'58 F-100 Restoration Project - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

'58 F-100 Restoration Project

Old 01-28-2018, 04:31 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
oldbleu is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sendit,
I need both sides. The P/O tried to repair the passenger side and did a terrible job. My drivers side has rot holes in it. Please PM some pictures so I can see what you have. Thanks!

Willowbilly3,
I am definitely leaning in that direction. Once all of the rear suspension is put in, I will see if I can get a stainless tank fabricated and then install it in the rear portion of the frame. I will explore my options as soon as the rest of the crossmembers are installed. I am hoping the tank company can tell me what they need in the way of brackets in order to make this as easy as possible.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:56 PM
Fauj
Senior User
Fauj is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by oldbleu View Post
I don't know where Fauj is located, but Newberry Springs is in some pretty remote country. I see the same seller has a '60 F-100 long bed that would be perfect for my "Farm Truck" project.
Newberry Springs is about three or so hours from me. Sort of makes my part of the desert seem like a big city. lol I'm in 29 Palms.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:20 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
Worked on the IFS location today. I think we have it where it looks best.

The above picture shows the spindle centerline of the new front end moved forward one inch from where the old I-beam axle spindle centerline was located. The actual ride height will have the wheel and tire sitting about an inch further up inside the wheel well. If that turns out to be too high, I can always swap out the front spindles for a pair of 2" lowered versions.

Work will now move forward on getting the IFS crossmember tacked in.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:37 PM
flhx06
Senior User
flhx06 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks like a good position. I don't know what tire size you have there but your end height sounds like about where mine sits now.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:08 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
I agree! At least to start with, I plan to run the 15" steel wheels shown in the above picture. I may go with something else later, after the shock of what all of this is going to cost wears off a little bit. Initially, the tire sizes will be: Front=215/70R-15 and Rear=235/70R-15. BTW, I think the stance of your truck looks great.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:47 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
It is Friday and another week has seen more progress on the '58 project. In addition to getting the front suspension crossmember located, work continues on the rear suspension.

The "C" notches above the rear axle housing were installed. The notches are made of quarter inch thick steel and should allow for the necessary rear suspension travel.

There is a small rubber bump stop located at the top of each notch. The bump stops thread into nuts which were welded into the back side of each notch.

Work has also started on the process of filling all of the holes located all over the stock frame rails. Next week we will look at what it will take to mount a gas tank behind the rear axle. It might be necessary to have a custom tank manufactured which will take time (and $$$$).

Old 02-03-2018, 02:34 AM
oldbleu
Senior User
As mentioned, the process of filling in the unused frame holes has begun.

The above picture shows the many holes made by previous owners of the truck.

After some expert welding, most of the holes at the end of the frame rail have disappeared. The larger holes will be filled with a plug which will then be welded in and smoothed so that it looks like the hole was never there.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:50 AM
Speedrr
New User
Speedrr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Your build is awesome! Thanks for taking the time to photograph your progress and updating your post. I find it very difficult to stop what I am doing to memorialize what I am doing.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:28 AM
Walston
Posting Guru
Walston is a name known to allWalston is a name known to allWalston is a name known to allWalston is a name known to allWalston is a name known to allWalston is a name known to all
Looking Great, Keep Going!

Old 02-03-2018, 11:17 AM
flhx06
Senior User
flhx06 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Progress looks great....looking forward to seeing the finished product. Thanks for keeping us all updated.

Does the rear suspension setup prohibit the use of a Mustang gas tank?

Old 02-03-2018, 11:52 AM
fljab
Elder User
fljab has a great reputation on FTE.fljab has a great reputation on FTE.fljab has a great reputation on FTE.fljab has a great reputation on FTE.fljab has a great reputation on FTE.
Ditto on the thanks for showing the build progress! I've been lusting for a '57 and follow any fridge build, and this one stands out. Can't wait until you move on to the next phase with the body.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:16 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
Thanks guys, I really do appreciate the encouragement.

Does the rear suspension setup prohibit the use of a Mustang gas tank?
I am still exploring my options regarding the fuel tank. There is at least one more crossmember which needs to be installed above the panhard bar that could have an impact on the location and size of the tank. I would guess a Mustang tank could be made to fit. Since I am planning on running "Fuel Injection" on the engine, I want the fuel pump to be submerged in the gas tank if at all possible. I think the best way to do that is to mount the pump vertically. I don't know for sure if a Mustang tank will work.

The above picture is the tank I had made for my '63 Falcon. It has the pump in the tank. I am not real wild about the way the pump mounts. Although it is kind of horizontal, it does work and it might be the way to go considering the bed will be covering the tank up, limiting access.

Another consideration is the exhaust. I would like to have a pipe run on each side of the tank, exiting in the rear. However, modifications like these tend to have a domino effect. Making one change necessitates the need for three other changes to be made in order to accommodate the first change. Once all of the crossmembers are installed in the area in question, I will contact the fuel tank company and see what they can do. Ideally, I would want something in the 17-18 gallon range.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:06 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
The front suspension crossmember was welded into the frame today.

As with the almost all of the fabrication on this project, TIG welding was used to put things together.

The final position of the IFS crossmember put the spindle centerline an inch and a quarter further forward than the way Ford originally built it.

In the above picture, the original spindle centerline is designated by the vertical black pencil line. The crossmember will now relocate the centerline to a location about half way between the two coil-over shock mounting tabs. With the crossmember welded in, one of the next items on the agenda is to put the radiator support back on and then mock up the two inner fenders so they an be modified to clear the front suspension assembly.

I also did some playing around in an attempt to figure out what can be done for the rear mounted gas tank. It appears the actual opening will be about 29 inches wide by 22 inches long. I am talking with Hector at Rick's Tanks in El Paso, Texas to see if they can build a stainless tank that will work for my application.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:13 PM
klr
Junior User
klr is starting off with a positive reputation.
stout looking crossmember. i like it

Old 02-07-2018, 04:53 AM
Walston
Posting Guru
Walston is a name known to allWalston is a name known to allWalston is a name known to allWalston is a name known to allWalston is a name known to allWalston is a name known to all
Very nice work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '58 F-100 Restoration Project

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.