6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 f250 6.4 surging/stalling

Old 12-30-2017, 10:40 AM
Txbrad68
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for that good info. I will keep y’all informed. I plan on dropping the tank when I get it back and cleaning it thouroughly. As for the lpfp pressure monitoring, would a MiniMaxx tuner monitor this? I am planning on getting a MiniMaxx in the near future.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:34 PM
73F700
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok - I have to retrace my steps a bit... I have looked into this and the factory system has no sensor for monitoring the low side pressure. Apologise for misleading. The only way to check it is with a regular PSI gauge on the Schrader valve while it is running. The normal operating pressure is 3-8 psi. There is a pressure relief valve on the base of the secondary fuel filter that opens at 3psi. I just checked the pressure on my own truck and running at idle my pressure gauge reads closer to 8 psi. Minimaxx tuners will show ICP (fuel rail pressure) and this should be 4.8-5.2 at idle and as high as 24 at WOT. If the ICP is lower than this it may be lack of pressure on the low side. The ICP could be higher and this is a sign of a hot tune.

Regarding tuners - you might be in a tough spot. There is a chance that the PCM is locked to the previous tuner and that you will have trouble loading new tunes or stock tunes without first getting a new PCM. This is an issue that others have had - it might depend on exactly what tune is currently on there. Just a heads up before you order the minimaxx

If your truck has a hot tune on it (assumption/unknown) and the computer is asking for high fuel rail pressure from the HPFP, and your lift pump is stock, then it is quite likely that the HPFP is starving. You mentioned "occasional lack of power at throttle". If the truck is at the dealer still they should be able to plug into the truck and check the ICP for you. Should not take them long at all and will save you waiting on tools yourself.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:23 PM
73F700
Senior User
Get it sorted?

Old 01-07-2018, 06:40 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just reread the post again and have some thoughts. I find it hard to believe the dealer did not replace the fuel filters when the HPFP was replaced, so was it indeed replaced, should have been an expensive repair (cab off), something sounds fishy to me. Metal pieces in the upper fuel filter housing is bad as in (fubar). Sounds like a trip to the dealer with the filters and pictures and I guarrantee it will be a fight. My opinion for what it's worth is the dealer tech blew it big time, but proving this will be a fight. Dose the bill reflect he replaced the fuel filters, if not you might have a foot to stand on because that would be SOP for a HPFP R&R, I would bet it's in the Ford replacement instructions to replace the fuel filters. My .02

Old 01-08-2018, 08:16 AM
Txbrad68
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 73F700
Get it sorted?
Truck is still at the shop. I have been out of town all week and haven’t heard anything. Their only diesel tech at the dealership quit. So now I’m gonna take it to another Dealership when I get back in town. Pretty frustrating since all I needed was them to remove air from my lines. Since the diesel tech quit, I figured he half-assed my hpfp work and didn’t worry about the metal shaving in my filters and tank. No where in the notes does it say he looked at this.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:22 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry that you are having a dickens of a time finding a technician.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:04 PM
Txbrad68
Freshman User
Update: truck is still at ford while they were retraining a new diesel tech. They measured my fuel rail pressure to be over 20,000 when normal is around 5500. They still don’t know what Is causing the issue. I did buy a mini Maxx tuner. I told them to flash it back to stock and I will retune it and hope this solves the issue. Any thoughts?

Also, they did not find any leaks or air in the fuel system and I am working on convincing them to flush my fuel system due to the metal flakes in my fuel filters from the hpfp failure.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:33 PM
Txbrad68
Freshman User
Just installed the mini Maxx and it went really smooth. I set it to stock levels and ICP is reading 4.5 kci and the surging continues but maybe a little less. I’m gonna let ford reevaluate.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:27 PM
73F700
Senior User
Sounds like you are making progress. 4.8 to 5.2 is normal idle pressure. Under hard acceleration it should go up to 24.

I'm starting to wonder if your ICP sensor and/or harness is bad - the surging and stalling is all a symptom of that...

Old 01-25-2018, 03:01 PM
Txbrad68
Freshman User
Ya ford is trying to find a diagnosis but having a difficult time due to no codes being shown. They are now looking into the metal shavings I found in the fuel filters too give them any leads. They are going to flush the system/ open it up and see how deep the shavings have gotten starting next week. I don't know if the metal shavings could be causing this surging? But shouldn't the Ford mechanic of flushed the fuel system/ checked fuel filters immediately after the hpfp repair since the hpfp sends metal fragments through the system when it fails? Is this in their operating instructions? They couldn't tell me. They said they will cover the flushing charge but any damage caused by the metal flakes would come from my pocket unless the parts are covered under warranty. I don't think this is right but we will see what they find and go from there.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:29 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 973 Likes on 748 Posts
Originally Posted by Txbrad68
Update: truck is still at ford while they were retraining a new diesel tech. They measured my fuel rail pressure to be over 20,000 when normal is around 5500. They still don’t know what Is causing the issue. .

so a 6.4 with metal flakes in fuel system , history of surging and stalling, has a rail pressure of 20,000 in stead of 5500 and no one can figure out why............you think maybe the flakes are clogging up the injectors

the protocol for metal flakes in the fuel system is to replace everything.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:39 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is not going to end well.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:45 PM
73F700
Senior User
If ford did the original hpfp repair, they should have done the entire fuel system at that time. It is general knowledge that when the hpfp fails metal shavings are sent through the fuel system and it all must be cleaned/replaced. If ford did not do this as part of the hpfp repair then they should have their tail between their legs now.

Assuming that they didn't clean the system properly there will still be shavings in the injectors and in the ICP sensor.

If they did not clean the system before and they are now trying to suggest that the metal fragments are from elsewhere.... I would find someone else to work on your truck.

I would start keeping paper proof of whatever they do/don't do to the truck. You might need it later. This could get expensive very quickly.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:09 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ford (the dealership I mean) screw up from day one, the only issue I see is verification of when the fragments showed up, if you can prove they were there when they originally changed the HPFP and Ford did not replace/clean everything, it's their fault. After that it's going to be murky, many times the HPFP fail will be a wire or sensor which are not replaceable so the whole unit gets replaced, that will not generate shavings. Did you keep the old PUMP, that could be a game changer.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:16 PM
Txbrad68
Freshman User
Update: Ford found metal shavings in the fuel tank and they want to replace the HPFP again. This time they will be flushing the entire system and replacing the fuel filters and fuel cooler on their cost under warranty(from the first hpfp replacement). They said that they want to replace the fuel cooler as a precaution and would not say if or if not it was damaged from the metal fragments. However, they will cover the repair/part cost. I am worried that the metal fragments have gotten deeper but they are unable to tell yet. If metal fragment did get deeper, I am going to fight for them to replace anything needed on their cost. I hope this solves the issue. Will updated as it goes. I really appreciate everyone's assistance on here. I hope someone going through this same issue can use this forum to help their situation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 f250 6.4 surging/stalling