Notices
1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

'58 F-100 Restoration Project

Old 03-13-2019, 09:36 AM
flhx06
Senior User
flhx06 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looking good. I like how the steering worked out too. Not too complex of a an angle.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:19 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
oldbleu is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks guys!

The de-construction efforts have continued. With the cab removed, it is now time to move forward with the exhaust.

The stainless tubing has finally arrived and the fabrication of the exhaust system has commenced.

The exhaust manifolds are new from a 2014 Coyote crate engine. At some point, I will probably get them coated with some high tech ceramic material. The extra thick stainless exhaust flanges were found on ebay.

With the cab off, the E-STOPP electric parking brake actuator is a little easier to see. The additional pair of cab mounts are also visible. The floor stiffener had been compromised with the installation of the new transmission tunnel so a couple of brackets and biscuits were added to help support the cab floor.

This last picture shows the rearend housing sitting at ride height. Most all of the fluid hard lines have been completed and all that is needed to finish them off are a few more hold down clamps .

Old 03-15-2019, 08:56 AM
mctooo
Freshman User
mctooo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks good Moving right along

Old 03-15-2019, 10:18 AM
flhx06
Senior User
flhx06 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looking forward to seeing this truck fire!

Old 03-21-2019, 02:51 AM
oldbleu
Senior User
Work continues at a feverish pace. As mentioned earlier, the last major bit of fabrication involves the exhaust system.

The consensus is that 2 1/2" pipes will provide the Coyote the best performance and sound. The mufflers are from Borla.

The hangers are a product of Deeds Engineering in Moorpark, CA.

The exhaust will make a 90 degree bend and run between the 4 bar rods, exiting in front of the rear wheels.

With the cab off and the exhaust finished, the finish welding on the frame began. As much welding as possible was done before the chassis was removed from the frame jig. TIG welding was the method of choice.

Once the top side was finished, the frame was flipped over and the welding party continued.........

Old 03-21-2019, 04:44 AM
joes99
Freshman User
joes99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Those hangers are slick

Old 03-22-2019, 09:43 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
Today the guys at the shop managed to finish their end of my project, at least as it relates to the chassis and running gear. Lots of work still remains on the sheetmetal (cab/bed), but the basic chassis is done.

The engine, transmission, suspension, cab, bed and frame were all loosely fitted together for the trip back home. With the aid of a flatbed tow truck, the '58 F-100 was carefully deposited on my garage.

It seems like there are F-100 parts all over the garage. Nothing takes up more room than a car project in pieces.

If you look closely, you can see the exhaust tip sticking out in front of the rear wheel. The stance is very close to what I am looking for. The first thing on the agenda is to make room for all of the parts (cab/bed/engine) which will come off the truck as it gets stripped back down in order to powdercoat the frame and suspension. More to come.....

Old 03-23-2019, 01:46 AM
oldbleu
Senior User
[QUOTE=Fauj;17739853]You may have some fitment issues with a Styleside bed with the rear crossmember at the end of the frame rails. I am working around this on mine as I am using a custom built crossmember on mine.

Jeff....Remember when you posted this back in January of last year? We got down to the nitty-gritty and we did have fitment issues regarding the crossmember at the end of the rear of the frame rails as you mentioned. The bed would not fit on the frame without making some modifications and this issue got kicked down the road until the very end. With the bed sitting in my garage and the frame at the shop, it was easy to lose sight of this problem. The solution was to either cut up the bed back by the rear license plate or relocate the rear crossmember. Since it figured to be more of a hassle modifying the bed, we decided to pull out that really cool Roadster Shop rear crossmember and replace it with a piece of 1'x4" rectangular steel tube. The new crossmember was moved up in the frame about an inch and a half, clearing the bed sheetmetal. The bed fit without making any modifications.

This isn't the best picture, but it does show what we did to make it all work. This new and improved crossmember will still add to the stiffness of the frame and provide a little protection for the fuel tank.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:54 PM
Fauj
Senior User
Fauj is starting off with a positive reputation.
Glad you guys got it sorted! Must be nice to have the truck back home.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:00 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
Yes it is very good to have it home, but I still have a lot to get done. First will be tearing it all apart again so the frame and suspension parts can be detailed and then sent off for powdercoating. Getting the bed and cab off the chassis by myself will be a challenge. Thanks again for your help.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:39 PM
oldbleu
Senior User
Since the the plan will be to disassemble everything in the very near future, I though I would post a couple of more pictures of where we are at the moment.

As mentioned earlier, the exhaust is coming out just forward of the rear wheel. Routing the exhaust this way is what I have done with other truck projects and it saves trying to get it past all the rear suspension parts.

By the time the fuel tank is installed, there isn't a whole lot of room left to get the pipes over and past the track-bar, gas tank and rearend housing. I can always lengthen it later if I change my mind.

The Coyote is getting closer to being able to rumble, but first I have to pull it out for the chassis powdercoating. Having the exhaust system completed will make it much easier (quieter) to fire it up for the first time. I am hoping the Borla mufflers sound good. In the above picture, the Hamburger's oil filter adapter is clearly visible. Between the front suspension and the large size Coyote engine, there isn't a lot of room for some of the essentials like an oil filter without resorting to some creative engineering. I will also have a BUNCH of flexible hose lines to make up before the engine can be run.

Once again, I appreciate the comments, suggestions and encouragement from all of the members here on FTE. It makes doing a project like this more fun.