'58 F-100 Restoration Project - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

'58 F-100 Restoration Project

Old 01-15-2018, 02:42 AM
sawmaned
Elder User
sawmaned is starting off with a positive reputation.
your welcome,

Old 01-15-2018, 10:50 AM
sendit
Freshman User
sendit is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by oldbleu View Post
Hey Ed, the passenger side door in one of the pictures above is the infamous "Deschutes County Road Department" special. As you can see, it is just about perfect. Many thanks for your help in getting that door to be part of my project!
Where does it say Deschutes county road departmen? I thought the door came from Susanville.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:02 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
oldbleu is starting off with a positive reputation.
OK, let me try to connect the dots. Thanks to FTE, I discovered that Sawmaned had a bunch of Fridge parts, including a nice, rust free, passenger side door. This door appeared to be off one of the larger Ford trucks and still had the original, factory paint on it. For being a used door, it was about as good as one could ever hope for.

The door originally came off of a Deschutes County Road Department (Oregon) truck. I say this because there was a large Deschutes County Road Department sticker right in the middle of the door.

Sawmaned lives up in Susanville, California while I am down in Atascadero, California. I really wanted that door, but I wasn't too excited about the prospect of driving all the way up there and back. However, as luck would have it, Ed's son was visiting from San Francisco and agreed to bring the door down to Sacramento on his way home. Wouldn't you know, my brother lives in Sacramento! Once the delivery was made, I hooked up with my brother and the Deschutes door was brought down to its new home. Ultimately, the door was taken out for media blasting and then over to the hotrod shop where Mike Porter took care of making a few minor repairs before metal prepping and priming.

I know it is not the most exciting story, but the door really is from Oregon, by way of Susanville. I hope all of this explains how the Deschutes Door came to be included in my project.

As a final thought, if you ever find yourself hunting for a door for your '57-60 Ford truck, consider trying to land a door from one of the big conventional cab Ford trucks. Typically the big truck doors sit up much higher than the smaller trucks like the F-100. This helps to keep the lower part of the the door from being exposed to all the crap flying off of the front tires. Being higher off the road means there is less chance for rust and rot to get started. Additionally, many of the big trucks are relatively low mileage which further increases your chances of finding a cherry. The only down side to this is that the big truck doors will usually have a few extra mirror mounting holes which will need to be repaired.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:17 PM
sendit
Freshman User
Oh man how wild. I live in Bend OR, and Deschutes is the county Bend is in! Im doing a 1960 right now and wish i knew where the rest of that truck was ha!

Old 01-15-2018, 05:05 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
I wondered where the rest of that truck was as well. I wanted the driver's side door to add to my collection. Sawmaned told me the other door was not in good condition so I was only able to get a right side door.

BTW, I recently made a speed run out to Las Vegas and picked up a nice driver's side door. I hooked up with Ryan (78_f800crewcab4x4) who sold me the door I needed for the left side. While i was there, I got a chance t see his crewcab monster truck. It is one amazing vehicle.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:12 PM
sendit
Freshman User
Did you see the super duty or the super bronco? Both are great!

Old 01-15-2018, 05:22 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
I saw them both. The Super Duty is what I was focused on. Lots of time and effort in that one. Pretty remarkable for sure.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:23 PM
sendit
Freshman User
I agree, it's increadblie what he's done. Did he finish the roof yet?

Old 01-15-2018, 05:26 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
It wasn't finished when I was there. I believe he has since taken the truck all apart and it is stashed in his garage.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:20 PM
mrcman58
Posting Guru
mrcman58 has a very good reputation on FTE.mrcman58 has a very good reputation on FTE.mrcman58 has a very good reputation on FTE.
WOW Chris , i didnt know you were this far along with your 58, really looking great you always do things first class what are you going to do with the 292

Old 01-15-2018, 10:10 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
The 292 is still alive, sitting on the floor in the garage. I got my hands on a Y block style T-98a transmission, thanks to FTE member Marty Torres, which I just had rebuilt. I want to use all of the stuff left over from this build to put a low budget Fridge together, preferably a long bed. I just have to find the right truck. First things first so I am in no hurry.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:33 PM
mrcman58
Posting Guru
mrcman58 has a very good reputation on FTE.mrcman58 has a very good reputation on FTE.mrcman58 has a very good reputation on FTE.
if i see one for a decent price i will let you know

Old 01-17-2018, 02:42 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
Work is currently focusing on the rear suspension. The guys at the hotrod shop have made some good progress on the back half of the chassis.

The housing and 4 bar pieces have been tacked in. The third member is a Ford Racing nodular case with a 31 spline TrueTrac limited slip differential and a set of Yukon 3:70 gears.

The housing is a Currie item. The panhard bar is from the Roadster Shop.

The Roadster Shop 4 bar suspension fits in very nicely.

This might be a better picture.

There is a polished piece of stainless steel behind the RS cutout. So far, there have been no issues which means we are making good progress. Hopefully I will have more stuff before the weekend.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:34 PM
flhx06
Senior User
flhx06 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The craftsmanship looks awesome. Cant wait to see the stance on this when its rolling. Might have to run mine down from Marin when I am ready. They will already be tuned in on what to do!

Old 01-17-2018, 11:47 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
I am not shooting for a "slammed" stance, so we went with the standard height front spindles instead of the 2" dropped versions. It was either one or the other. Since the rear suspension should have more ability for adjustment, I am hoping to get the rear to fit in with wherever the front winds up. We have some pretty crappy roads around here. Vehicles that ride down in the weeds get ground up by the pot holes and other road problems. I don't want to trash the truck because it is too low.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '58 F-100 Restoration Project

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.