300 cid , best stock exhaust - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



300 cid , best stock exhaust

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-24-2017, 07:32 AM
EricJ EricJ is offline
Posting Guru
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cape Cod, Mass.
Posts: 1,565
EricJ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.EricJ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
300 cid , best stock exhaust

Started playing with my '66 resto project again yesterday, and thought I may set my 390 on the engine stand for this project and go with the 300 that came with my parts truck. The parts truck is a '66 F-250 2wd 4 spd. It is my understanding Ford made a better flowing exhaust on some HD truck engines, what do I need to look for to find one of these gems? And does anyone have a decent blueprint for a torque y dailey driver?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-24-2017, 11:58 AM
FuzzFace2's Avatar
FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 is online now
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Angier, NC
Posts: 5,887
FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.
From what I have seen posted the HD exh manifold should flow better than the stock every day one.
IIRC the HD one does not have butterfly valve that helps heat the stock intake manifold.
I don't know how easy it is to find an HD manifold and matching head pipe?


You would be better off using the EFI exh manifolds and Y pipe, they are like mini headers.

I don't know what manifold you would be using but there is a plate that bolts to the bottom of the stock intake and uses water to heat the intake.
I had to grind part of the intake divider to clear the weld on the plate so it would sit flat and seal.

Installed on motor in truck


Dave ----
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-24-2017, 04:48 PM
EricJ EricJ is offline
Posting Guru
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cape Cod, Mass.
Posts: 1,565
EricJ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.EricJ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What years are those dual EFI manifolds? I kinda like that, could run dual exhaust with an X pipe.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-24-2017, 05:32 PM
Brian_153624 Brian_153624 is online now
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 37
Brian_153624 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I ran the stock duals back to a 2 into 1 muffler. Everything I used came out of a pull a pull a part. I love the power and the sound.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-24-2017, 06:39 PM
fordman75 fordman75 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South central, Minnesota
Posts: 4,459
fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
What years are those dual EFI manifolds? I kinda like that, could run dual exhaust with an X pipe.
1987-1996.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-25-2017, 12:06 PM
FuzzFace2's Avatar
FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 is online now
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Angier, NC
Posts: 5,887
FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
What years are those dual EFI manifolds? I kinda like that, could run dual exhaust with an X pipe.
There is not a lot of room to run duels let alone and X pipe like you would on a v8.


You can do like Brian did below, duel pipes (side by side) to a 2 in to 1 out muffler.


I ran the Y pipe into the stock single pipe/muffler tail pipe out behind the rear tire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_153624 View Post
I ran the stock duals back to a 2 into 1 muffler. Everything I used came out of a pull a pull a part. I love the power and the sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman75 View Post
1987-1996.
Thank you for posting the years.
You can find them in the junk yards or get them new thru Dorman at any parts store.
Dave ----
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-25-2017, 02:11 PM
fordman75 fordman75 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South central, Minnesota
Posts: 4,459
fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
There is not a lot of room to run duels let alone and X pipe like you would on a v8.





Thank you for posting the years.

Dave ----

No problem.



They do sell a narrow X-pipe set up that would work with side by side pipes. That being said there isn't much to gain by running the X-pipe on the inline 6. But if someone wants to run one they can.

And in a truck( depending on the year and fuel tank set up ) there is plenty of room to run dual exhaust. The space all depends on your fuel system, exhaust pipe size, muffler choice and how you want to run the exhaust. On trucks that I want true duals on I usually run both pipes down the pass. side of the truck. And I run two mufflers stood up side by side. Then run the tail pipes out over the axle and then either both out the pass rear 1/4 behind the tire. Or once over the axle split them and run out out the back, one on each side.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-25-2017, 04:01 PM
EricJ EricJ is offline
Posting Guru
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cape Cod, Mass.
Posts: 1,565
EricJ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.EricJ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looking under the hood of the '66 I have a ton of room for duals. And they do have a narrow x-pipe. and beyond the transfer case I can split and go to opposite sides with the mufflers and tailpipes. I was lead to believe the x-pipe enhances flow in some dual systems, not sure if it's true or not. But I should have the room if they work.
PS. found the Dormans on Rockauto for about 60 bux apiece.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-25-2017, 04:12 PM
The Frenchtown Flyer's Avatar
The Frenchtown Flyer The Frenchtown Flyer is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 918
The Frenchtown Flyer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
I was lead to believe the x-pipe enhances flow in some dual systems
I believe that to be true and my personal experience is that it is true, especially in an exhaust system that has high exhaust backpressure.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-25-2017, 06:56 PM
FuzzFace2's Avatar
FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 is online now
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Angier, NC
Posts: 5,887
FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frenchtown Flyer View Post
I believe that to be true and my personal experience is that it is true, especially in an exhaust system that has high exhaust backpressure.
Does that hold true for a straight six running a 3 to 2 exh outlet, header or EFI system?


I have heard the X works pretty good on a v8 but have not heard much testing done on a six be it a v6 or straight six.
Dave ----
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-25-2017, 09:20 PM
The Frenchtown Flyer's Avatar
The Frenchtown Flyer The Frenchtown Flyer is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 918
The Frenchtown Flyer is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just spent about a half hour on a response and my computer crashed before I could submit the response. GRRR. So let me start again and briefly summarize.

When an exhaust valve opens a high pressure wave travels through the exhaust system. This pressure pulse meets resistance to flow at every twist, turn, and obstruction in the exhaust system, reducing the ability of the engine to evacuate all the exhaust gasses, thereby reducing its efficiency. If you have a crossover X or H pipe then that pressure pulse is attenuated, or reduced because the mass of gasses now splits and travels down two pipes, rather than being forced to exit through only one. So there is less pressure rise downstream of the headers.

With more cylinders the pulses come closer together, so a crossover pipe may be of greater benefit on a V 10 or V8 than on a six. I don't know that. I still know it will help the six.

On a race car with open exhaust headers there is no downstream restriction. A crossover pipe is not needed.

4.9 exhaust systems are the base system, are low cost, and are relatively high in backpressure.

I have done WOT dyno testing on small V8s equipped with headers and simulated exhaust system restriction. When an H pipe was added the engine made around five more HP, or around a 2% improvement even though the restriction was the same, as measured at the outlet flange of the header tubes.

Anecdotally, I added a crossover pipe to a 496 ci V8 motorhome that was getting 8.5 mpg on interstate travel. After adding the crossover pipe mileage improved to 9.0 mpg. That is about a 5% improvement. And it sounded a lot better to me.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-26-2017, 06:54 AM
EricJ EricJ is offline
Posting Guru
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cape Cod, Mass.
Posts: 1,565
EricJ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.EricJ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frenchtown Flyer View Post
I just spent about a half hour on a response and my computer crashed before I could submit the response. GRRR. So let me start again and briefly summarize.

When an exhaust valve opens a high pressure wave travels through the exhaust system. This pressure pulse meets resistance to flow at every twist, turn, and obstruction in the exhaust system, reducing the ability of the engine to evacuate all the exhaust gasses, thereby reducing its efficiency. If you have a crossover X or H pipe then that pressure pulse is attenuated, or reduced because the mass of gasses now splits and travels down two pipes, rather than being forced to exit through only one. So there is less pressure rise downstream of the headers.

With more cylinders the pulses come closer together, so a crossover pipe may be of greater benefit on a V 10 or V8 than on a six. I don't know that. I still know it will help the six.

On a race car with open exhaust headers there is no downstream restriction. A crossover pipe is not needed.

4.9 exhaust systems are the base system, are low cost, and are relatively high in backpressure.

I have done WOT dyno testing on small V8s equipped with headers and simulated exhaust system restriction. When an H pipe was added the engine made around five more HP, or around a 2% improvement even though the restriction was the same, as measured at the outlet flange of the header tubes.

Anecdotally, I added a crossover pipe to a 496 ci V8 motorhome that was getting 8.5 mpg on interstate travel. After adding the crossover pipe mileage improved to 9.0 mpg. That is about a 5% improvement. And it sounded a lot better to me.
TY, sounds like a plan. Now I just need to choose a manifold and carb. setup if the engine proves to be repairable without overhauling, If I have to overhaul we'll have to talk about a full blueprint and what I'd like to achieve. I wont waste the money yet if I can get away with minor work to the top end. I should figure that out this week.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-26-2017, 11:10 AM
wallen7 wallen7 is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 25
wallen7 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It makes good sense that a x-pipe or h-pipe would help a 6 cylinder as well as a v8 or v10. Anything that would help exhaust flow should help. The pulses from each bank or in the case of efi manifolds on the 6 should help pull the other bank.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-29-2017, 12:17 PM
Brian_153624 Brian_153624 is online now
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 37
Brian_153624 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Are there any negatives to using the complete efi exhaust off of a donor thruck?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-29-2017, 12:40 PM
EricJ EricJ is offline
Posting Guru
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cape Cod, Mass.
Posts: 1,565
EricJ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.EricJ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_153624 View Post
Are there any negatives to using the complete efi exhaust off of a donor thruck?
EFI exhaust will have Cats. and it's probably single exhaust.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parts truck swap question VTrob66 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1 01-20-2018 06:19 PM
Good 223 and manual 3 speed trans Wyatt66f100 Ford Truck Parts for Sale 2 12-11-2017 01:19 PM
Late Model 300 shortwide 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 7 10-29-2016 11:06 AM
66 f100 unfished prerunner project pro caged and certified ford engine install....suspension help autox65 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 4 09-10-2016 03:10 AM
240/300 Exhaust Headers john jamieson Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300 1 05-05-2016 10:38 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.