Ranger XLT woodgrain material - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Ranger XLT woodgrain material

Old 02-14-2018, 06:56 AM
MTB17
Junior User
MTB17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank yíall for the suggestion. AutoKrafters doesnít have the burl Iím looking for but the walnut material looks good if what I ordered doesnít work out.

If wood veneer is sealed and fails it would be because of the substrate on which itís glued. In this case it would be on pretty crappy old mdf material. Thatís my only concern. However, it may still have to be my second choice unless I can find a good used panel and remove the insert.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:17 AM
TeachNlive4ever
Posting Guru
TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by mrollings53 View Post
Never heard of lacquer?
I just cut a piece of a tree and stuck it on.....

Old 02-15-2018, 05:19 PM
JEFFFAFA
Post Fiend
JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.
Companies that do those "wraps" on the outside of vehicles now a days could make the burl wood grain you want. Trouble is, as far as I know, they take a picture of it and transfer that to vinyl. May not turn out crystal clear.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:32 PM
MTB17
Junior User
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA View Post
Companies that do those "wraps" on the outside of vehicles now a days could make the burl wood grain you want. Trouble is, as far as I know, they take a picture of it and transfer that to vinyl. May not turn out crystal clear.
Yeah I ordered one from a company that makes auto exterior decals. Sent them a picture I enhanced a little. Weíll see in a few weeks.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:35 AM
gangstakr
Postmaster
gangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud of
wood grain

When I first responded to this thread I was given a suspension. This was due to an email I received from a reliable source indicating the OP. was trying to get the material in order to sell several panels so he could re-sell the panels at a ridiculous price. A month after responding Kewalt decided I was attacking a member so he suspended me.
Can you believe that, I believe it was like 6 weeks later. Any way, here's the information.

Here's where you get the wood grain.
https://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-DI...inocmarine.htm
I've been getting this material from here and it's the best. They also have the Burl wood pattern.
Remember, your final look depends on how good your prep work is.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:40 AM
gangstakr
Postmaster
gangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud of
Searching for the right material

I searched for a long time for this material. Many samples from various vendors, A lot of online searching for the right product. I didn't want to just hand over my findings so easily. I figured if someone wanted to do this only to sell the panels, they could do their own search. I now figured, what the hell so I posted where to get this material.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:15 AM
MTB17
Junior User
Actually Robert you did falsely accuse me of already knowing the answer to my question, said I had ďpollutedĒ other sites and should leave. I made several attempts to get you to explain so we could work this out and between us but you ignored me. So after a few weeks I just reported the defamating post. That post has been removed.

Also, concerning your research, just after you made your post I found an earlier thread made by you where you were also searching for the correct material. In that thread you came back and stated you found it and told us it was the teak. I wish I had found it earlier.

I donít know who gave you wrong info about me but I have no intentions of selling anything. On the contrary I only Intend on spiraling down that money pit via a personal restoration of my truck. In some cases I may need to sell some things to help pay for expenses. As for now Iím considering the two external tanks and hoping to swap mirrors.

I wish it had not become such an issue.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:28 AM
MTB17
Junior User
Here is your post giving out the information. I wish I had found it the first time I was searching.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1263966-di-noc-2.html

if you wish to discuss further please PM me.

Thanks

Old 03-05-2018, 11:24 AM
gangstakr
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MTB17 View Post
Here is your post giving out the information. I wish I had found it the first time I was searching.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-di-noc-2.html

if you wish to discuss further please PM me.

Thanks
No hard feelings here. Sorry for my post (The one that was deleted) I spoke out of line. Please accept my apology. Time to move on.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:28 PM
MTB17
Junior User
Originally Posted by gangstakr View Post
No hard feelings here. Sorry for my post (The one that was deleted) I spoke out of line. Please accept my apology. Time to move on.
Its all good.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:54 PM
JEFFFAFA
Post Fiend
JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by gangstakr View Post
Originally Posted by MTB17 View Post

Its all good.
Lawd I love this Kingdom.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:55 AM
MTB17
Junior User

Ok just in case someone is in the same boat trying to restore fake burl interior. I received my ďdecalĒ and itís not bad for a first shot. Itís a tiny bit lighter brown which I think I can improve by photo shop enhancement on my next order. Also itís in a slightly thinner material and a gloss finish. Both of which will telegraph any imperfections. The next company Iíll ask if they offer it in satin or flat and a thicker vinyl. Iíll also clean up the silver stripes.