Notices

Looking for a tool box for a 2003 crew

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 11:18 PM
KurosKarrier
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking for a tool box for a 2003 crew

I recently purchased a 2003 F150 Super Crew , my 1998 was totaled in an accident, but that's another story. Since there is not much storage space (i.e. jumpers, flares, toolkit, etc.) I was looking for a tool box for the back but can't find one to fit. Preferably one back near the rear glass, not a fan of the side saddle types. Any suggestions on where one could be purchased? Thanks.

Old 09-13-2003, 11:08 PM
Phat02
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have seen boxes for your truck built by UWS (united welders supply). theirs are the only boxes that i will buy. i've owned 6 from them so far, pleased with all. they also make one for super-short beds like yours that is only half as deep as normal(18"-20"), called SLIMLINE.

i buy from Travelier Truck Covers & Customizing here in SC, but they should be able to get you one. call Ray at 864-269-4551. tell him that a guy from Belton with a phat white superduty sent you, he may give you a deal!

also, go here http://unitedweldingservices.com/truck.html

hope this helps!

Old 09-19-2003, 11:26 AM
haroutd
Posting Guru
Location: I'm lost somewhere in NJ -- can someone please find me?!?!?!?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I needed storage space too, but didn't want a dedicated full-time tool box. Gets in the way when helping friends move furniture (need better excuses to stop doing this in the future), hauling plywood & sheetrock, filling the bed with mulch, etc. I used a modular approach with a Rubermaid container, and a few milk cartons. I'm thinking of ditching the existing containers & getting 3 Rubbermaid boxes, with ideal dimensions to fit the whole width of the bed. Either way, I like that I can slide them against the tailgate for easy access, against the front of the bed to leave the rear open for other gear, or just plain remove & stick in the garage if I need the whole bed. The containers are waterproof, snowproof, stay in place with just a 2x4 slid into the notches on the side of the bed, and are very convenient for me.

I can see where my concept may not be ideal for others, but it is the best solution for my needs. You might want to consider it -- cheap & practical. Properly organized, I can pull out the whole tool box for a specific application rather than digging around for individual tools. Check out my gallery for the current setup I'm using. As soon as I can find the boxes of ideal size for the 3-box setup, I'll be switching.

Last edited by haroutd; 09-19-2003 at 11:29 AM.