Notices
1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

'58 F-100 Restoration Project

Old 04-02-2019, 08:05 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
oldbleu is starting off with a positive reputation.
You guys are great! I now have a couple of options for getting the cab removed and I have a plan to make it somewhat mobile once it is off the chassis. I just got back from the local hardware store and I have the materials for getting started on the "Cab Cart". I'll post some more pictures when I get things put together. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:46 PM
thrifty
Senior User
thrifty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tool Mart has a Champ body, bed, and cab lifter on sale for $155.00. It uses the cherry picker style as Dennis- posted. It uses a channel which pivots at the end to keep it straight when lifting. to bad you are not closer to me as I would let it go for 75. 6 1/2 hours away is a haul. I have an a-frame and don't need it. BTW nice build keep up the pics

Old 04-03-2019, 08:39 AM
mctooo
Freshman User
mctooo is starting off with a positive reputation.
When I lifted my cab off I used the engine hoist as others have done. I put strap through the upper door hinge pocket on cab and a strap through the rear bracing on back of cab Would be top of gas tank and hooked it to bottom of rocker panel I used two straps crossed in the middle and picked it up through the door Took a couple of tries to find balance point I was able to remove it and set it back on by my self. Didn't thing to take any pictures of it

Old 04-06-2019, 02:46 AM
oldbleu
Senior User
After considering all of the input provided by FTE members, I developed a plan and managed to get the cab off the frame. Thanks again to all who offered suggestions.

I went ahead and used the four tie down straps that were used to get the bed off. I secured the front two tie downs in the lower door hinge pockets while the back two tie downs were secured to a pair eye bolts mounted in an existing seatbelt bolt hole. I put the boom of the engine hoist in the right side door and lifted the cab up off the frame. The fun began almost immediately. My estimate of the center of gravity was off. The front of the cab weighs more than the back of the cab. Needless to say, things got interesting very quickly once I rolled the frame out from under the cab. My solution was to lower the cab as far as possible and then support it on a set of four jack stands. After getting the engine hoist out of the way, I used a floor jack to get the cab raised up high enough to roll the "Cab Cart" into position. The wooden cart is comprised of four two by fours cut up and assembled onto a set of roller casters. I had purchased these wheels about 8 years ago when I was planning on doing this same exercise with my '37 truck cab. I am surprised I was able to find them. The wooden frame for the cart was built last night.

I have to admit that I had to get some help with this whole procedure from my wife. At my age, the mind is willing but the body is not.

With the bed and cab removed, I can now turn my attention to disassembling the rest of the chassis so we can get some powdercoating done.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:15 AM
joes99
Freshman User
joes99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
cab cart

Good job getting it removed. I would suggest adding some extra reinforcements to the cart for good measure. I am constantly shifting mine around to clean up, etc

Old 04-06-2019, 09:56 AM
flhx06
Senior User
flhx06 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Congrats on getting everything removed safely! Seems like quite the task. Good job finding those casters too. I often have a lot of those "I know I have those somewhere" moments. Can never find them myself until I buy the replacement. Then they show up the next day or week!

That chassis sitting there with no sheetmetal looks nice! You can really see all the work that went into it.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:05 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
Joe....Good idea...I got in a hurry to begin working on tearing the chassis apart.

Flhx06....As you can see in the pictures, my garage looks like a bomb went off in there. It's a miracle I can find anything. I also suffer from an acute case of "Flat Surface Syndrome". Any time a clean flat surface appears in my garage, it is immediately buried in car parts.

I just took delivery of a box of Eastwood dark Ford blue powder to coat the frame. I am in a hurry to get the chassis into the powdercoating shop. I know there will be a hold up in getting it back. Hopefully I can get the engine out in the next few days.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:26 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
The chassis has been completely stripped of the engine and all suspension pieces. I am now busy with the grinder finishing the smoothing of the frame for powdercoating.

The control arms, brackets and 4 link rods have already been prepped and dropped off at the powdercoat shop. Those parts figure to be a different color than the frame. Monday they are supposed to bring a trailer and pick up the chassis. Even with everything removed, the frame is still very heavy. I hope they bring a few extra guys.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:25 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
I have to admit that I had to get some help with this whole procedure from my wife.
Don't feel bad I was able to get my cab removed by myself but wife helped me get it back on the frame.
Looking good.
Dave ----

Old 04-15-2019, 04:54 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
After spending the last 2 days two days massaging the frame with the flapper disk on my grinder, we were ready for the powdercoating process to begin. As mentioned before, the frame now weighs a lot more than it did in stock form.

The guys at Full Spectrum Powder Coating in Atascadero, California were up for the challenge. They came out to the house with a truck and trailer and four of us got the frame loaded up and strapped down.

Once again I watched as my truck was hauled off into the sunset. I think we are finally turning the corner on this project. Hopefully things will start going back together for real when I get the chassis back home.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:52 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
The rear end housing has been finished off and it is now back home. I plan to prop it up and do some of the initial assembly before the chassis arrives.

This picture makes the blue color look much lighter than it actually appears in person.

Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM
dman2008
Elder User
dman2008 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Love seeing the updates, looking good!

D