2002 F-150 XLT Engine sounds - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

2002 F-150 XLT Engine sounds

Old 12-21-2017, 03:26 PM
Chris Moore
New User
Chris Moore is starting off with a positive reputation.
2002 F-150 XLT Engine sounds

My 2002 F-150 XLT has the 4.6L Triton Engine and today as I was driving home I heard a popping sound from under the hood, after that the engine started sputtering. Is this a sign that my truck has kicked the bucket?

Old 12-22-2017, 07:55 AM
formerjeepguy
Junior User
formerjeepguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
It is a sign that you need to investigate further to determine what happened.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:57 AM
enriched&beyound
Posting Guru
enriched&beyound is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Chris Moore View Post
My 2002 F-150 XLT has the 4.6L Triton Engine and today as I was driving home I heard a popping sound from under the hood, after that the engine started sputtering. Is this a sign that my truck has kicked the bucket?
Might be that it spit out spark plug, which is very repairable.
How many miles on it?

Like mentioned earlier
It is a sign that you need to investigate further to determine what happened.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:23 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
Need to have a hood opening ceremony.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:58 PM
Chris Moore
New User
Originally Posted by enriched&beyound View Post
Might be that it spit out spark plug, which is very repairable.
How many miles on it?

Like mentioned earlier
yes it did spit the sparkplug out. its got 262k miles on it.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:36 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
I use this for that
Time Sert

Old 01-14-2018, 08:15 PM
Chris Moore
New User
Update: My mechanic replaced the spark plug that shot out (he did re-thread the part where the plug itself screws into.) and the engine still sputters, I am thinking that I need to replace all of the spark plugs (including the "new" one). Am I correct in that thinking?

Old 01-14-2018, 09:19 PM
enriched&beyound
Posting Guru
Update: My mechanic replaced the spark plug that shot out (he did re-thread the part where the plug itself screws into.) and the engine still sputters, I am thinking that I need to replace all of the spark plugs (including the "new" one). Am I correct in that thinking?
All new spark plugs could not hurt anything. BUT ...to zero in on weather it is the same cylinder or a different one, you should scan for codes again and see what pops up

Old 01-15-2018, 04:27 AM
Chris Moore
New User
All new spark plugs could not hurt anything. BUT ...to zero in on weather it is the same cylinder or a different one, you should scan for codes again and see what pops up
Ok, my mindset was to replace all of them like one would do with headlights.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:53 AM
Chris Moore
New User
Spark plugs are good, engine still sputtered in the 1500 to 2000 from range when accelerating. Mechanic believes its a trans issue. Is there any fox or should I look for a new vehicle. Odometer reads 262,861.1

Old 01-18-2018, 05:15 PM
enriched&beyound
Posting Guru
Spark plugs are good, engine still sputtered in the 1500 to 2000 from range when accelerating. Mechanic believes its a trans issue. Is there any fox or should I look for a new vehicle. Odometer reads 262,861.1
do you mean "Fix" instead of fox? lol
Sure its fixable.... but how is the rest of the truck??
Is the frame and rest of the body starting to rust away? or is it pretty solid?
Has it been pretty much trouble free until recently? Are you ready for payments for years or a month or 2?

It seems like you may need check the COPs (Coil On Plug) for under performance. or the boots under them maybe shorting through and not delivering to the plug.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:23 PM
yardbird
Elder User
yardbird is starting off with a positive reputation.
Find someone that has a reader capable of "Mode 6" reading. That will tell you of any mis-firing cylinder long before any codes are even thinking about being set. Many places have snap on and others capable of reading this mode, but the techs have no clue it's there.

I ended up buying a hand held that could read this in order to find a low rpm mis-fire that never set any type of codes. Had the problem fixed in 15 minutes on my 4.6.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:40 PM
Chris Moore
New User
Originally Posted by yardbird View Post
Find someone that has a reader capable of "Mode 6" reading. That will tell you of any mis-firing cylinder long before any codes are even thinking about being set. Many places have snap on and others capable of reading this mode, but the techs have no clue it's there.

I ended up buying a hand held that could read this in order to find a low rpm mis-fire that never set any type of codes. Had the problem fixed in 15 minutes on my 4.6.
Got it diagnosed, with no check engine light it threw a P0303 code at me (this is the cylinder shot its spark plug, spark plug was replaced hole was rethreaded, and coil pack was replaced already.) Also, the guy at Autozone told me to put a can of Seafoam into my gas tank, should I do it or is that a bad idea?

Old 01-21-2018, 06:26 AM
enriched&beyound
Posting Guru
Got it diagnosed, with no check engine light it threw a P0303 code at me (this is the cylinder shot its spark plug, spark plug was replaced hole was rethreaded, and coil pack was replaced already.) Also, the guy at Autozone told me to put a can of Seafoam into my gas tank, should I do it or is that a bad idea?
Explain better what "rethreaded" is please. There are different brands of product out there that can do this repair. Unfortunately some of those brands are not adequate for this/ your situation. For example; Heil-Coil thread repair works fine for those situations where there is not a lot of heat ranges involved or constant loading and unloading. Both of which are present with a internal combustion engine. Time-sert is a product that has a proven track record for a solid repair when done correctly. there are those who used Cal-Van that report good success as well. So you need to ask what brand of thread repair was used.

Even if where you have taken your truck to get repaired and they used a appropriate product to fix the spark plug threads. AS the sparkplug ejected out of the cylinder it could have damaged the electrical connection or the wires in the harness thereby still not getting the signal for spark delivery for the COP.

Seafoam could be used but unless it has been sitting for several months, I doubt it will provide any real solution. Techron is what Ford recommends. you can find this at most parts stores and Wal-mart. Seems like you need to address the #3 cylinder misfire first, get it running better then maybe get can of additive and dump it in the tank.

Last edited by enriched&beyound; 01-21-2018 at 06:31 AM. Reason: more
Old 01-21-2018, 10:24 AM
Chris Moore
New User
Explain better what "rethreaded" is please. There are different brands of product out there that can do this repair. Unfortunately some of those brands are not adequate for this/ your situation. For example; Heil-Coil thread repair works fine for those situations where there is not a lot of heat ranges involved or constant loading and unloading. Both of which are present with a internal combustion engine. Time-sert is a product that has a proven track record for a solid repair when done correctly. there are those who used Cal-Van that report good success as well. So you need to ask what brand of thread repair was used.

Even if where you have taken your truck to get repaired and they used a appropriate product to fix the spark plug threads. AS the sparkplug ejected out of the cylinder it could have damaged the electrical connection or the wires in the harness thereby still not getting the signal for spark delivery for the COP.

Seafoam could be used but unless it has been sitting for several months, I doubt it will provide any real solution. Techron is what Ford recommends. you can find this at most parts stores and Wal-mart. Seems like you need to address the #3 cylinder misfire first, get it running better then maybe get can of additive and dump it in the tank.
What I mean by "re-threaded" is we used this product https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-3179-42025.aspx to repair the stripped spark plug socket. The cylinder 3 misfire is because of this spark plug being ejected.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 F-150 XLT Engine sounds

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.