1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Meet my new girlfriend, and now my new build thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 10:36 PM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Meet my new girlfriend, and now my new build thread!

Well guys I'm finally back in the club again! The Redhead found a sunset orange colored (Ford's Bright Amber Clearcoat Metallic, I think) F250 that she told me that I fell in love with.

A few differences to Skippy:

• The Name: Skippy had a stick, so he was a boy. Harmony's a girl. Not my favorite type (the autos stink in these) but I can live with it if The Redhead's happy.
  • The year: Harmony's a 2000 model. Still has "cup throwers" that I'll have to swap out, and that back seat doesn't fold flat like the 99s. Miss that.
  • No big dents/dings
  • Great, no-leaks, powerful 7.3 that makes my tongue hard just looking her over.
  • Clean, carpeted interior, Skippy had vinyl and I never got the dust all out of him.
  • Power locks/windows/mirrors, Skippy was all manual.
  • Multiple door pockets (awesome!)
  • Fold down center console, Skippy had only the bench seat.
  • Harmony's 4x4, Skippy was 2wd. Torn on whether or not I like this. Hopefully I won't have to change the oil pan b/c that's a beast in 4x4.

There are bound to be more, but that's the big stuff. Harmony doesn't have the over-cab lights though, so I miss those. But she does have towing mirrors and a spray-on bedliner which I really like.

And best of all, my new girlfriend here doesn't require $5000 worth of work to keep her going! Woohoo!

So this is her introduction/build thread. She's a strong, eager beaver and I can't wait to do a few maintenance things on her and get better acquainted .

On the list of fiddling around items:

1. Replace door lock motors, they're weak and only work occasionally. Wondering if she has keyless entry too. I need to figure out how to tell. All I got were generic keys.
  2. Replace that stupid cup-thrower with a 2003 cup holder assembly.
  3. Replace the shocks, I still have a set I bought for Skippy so cost = $0
  4. Replace oil, fuel/oil filters
  5. Add high capacity air filter and toss the ugly K/N eggplant looking thing she has in her now.
  6. Front brush guard for safety/coolness factor.

Anyway, that'll be our first date. We'll see how it goes when I get the parts in! I seriously can NOT wait!

Old 12-21-2017, 10:40 PM
machmedic
Laughing Gas
Received 106 Likes on 61 Posts
Very nice, congrats!

Old 12-21-2017, 11:07 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Make my tongue hard... Hahaha. Congrats on the rude, plugger, she's well endowed😉. Think, I'll call mine, Mistress😁

Old 12-22-2017, 12:29 AM
Karlow
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey that's no girl, that's another dam BIG Stanky!
Welcome back!

Old 12-22-2017, 12:38 AM
pirschwagon
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey, if it's got ***** or Tires..... It's gonna give you Problems! Good Luck. Nice looking Super Duty!

Old 12-22-2017, 05:40 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Karlow
Hey that's no girl, that's another dam BIG Stanky!
Welcome back!
I wouldn't tempt the gods by calling it anything close to Stinky.

Nice truck, Glowplugger

Old 12-22-2017, 06:02 AM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Very nice looking truck, that's one of those colors that is just different enough then everyone else's that it makes you like it. Lol. I think if you attempt to make it go into programming mode for the keyless remotes it will only go if it had keyless originally. Might be a way to tell if it is equipped with keyless.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:11 AM
ExDakotaOwner
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice truck!
Dont catch cooties

Old 12-22-2017, 06:27 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Congrats on the new wheels and good luck with her. What did you do with the old one?

Old 12-22-2017, 06:34 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Sharp looking truck, congrats on the find.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:39 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congratulations on the find

Old 12-22-2017, 07:49 AM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks guys. Yeah, that color was one of those things I looked at and thought, Hmm, it's almost red. No, not really, more orange. Well, not quite. Maybe a sunset? I wasn't sure about it the first time I saw it, then it grew on me real fast. Driving in front of her coming home I noticed it matters what light she's in. On the road in sunny weather she looks kina blue from the front, in the shade kinda red, and from the side a deep gold color. Then you change angles and it's the sunset orange. Hard to tell if it's the truck or the sun reflection at dusk if you don't know. Haha! She's a chameleon. I've decided I like it quite a bit, and it's not weird enough that I'm scrunching down in the seat when i drive past my friends.

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Congrats on the new wheels and good luck with her. What did you do with the old one?
Ol' Skippy quit pulling at all. I couldn't get him up about a 20 degree angle hill anymore. He fell below 30 mph crawling up it with my feet on the floor, it was that bad.

So I dropped it off at the shop and two pistons were busted, probably the cause of most of my problems I had with him. The mechanic offered me 2k for him and I said "You got a deal". And the very next day I was regretting not saving all those parts I bought and put on him.

So this time we're going to do it right. If Harmony busts wide open I'll park her in the back yard, find a donor, and revive her again like a man.

Funny story: I sort of woke up this morning in that groggy state, with the news running (I leave it on all the time) and the weatherman was in my head saying "It's 29 degrees outside. Water puddles are ice, so be careful. We're icing up all over out there."

Then I dream-remembered that when I looked in the degass bottle the water was clear! Oh no, my new Harmony is probably sitting out there with a busted block!

I rolled out of bed and stumbled to the coat closet, grabbed her keys, and headed out the door with a flashlight. Sure enough, the degass bottle was fine and had a nice, reassuring green tint (but I'm sure it should be red. Gotta change that!). Then just to be sure she would start in cold weather I got in and fired her up. Skippy took about 15 seconds of cranking after the glowplugs went off (they were new) but Harmony was off and running in 3 seconds. OMGosh!

Well after that I decided the old girl deserved a run around the block so we had a coffee run for fun. And I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:00 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Glowplugger
snipped ... Well guys I'm finally back in the club again! The Redhead found a sunset orange colored (Ford's Bright Amber Clearcoat Metallic, I think) F250 that she told me that I fell in love with.

Replace door lock motors, they're weak and only work occasionally. Wondering if she has keyless entry too. I need to figure out how to tell. All I got were generic keys.
Congrats on the new wheels ... I like that color. On the door locks, there is a quick, cheap fix to address the actuators without replacing them. IIRC, it involves using tin foil in the mechanism to ensure the electrical connection. I'm pretty sure there might be a tutorial ... or at least a detailed post detailing the fix. Also, check the tech folder ... it may be listed there.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:33 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Glowplugger

On the list of fiddling around items:
  1. Replace door lock motors, they're weak and only work occasionally. Wondering if she has keyless entry too. I need to figure out how to tell. All I got were generic keys.

I am 98% sure that you have keyless entry. I have two fobs that came with my truck. I also wanted more keys, so I made several generic keys to have one on all my key rings. You may have to talk to a sDealer about replacement fobs. Someone will chime in.

You should also put on your list a 6.0 trans cooler.

Congrats on your new girl friend. Goose her for me...

Old 12-22-2017, 10:20 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Nice to see ya back! Looks like you have a much better platform to start with this time.

Quick Reply: Meet my new girlfriend, and now my new build thread!