcycle).
Old 01-03-2018, 02:09 PM
Post Fiend

F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
Like Supercab, I got lucky back in 2012 and scored a new take off set that was removed from a 2011 truck being converted into who knows what - they are OEM Ford with lights, power extending, and power folding -- not sure about being heated, but I believe they are. I got them through a conversion shop who was selling through eBay (seller sbauldry), and snagged them for about $400 which is still a really good price when you consider they have the power extending feature.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:18 PM
Posting Guru

brandon_oma#692 has a good reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a good reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a good reputation on FTE.
I have used take OEM manual mirrors. nothing electrical except the temp sensor wire that they cut the sensor off of. cheap and effective.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:26 PM
Post Fiend

Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
If I could find a 08+ style mirror without the smooth or chrome cap and without turn signals, I would the next one to buy a set. I like the plan and subtle look of the 99+, but like the functionality of the 08+ mirrors.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:33 PM
Posting Guru

brandon_oma#692 has a good reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a good reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
If I could find a 08+ style mirror without the smooth or chrome cap and without turn signals, I would the next one to buy a set. I like the plan and subtle look of the 99+, but like the functionality of the 08+ mirrors.
like this?
Old 01-03-2018, 03:44 PM
Post Fiend

F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
I'm not crazy about the amber lens on my blinker lights on my mirrors, and am seriously considering blacking them out with tinted lenses to minimize that issue when I install them.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:47 PM
Freshman User

1fastktm is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
I have been running my 1A Auto mirrors for years now and am very happy with them. They have a little vibration at highways speeds but no more than my OEM ones did. They look, feel, and act just like my OEM ones.

I love the vision that the '08 style gives but HATE the aesthetics with our body style. I don't see them on their site any more but I went with the the '03-'07 style (textured black) that have heat, lights (marker and turn), and swing 180 degrees (back AND forward). I'm not sure when they started the mirror swinging in both directions but my OEM ones did. I went OCD and bought the pins for the OEM connector in the door to wire up the extras (heat and lights) for the complete original look and being able to disconnect the mirror without cutting wires if I have any issues. Some day I'll get them hooked up along with the timer relay for the heat. The heat was on with the ignition for at least the '03-'04 years and I don't want the heat on when the truck is on. I know some have used an Explorer rear defroster switch but it doesn't quite match for my tastes.

I do like the '17 style with the bevel on them which looks a little more like ours. I don't know if the bolt pattern is the same but they will go on my wish list for when my current pair start to go (or are taken off by a lane-splitting motorcycle).

The 17 mirrors have a very different mount. I have 17 style mirrors on my truck but they vibrate a bit more than stock. They do extend a lot further out though. I did replace the spotter mirrors with Ford glass so there is 0 distortion.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:32 PM
Senior User

RigCity is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think the 08-10 are the best feels like such a major difference when I jump in the 450 from the 250. They are about 30 percent larger. My 250 came with manual mirrors thendrivers broke so I replaced it with a power version as I want to do power mirrors for quick adjustment especially when towing. The the new trucks came out and now Iím leaning towards putting a camera in each mirror and link it to the in dash screen or this rear view with 3 screens built in. To start of course additionally thinking of one camera up front, and one in the brake light to join the backup camera.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:34 PM
Post Fiend

Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
Brandon, replied to your PM and thanks for doing the hard work for me. I think that is 100% manual though, I am looking for power adjustment with the solid backing like you posting. Not sure if they exist though. If not, I might just have to bite the bullet and do like Pete mentioned and act like the turn signal is not there. Maybe a coat of plasti-dip or something on the turn signal lens would make it look more like the mirror body itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigCity View Post
I think the 08-10 are the best feels like such a major difference when I jump in the 450 from the 250.
Is there a difference between the 08-10 and 11-16 mirrors that I am not seeing?
Old 01-03-2018, 06:06 PM
Posting Guru

Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.
Sous, is this what you're looking for?

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-03-2018, 06:11 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado350 View Post
Sous, is this what you're looking for?

https://www.amazon.com/Telescoping-F.../dp/B00Q2PB024
I don't want to make this thread about me or my preferences in the tow mirror department, but... That is the closest I have found. I would prefer a power mirror such as that one, but with the cover/housing like the one Brandon posted. So, a power mirror with a solid (non-blinker lens) back to it. I don't think they exist though because I think that Ford said if you are getting power mirrors, then you are getting turn signals too.

Thanks for the link though.

EDIT: Although, I see they have a 99-03 version with the proper plugs on it already so no adapters are needed. I might be able to overlook the smoked turn signals in that case...
Old 01-03-2018, 06:18 PM
Posting Guru

Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
I don't want to make this thread about me or my preferences in the tow mirror department, but... That is the closest I have found. I would prefer a power mirror such as that one, but with the cover/housing like the one Brandon posted. So, a power mirror with a solid (non-blinker lens) back to it. I don't think they exist though because I think that Ford said if you are getting power mirrors, then you are getting turn signals too.

Thanks for the link though.

EDIT: Although, I see they have a 99-03 version with the proper plugs on it already so no adapters are needed. I might be able to overlook the smoked turn signals in that case...
I sent you a pm.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:00 PM
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
They work really good, and the larger size makes it easier to see.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2018, 08:11 PM
If it flies, it dies

mecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputation
Quote:
So, a power mirror with a solid (non-blinker lens) back to it. I don't think they exist though because I think that Ford said if you are getting power mirrors, then you are getting turn signals too.
One of the trucks at work (2016 F550) has the type of mirror you are looking for, base model, no turn signal or parking light. made them and you may find them in salvage yard or some other source.

1A Auto is appealing to aftermarket tendencies so most will have some bling, or maybe contact them.