2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Getting ready to order new 2018 F350 but have questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 02:25 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting ready to order new 2018 F350 but have questions

So need some help deciding on a few things. Listed below.

1. which GVWR Package to go with? Uses and how effects ride quality
2. Do you guys recommend FX4 off road package. Plus and minus?
3. Currently have 20" wheels but considering 18" for better ride. Thoughts?
4. Camper package. Again use vs ride quality.
5. I read OEM spray in bed liner is crap just wanted to confirm. Currently have Line-X
6. A must have for me is the LED headlights. Do most agree?
7. Currently have F250 but considering to goto a F350 for future capability. Does this dramatically reduce ride quality?

Thank you,

Old 12-25-2017, 02:45 PM
wfedwar
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You asked a lot of questions about ride quality. Instead of trying to address each one, I’ll say this: There are few things that will impact ride quality on an F250/350 as much as air pressure in the tires. There are slight spring rate differences between the 250 and 350. The 350 will ride significantly harsher off the lot because the rear tires will probably have 20 psi more pressure than those of a similar 250. There is only one reason to get a 250 over a 350 and that has to do with regulations. Each state/community treats it differently. In my state, the GVWR of 11500 on an F350 raises registration about $20 per year. And even that is optional-I can “downrate” my registration to match an F250, which has a GVWR generally of 10000 (I think they all do, while the F350 will vary slightly based on tire selection and gears). I’ve heard of some neighborhoods that don’t allow trucks larger than 3/4 ton. Some insurance companies charge different rates for the two different models. It’s things like this that drive the selection of 250 vs 350. They will all ride about the same, except as I mentioned when there is a larger difference in tire pressure.

The factory bedliner isn’t crap, although line x might be better.

Modt people really like the led hesdlights, although I don’t think the regular lights are bad. I got the regular lights because I didn’t want a sunroof and the backwards way everything was packaged, it was all or nothing.

I hope this helps.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:08 PM
reseehc_99
Tuned
Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by wfedwar
You asked a lot of questions about ride quality. Instead of trying to address each one, I’ll say this: There are few things that will impact ride quality on an F250/350 as much as air pressure in the tires. There are slight spring rate differences between the 250 and 350. The 350 will ride significantly harsher off the lot because the rear tires will probably have 20 psi more pressure than those of a similar 250. There is only one reason to get a 250 over a 350 and that has to do with regulations. Each state/community treats it differently. In my state, the GVWR of 11500 on an F350 raises registration about $20 per year. And even that is optional-I can “downrate” my registration to match an F250, which has a GVWR generally of 10000 (I think they all do, while the F350 will vary slightly based on tire selection and gears). I’ve heard of some neighborhoods that don’t allow trucks larger than 3/4 ton. Some insurance companies charge different rates for the two different models. It’s things like this that drive the selection of 250 vs 350. They will all ride about the same, except as I mentioned when there is a larger difference in tire pressure.

The factory bedliner isn’t crap, although line x might be better.

Modt people really like the led hesdlights, although I don’t think the regular lights are bad. I got the regular lights because I didn’t want a sunroof and the backwards way everything was packaged, it was all or nothing.

I hope this helps.

This!

Unless there are registration/insurance penalties get a 350 with the highest GVWR available.

Edit: As far as the FX4 package, unless you just HAVE to have the sticker on the side of the bed skip it and order the skid plates as a standalone option.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:18 PM
DRKBC
Senior User
I have a F350, Lariat. What I can comment on is:

I find the ride quality very good, I am coming from a GMC 2500HD (that truck was extremely stiff) and the difference is night and day. I don't have the camper package but have the snow plow package.

I here the off road package is fine if you want the skid plates most members don't seem to be to crazy about the shocks.

I didn't go with the factory bed liner. I don't think they are crap but I hear they are thinner I went with LineX but I always do. If you have a power tailgate release the LineX can effect the operation as the bumpers bind on it. Not a hard fix but just something to be aware of.

As far as 250 or 350 where I live there is a Luxury tax on the 250 but not the 350 so the price works out to be very close because of this. As a result you don't see very many 250's on the lot. I was just as happy to have the extra capacity, the people that take the downgrade package are doing so for insurance as the truck stays the same.

I don't have the LED lights mostly because you have to add BLISS to get them so they ended up to be a pretty expensive headlights. The stock lights aren't too bad at all, I may end up switching to some after market bulbs down the line. I am also not crazy about the look of the LED's, just a personal preference.

Good luck with your search they are very nice trucks. Have you settled on a trim level?

Old 12-25-2017, 03:19 PM
burgy
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
FX4 gives you the locking rear diff as I recall as well as the downhill assist. I know you can add on the down hill assist after purchase. Not sure if the locker is a separate item that can be ordered\added.
I went 350 for the load capacity as we want a big 5th wheel. Between 250 and 350 the listed capacity jumps over 1400 lbs. Easy decision for us.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:28 PM
Pioneer1
Tuned
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Skid plates for me are very important. Driving thru corn fields all the times can hear the corn hitting the bottom of truck. Truck on lot didn't have fx4 package. Dealer said he would add skid plates for$500. Fx4 package is around $495? Or so?

Old 12-25-2017, 03:39 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
This is all great info and helps me greatly. Also, someone mentioned the tranny in the F250 is slightly different than the F350. Is this true. Can't remember where I read it but really couldn't believe that to be true.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:54 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The F250 6r100g is matched up well to the 6.2L gas engine. It's lighter, and livelier. Don't sweat the axles and transmission choices, they are all fine.

Fx4 is decent Rancho shocks, downhill assist, and skidplates, I recommend it. You can also get the E-locker added to that. Definitely get the E-locker. It's a must have option. These trucks need a locker to compare decently off road.

I bought an F250 because I gave up on the $$$$ dream of a slide in camper that requires a higher hauling rating. A 23' travel trailer has 3 times the room, at 1/3 the cost. If you don't need a 350, get the 250.

Ride quality is a pipe dream. Go for at least a CCSB wheelbase if you're concerned. Either way, If the truck I picked was a 350 with overload springs, I'd remove the overloads and use an airbag anyways. But still, I believe the 350 main springs are stiffer.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:58 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Originally Posted by Buliwyf
The F250 6r100g is matched up well to the 6.2L gas engine. It's lighter, and livelier. Don't sweat the axles and transmission choices, they are all fine.

Fx4 is decent Rancho shocks, downhill assist, and skidplates, I recommend it. You can also get the E-locker added to that. Definitely get the E-locker. It's a must have option. These trucks need a locker to compare decently off road.

I bought an F250 because I gave up on the $$$$ dream of a slide in camper that requires a higher hauling rating. A 23' travel trailer has 3 times the room, at 1/3 the cost. If you don't need a 350, get the 250.

Ride quality is a pipe dream. Go for at least a CCSB wheelbase if you're concerned. Either way, If the truck I picked was a 350 with overload springs, I'd remove the overloads and use an airbag anyways. But still, I believe the 350 main springs are stiffer.

Looking at the Ford super duty website where I can build a F350 I noticed the F250 can have the Torque shift G transmission. Whats the difference in the regular and G? Is one better than the other?

Old 12-25-2017, 04:45 PM
Robb81
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 250 XLT and a 350 KR srw both 2017 ccsb both with FX4 package and can't tell any ride difference at all.

The XLT has 18" Goodyears and the KR has 20" Michelins.

I think the 18" chrome PVD wheels look better than the chrome 20s but that's a taste opinion.

I do like the Goodyears and they go though mud a little better but they're still a mild AT tire. Both are about the same on the road to me wet or dry.

Since the two trucks feel the same to my seat of the pants, I'd go with your preference on looks or price for wheel size choice.

I'd get the FX4 package for the hill decent and the skid plates alone.

I don't have the camper package on either truck so can't help there.

The factory bed liner is crap, have it on the KR and Line X on the XLT. Unless you really want the Ford logo get Line X.

I have the LED headlights on the KR and they are great, but it's your budget. I'd suggest taking a test drive after dark in both to see what you think.
Make sure you get out on an unlit back road because that's where the LEDs really stand out.

The F250 does squat considerably more than the 350 when I get over about 8,000 pounds of gooseneck.
I prefer a more level stance towing but that might not be a concern for you.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:11 PM
wfedwar
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sawtooth
Looking at the Ford super duty website where I can build a F350 I noticed the F250 can have the Torque shift G transmission. Whats the difference in the regular and G? Is one better than the other?
The build program can be misleading on this. The “g” transmission is what will come on a 6.2 F250. Everything else (6.2 F350 and either with the 6.7) comes with the 6R140. As mentioned by someone else already, this isn’t a detail you should sweat. They are both fine transmissions. Are you thinking about a 6.2 or 6.7?

Old 12-25-2017, 06:20 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
6.7 for sure.

Old 12-25-2017, 06:23 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Originally Posted by Robb81
I have a 250 XLT and a 350 KR srw both 2017 ccsb both with FX4 package and can't tell any ride difference at all.

The XLT has 18" Goodyears and the KR has 20" Michelins.

I think the 18" chrome PVD wheels look better than the chrome 20s but that's a taste opinion.

I do like the Goodyears and they go though mud a little better but they're still a mild AT tire. Both are about the same on the road to me wet or dry.

Since the two trucks feel the same to my seat of the pants, I'd go with your preference on looks or price for wheel size choice.

I'd get the FX4 package for the hill decent and the skid plates alone.

I don't have the camper package on either truck so can't help there.

The factory bed liner is crap, have it on the KR and Line X on the XLT. Unless you really want the Ford logo get Line X.

I have the LED headlights on the KR and they are great, but it's your budget. I'd suggest taking a test drive after dark in both to see what you think.
Make sure you get out on an unlit back road because that's where the LEDs really stand out.

The F250 does squat considerably more than the 350 when I get over about 8,000 pounds of gooseneck.
I prefer a more level stance towing but that might not be a concern for you.
Ok the squat is what I’m concerned about. My 08 F250 is like that also which I hated so ended up adding airbags to correct the issue. I guess I was hoping to goto a F350 and not have as much squating thus not needing airbags.

Old 12-25-2017, 06:41 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,563 Likes on 730 Posts
As stated the air pressure in the tires affects the ride more than the springs.

F350 rated at 11,500 vs the F250 at 10,000 Mostly all rating. Not much you will actually feel

You can Downrate the F350 ratings, 11,400 and 10,000. But why, Unless as mention above you need to for licensing or registration or insurance.

Yes the LED lights are cool. But for less money you can swap out the bulbs on the headlights, turn signals and fogs and have the whiter light for less money than buying the LED from Ford. You can see a YouTube video from Headlight Revolution about this and showing the install here

I always buy the FX4. Could care less about the sticker and usually pull it. But the skid plates are important to me.

I like the look of 20" wheels. But my 2015 I bought with the cheapest wheels/tires Ford would include with a Lariat package. I replaced the day I took deliver with some 20x9 rims and Toyo 295/65R20 tires. Not buying the 20" wheels/Tires from Ford saves about $1500 and I sold my take offs for $1000. My new after market wheels/tires cost me about $2800 with tax so a net increas of $300 for wheels I liked.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:50 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The 18" wheels are the way to go.

I'm not a fan of the LED headlights. I was at first, but now, it's a gimmick wearing off. They're the cats meow for motorcycles, but not really any better on trucks. I'm fine with the XL/XLT headlights.

Quick Reply: Getting ready to order new 2018 F350 but have questions