'58 F-100 Restoration Project - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

'58 F-100 Restoration Project

Old 01-18-2018, 11:30 AM
fljab
Elder User
fljab has a great reputation on FTE.fljab has a great reputation on FTE.fljab has a great reputation on FTE.fljab has a great reputation on FTE.fljab has a great reputation on FTE.
I'm curious; what's the plan/procedure for the frame after it's done/fully boxed to get paint or other protective coating in the voids/behind the boxing plates?

I like the progress, great work so far.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:11 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
oldbleu is starting off with a positive reputation.
A little more progress was made today. The boxing in of the main frame channels is basically complete. All that is left is the final TIG welding which will come after everything else has been fabricated and fitted.

The picture above shows what I am talking about. The rear sway bar assembly has also been installed, including the brackets connecting the bar to the housing.

Above is a little different view.

The plan is to have as much of the chassis and suspension parts powdercoated as possible. I am kicking around the possibility of doing the frame in a dark silver and the suspension items done in a dark Ford blue. Those areas which will not be accessible to the powdercoating will be painted with POR15. All of the numerous holes in the frame rails will be plugged up and drain holes will be put in the lower sides of the frame channels as well.

Overall, things seem to be moving along pretty good at the moment. I am thinking seriously about moving the gas tank out of the cab and into the rear portion of the frame. I am exploring the possibilities with all that will be involved with that idea, including a custom made fuel tank.

I would imagine it will be next week before we see any more progress. Thanks to all who have provided input and encouragement.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:37 PM
yardbird
Posting Guru
yardbird is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looks great. Are you going to flip the sway bar mount blots over? Doing so, the nuts will be facing up, and the blots will slide out the bottom. Doing that, you will not have to remove the bed if the bushings need replacing, or some other problem makes removal of the sway bar necessary.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:04 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
Yes we are! We discussed that very thing earlier today for the same reasons you mentioned. Thanks for your input. One has to stay on their toes around here.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:22 PM
Fauj
Senior User
Fauj is starting off with a positive reputation.

There is a polished piece of stainless steel behind the RS cutout. So far, there have been no issues which means we are making good progress. Hopefully I will have more stuff before the weekend.
You may have some fitment issues with a Styleside bed with the rear crossmember at the end of the frame rails. I am working around this on mine as I am using a custom built crossmember on mine.

Here is the rear Styleside bed mount. I am guessing you could cut the inner pieces of it to clear the crossmember.

I am really enjoying the project!

Jeff

Old 01-20-2018, 03:42 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
Thanks, I will have a look at it. The bed is sitting in the garage at home, while the chassis is in the shop.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:51 PM
unilover6163
Senior User
unilover6163 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great project.
Looking forward to your progress updates.
Best of luck, Pete

Old 01-26-2018, 06:24 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
This week was a little slow, but some progress was made. With the majority of the rear suspension tacked in, our attention has turned to the front end.

In order to install the front end so the front wheels are located exactly where they should be with respect to the fender wheel openings, it was necessary to mock up the cab and fender on the frame.

A Dennis Carpenter cab mount kit was used to locate the cab on the frame. The kit was complete and worked perfectly. The front radiator core support was also mounted.

The guys at the Roadster Shop recommended using this method in order to get the front wheel located where it will look the best when the truck is finished. When the truck was disassembled, the existing spindle centerline was located and marked on the frame for reference. However, many times the factory leaf spring spindle centerline does not correspond to the best location for an IFS installation. I did not want to chance having my front end wind up in the wrong location so we are doing our best to make sure it is installed where it will look the best.

One of the front fenders will be mocked up next week along with some of the suspension parts. At that point, the final location of the IFS crossmember will be determined. Having the cab on the frame should also help us with getting the measurements necessary to position the engine in the correct spot.

As the above picture shows, there are a ton of holes in the firewall that will need to be filled, along with a small amount of rust repair on the lower portions of the cab. I still have not been able to find a source for a pair of steel replacement cab corners.

As always, I really appreciate the positive comments and suggestions. The feedback helps to minimize the prospect of having something get over looked. Thanks to all.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:17 AM
sendit
Freshman User
sendit is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you find corners let me know!

Old 01-27-2018, 03:31 AM
oldbleu
Senior User
I have hit up several vintage Ford parts dealers all over the country in my quest to find cab corners. I have been looking for 2 years. I did find a place which had the inner corners, but the outer corners are "out of stock" everywhere. The story most frequently given is that the place which used to manufacture the outer corners had a problem with their dies. Until that issue is fixed, there will not be any more made.

Finding nice corners on an existing cab is also difficult. If the lower corners are nice, the rest of the cab is usually nice as well. Nobody wants to cut up a cherry cab just for the corners. So, the search continues and if I find a source, I won't keep it a secret.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:03 PM
dcmania
Junior User
dcmania is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was just looking on eBay and saw that there is a cab and a 'project truck' for sale in California. No clear pixs of the cab corners, but you may be able to message the guy and get him to take some. He's selling the whole cab and the whole project but it looks like both have quite a few good parts. BTW, I'm not the guy and have no connection to him. I'm just trying to be helpful!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-Ford-F...1aYhiE&vxp=mtr

Old 01-27-2018, 01:41 PM
Fauj
Senior User
Fauj is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks like that truck is a little east of Barstow. Sort of disconcerting seeing sand piled up around it. We get rust, even in the desert.

Regarding cab corners, they can be made fairly easily with a little determination. For me the key was to make several small pieces vice attempting to make it as a single piece.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:25 AM
oldbleu
Senior User
I don't know where Fauj is located, but Newberry Springs is in some pretty remote country. I see the same seller has a '60 F-100 long bed that would be perfect for my "Farm Truck" project.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:21 AM
sendit
Freshman User
sendit is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by oldbleu View Post
I have hit up several vintage Ford parts dealers all over the country in my quest to find cab corners. I have been looking for 2 years. I did find a place which had the inner corners, but the outer corners are "out of stock" everywhere. The story most frequently given is that the place which used to manufacture the outer corners had a problem with their dies. Until that issue is fixed, there will not be any more made.

Finding nice corners on an existing cab is also difficult. If the lower corners are nice, the rest of the cab is usually nice as well. Nobody wants to cut up a cherry cab just for the corners. So, the search continues and if I find a source, I won't keep it a secret.
Are you looking for passenger or driver cab corner? I have a 57' parts truck with a decent driver side corner. Of course the passenger side is completely gone and that the side i need ha. I can take some pictures if you want. I have a feeling Im gonna have to just build mine from scratch, but thats ok I've done it before.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:57 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
willowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to all
I think with the quality and depth of this project, moving the tank and fitting it to the chassis would be a very wise decision. Nice work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '58 F-100 Restoration Project

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.