1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

97 Cali 7.3 Powerstroke, leaking fuel pump, efuel delima

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 05:58 PM
jcpower
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 Cali 7.3 Powerstroke, leaking fuel pump, efuel delima

Took my truck to a local mechanic a while back to figure out what was leaking, he determined it was the manual pump leaking fuel, and from what I've seen it seems logical that is what the problem is. It's not a terrible amount but I think we can all agree it's going to get worse. He want's to charge me $1200 to replace, which I have to wonder is a "don't make me do this" price. It's the Cali model and although there seem to be people that can do R&R without removing the turbo. The mechanic basically said, I'm not going to change the way I know how to do this. Oddly enough, the mechanic showed some interest in considering the eFuel conversion, and he asked for some links. I provided a couple with the Mark Fugazzotto version being my favorite. I have to wait for him to get back to me.

The only other option I may have is that I live near San Jose and there is a company there named "Pit Row", basically a DIY garage that cost's from what I can gather $35hr to let you work on your car/truck. It's a bit of a drive for me to get there and I would pretty much be stuck there if any parts were missing. However it looks like the pre done up efuel kits could actually take less time to perform than a mechanical pump R&R. For example the kit from Mark Fugazzotto suggests just cutting the old lines off to remove everything since it's going to be redone anyway. So how many hours could I expect something like this to take? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but Powerstrokes are new to me.

Actually I live for doing things like this myself. The problem I have is that I live in a condo and have no garage, Our HOA seems cool enough to allow us to replace an air filter and do spark plugs, even though it's probably technically against the rules, however trying to tear stuff out of the engine and leaving it undrivable for a few days is going to bring wrath of the community upon myself

And has anyone used Pit Row? So far they seem to be the only one of their kind, at least around here.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:54 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Do they do a visual inspection in your area for the age of the truck?

Old 12-21-2017, 07:55 PM
jcpower
Junior User
Not 100% sure of what you are asking, but yes I'm pretty sure that the mechanic/owner looked in it to diagnose. I brought it in because it was leaking "something".

It's actually kinda funny, I bought the truck a couple of months ago, I brought it home figured out something was leaking on it (didn't notice it when we looked at it originally) and brought it to a local diesel mechanic. Turns out he had been working on it with the previous owner so I suddenly had history on it.

It looks like he replaced the pump in 2008, which is roughly 50,000 miles ago, seems like if the pump can go out in 50,000 mi or 10 years, it's not worth to keep replacing. especially at $1200, (Although in 2008 he charged around $650, but it may have been the time he figured out how much of a pain it is )

Old 12-21-2017, 09:14 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Your on the right track, just do E fuel and be done with it.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:31 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Adam was asking about your annual vehicle inspection for the state. Would they notice if the fuel bowl was magically missing?

Old 12-21-2017, 09:56 PM
jcpower
Junior User
Originally Posted by 97-psd
Adam was asking about your annual vehicle inspection for the state. Would they notice if the fuel bowl was magically missing?
Not sure who Adam is, but Cali only requires smog on 98 and above for diesels. However how is the fuel bowl part of the emissions system? I'm sure there is a reason but I'm at a loss as to what it might be

Old 12-21-2017, 10:38 PM
jcpower
Junior User
Originally Posted by jcpower
Not sure who Adam is, but Cali only requires smog on 98 and above for diesels. However how is the fuel bowl part of the emissions system? I'm sure there is a reason but I'm at a loss as to what it might be
Okay just realized that Adam is z31freakify.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:21 AM
BuddyBarnes
Laughing Gas
Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts
You will not regret doing e-fuel.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:56 AM
jcpower
Junior User
Okay, everybody I've been convinced that I should go to efuel, the question is how. I've found some references to Mark Fugazzotto kit, but it sounds like you have to email him to order. Is that right? No online ordering here I guess unless my google fu has really let me down.

So the fact that I don't have a garage... Like I've said I've given my mechanic some info regarding a couple of the kits out there that aren't too expensive. Have to wait for him to get back to me. Barring that, has anyone used one of these DIY garages before? Anything I should be aware of? I've already read that you are not supposed to bring your own tools, however in the video Mark uses a saw and tin snips to cut existing lines. Could I expect that to be normal tools available? (I'll probably ask them but want to make sure my list is complete)

Is there anything in these kits that might be missing that is just assumed that everybody has? The problem with renting a space like that is if anything is forgotten I'm paying for the space while I try and figure out a way to rush to find a part.

Boy I wish I had a garage

Old 12-22-2017, 10:18 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
$1200 for a fuel pump install??? Heck, I'll do it for half that and still make $100/hr or more...

Old 12-22-2017, 10:23 AM
jcpower
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
$1200 for a fuel pump install??? Heck, I'll do it for half that and still make $100/hr or more...
Remember it's the Cali model, It could really be a "Please go away and don't make me do this" But everyone around here is around the same price. It could also be including things like getting a fuel bowl rebuild kit, and if it's not needed it will be lower. I hope he's interested enough in the efuel kit that he might take it on.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:26 AM
BuddyBarnes
Laughing Gas
I don't know about the diy garage. Remember, the e-fuel is pretty simple to put in and does not require a lot of time if all is ready to go -but- if you have to pull the turbo to get the old pump out (which I have read on here, I have no experience on a Cal truck)then you will need to consider the extra time involved with removal and install of the turbo.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:33 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
With E fuel you eliminate the fuel bowl. I've never had a garage to work in, always layed on the concrete, the rocks and snow. What's the big deal? The wind blowing might be a problem but if a 67 year old can work outside then just do it yourself. We can help with problems.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:44 AM
jcpower
Junior User
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
With E fuel you eliminate the fuel bowl. I've never had a garage to work in, always layed on the concrete, the rocks and snow. What's the big deal? The wind blowing might be a problem but if a 67 year old can work outside then just do it yourself. We can help with problems.
HOA . If it was my own house, not a problem. I just can't be in the condo parking lot taking things out of the engine. They'll overlook small maint things like new filter, spark plugs, maybe oil if you are very clean and don't jack up the vehicle. But draining fuel, cutting lines and taking things out of the engine would go too far.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:52 AM
BuddyBarnes
Laughing Gas
No friend with a drive way?

Quick Reply: 97 Cali 7.3 Powerstroke, leaking fuel pump, efuel delima