help me decide on which van to buy (ASAP!) - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans
Reload this Page >

help me decide on which van to buy (ASAP!)

Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

help me decide on which van to buy (ASAP!)

Old 12-28-2017, 10:30 PM
twigsV10
Posting Guru
twigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud of
Supercharger.............

Old 12-29-2017, 06:00 AM
Im50fast
Nice guy!
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Reasonably speaking I expected exactly what it is. It feels totally capable of motivating a 5,000lb van. But with ZERO frills available via the skinny pedal.
Two days ago I test drove a E250 with the 5.4 and it was better than expected. Part throttle torque felt good.

But yeah, my comments are in regards to my V10 experience over 4.5 years and 220,000 miles of nose-lifting Torque.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:53 PM
CottonTexas
Junior User
CottonTexas is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm glad to hear you got a good deal, man. Good on ya. Maybe some freshening up on that 4.6 might help wake it up a little better. No, it won't be V10-kinda' healthy, but it couldn't hurt in the MPG department either. Glad it worked out for ya, Cotton

Old 12-29-2017, 04:11 PM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
yeah, first thing with that 4.6, change the fuel filter, and clean the MAF. I bet the MAF is filthy. This will lean out the mix, and exactly opposite of that you think it'll HELP gas mileage.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:38 PM
Im50fast
Nice guy!
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Krewat View Post
yeah, first thing with that 4.6, change the fuel filter, and clean the MAF. I bet the MAF is filthy. This will lean out the mix, and exactly opposite of that you think it'll HELP gas mileage.
Oh man I bet theres a 4.6L section of FTE that Im gonna have to subscribe now...

Old 12-29-2017, 07:48 PM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Im50fast View Post
Oh man I bet theres a 4.6L section of FTE that Im gonna have to subscribe now...
Meh, it's a V10 with 20% less cylinders and a hair cut

Old 12-29-2017, 11:48 PM
twigsV10
Posting Guru
twigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Krewat View Post
Meh, it's a V10 with 20% less cylinders and a hair cut
That is hilarious! Reps for that.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:02 AM
CottonTexas
Junior User
CottonTexas is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by twigsV10 View Post
V10 because, well V10! ...

Yeah, I laughed out loud when read this. I gotta give props for the logic here!

Old 12-30-2017, 11:15 AM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
What gears does that van have? The 4.6 definitely falls into the "gets the job done" engine category which means it'll move the load but you will definitely know you're carrying one and there isn't any playing around power available. Given this can you imagine what the 200hp 4.2 V6 was like? The upside of a 4.6 van is that if you're not driving it like a spoiled teenager with the pedal to the metal everywhere it will get very good gas milage and last a very long time.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:13 PM
Im50fast
Nice guy!
Originally Posted by Conanski View Post
What gears does that van have? The 4.6 definitely falls into the "gets the job done" engine category which means it'll move the load but you will definitely know you're carrying one and there isn't any playing around power available. Given this can you imagine what the 200hp 4.2 V6 was like? The upside of a 4.6 van is that if you're not driving it like a spoiled teenager with the pedal to the metal everywhere it will get very good gas milage and last a very long time.
Hahahah yes! I do drive my V10 van like a spoiled teenager, though in very short bursts, and rarely. I had a 4.2 V6 E250 years ago; just prior to buying the V10. So this is my first ownership of a v8 van. According to my memory this 4.6 is exactly as wimpy as the V6, but that memory has been tainted by 4 years of V10 gas pedal. Ill try to post a pic of the axle code:

Old 12-30-2017, 02:18 PM
Im50fast
Nice guy!
My new van door sticker. Whats this rear axle ratio? And transmission? And whats the r code?
My new van door sticker. Whats this rear axle ratio? And transmission? And whats the r code?

Old 12-30-2017, 02:36 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
R code is radio.
Look up the rest of it here, may need to sign up for a free account:
Vehicle Lookup

Old 12-30-2017, 03:56 PM
wtroger
Postmaster
wtroger is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wtroger is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I own a 2005 e-150 with the 5.4 engine and a 4 speed auto tranny. It runs like a scalded dog. Has trailer tow package. It has 9 3/4 3.55 rear axle. I use it when I need to tow my car dolly or 12 ft utility trailer. One of the nice things about the E series 5.4’s is they are 2 valve engines no cam phaser problems or stuck spark plugs.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:54 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
Axle code 22 is 4.10 just like mine but I don't recognize that trans code. Try putting your VIN through on online decoder.

Old 12-31-2017, 04:48 PM
Krewat
Super Moderator
A 4.6 with a 4.10 rear? That think should at least make an attempt to spin the tires if it's empty. Even a chirp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help me decide on which van to buy (ASAP!)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.