Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm new! 08 F350 V10 questions!

Old 12-22-2017, 09:52 AM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
yeah, the 4 LOW torque to the wheels is so high that the front or rear axle brakes could be "groaning" while you're standing there trying to keep it from moving.

Merry Christmas or whatever you're into

Old 12-23-2017, 09:35 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud of
Following along...

Old 12-25-2017, 10:46 PM
johnfist
Senior User
johnfist is starting off with a positive reputation.
Okay! Merry Christmas all!

So, I pulled plug 6. See below:
https://lensdump.com/i/7YqK3

Codes went away, but then came back as pending random misfire, and misfire cyl 5, 6, 7.

Knowing the plugs probably all look like that I know I'm going to get stuck changing them. What else should I be considering? If they've ran this motor this long with misfires are the exhaust cats trash? Could they be blocked?

Old 12-26-2017, 09:25 AM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Merry Christmas, even though you made me dry heave looking at that plug

The cats might very well be toast, however, OBD-II (it's a 3-valve) should have shut the injector down on that cylinder so the amount of fuel getting past the engine should have been minimal. I'd still investigate though.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:40 AM
johnfist
Senior User
Haha yeah that's the worst plug I think I've ever seen. Well here's hoping the rest aren't as bad. Will update soon.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:02 AM
Im50fast
Nice guy!
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by johnfist View Post
Haha yeah that's the worst plug I think I've ever seen. Well here's hoping the rest aren't as bad. Will update soon.
Agreed!Keep us posted. Iím subscribing to this thread

Old 12-28-2017, 09:16 PM
johnfist
Senior User
Okay, update with some developments.

Pulled plug on cyl 7, it didn't look as bad but the ceramic was cracked. Unclear if that happened during removal or if it was like that prior. I replaced it regardless.

I've noticed that the electrical connector on # 6, 7, and 8 for the COPs seem to lack the ability to latch on. Makes me wonder if they are just coming loose going down the road. I can get my CEL to go away once I tinker on the truck, but after a few miles issues start to happen and power loss occurs. They DO work, I tested with the engine running by removing each and verified the engine stuttered. Are these replaceable?

Finally, there's a noise I've been hearing, that I had attributed to the miss, but perhaps isn't. It sounds similar to a exhaust leak but I am having trouble locating it. It's definitely coming from the driver side area of the engine. I'm linking two videos of the sound, strangely enough the noise seems much louder in the videos than in person.

Thanks!

edit: ehhh didn't mean to embed them, but not sure how to undo it...

Old 12-28-2017, 10:29 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
Coil connector pigtails are replaceable:
2008 FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY 6.8L V10 Ignition Coil Connector | RockAuto

Some people have been known to use a zippy tie to hold the connector onto the coil.
Me. I have been known to do that. It is non-conductive and lasts until the spark plugs need to come out again. Your My friends will laugh until they need something hauled.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:58 PM
johnfist
Senior User
Prices on those aren't bad, but the ziptie is an excellent idea for troubleshooting and getting by until replacement. Thanks!

Old 12-29-2017, 04:17 PM
johnfist
Senior User
Anyone get a chance to watch/listen to those vids? The sound makes me a bit nervous, but it has been driven over 200 miles (since I've owned it) with the sound. :/

Old 12-29-2017, 04:25 PM
Krewat
Super Moderator
All I hear in the first video is a lot of ticking, and in the second video, it sounds pretty normal. Put a vacuum gauge on it and see if you get normal vacuum when driving - the vacuum will drop really low if the cats are clogged.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:01 PM
Magoo22
Junior User
Magoo22 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It's really tough to tell on those. Not sure I would call that normal. I can hardly hear my v10 in the cab (07). Hear the power steering pump and exhaust more than anything... Have you checked the exhaust studs? Could be the source of noise as well. Even if they are not broken take a look and make sure they are not showing signs of exhaust leaks. If someone messed with them and did not replace them they will not seal up right. From the look of that plug, after changing them, you might get a great deal of benefit from hooking up a heavy trailer and going for a good drive to get some heat into it and clean things up... I'd even splurge of a couple of tanks of premium 100% gas.
I got a Bluetooth OBD 11 dongle and can monitor things while driving. Helps me feel good that I'm not hurting the unit. Plus Forscan is handy.

Last edited by Magoo22; 12-29-2017 at 06:03 PM. Reason: auto correct
Old 12-30-2017, 08:50 PM
johnfist
Senior User
Are the exhaust studs still a problem in the 3V versions? I hadn't checked. I did see a bit of exhaust pipe rust/degradation while I was under the truck changing the fuel filter. Didn't seem to be a complete breakdown but I could have overlooked something.

Where would I even get 100% gas these days? Can't say that I've seen any around. Would like to buy it for my lawn equipment that's for sure.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:16 AM
Magoo22
Junior User
Magoo22 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes, the studs are an issue on the 3v. It almost makes sense to treat them as a maintenance item and change them before they break. Would turn a potential head destroying knuckle busting nasty 3 day job into an afternoon with a couple of beers...

When I did mine I decided to pull the engine as the 05 up have a few obstacles that the leaf spring units don't. Could have tried harder and got it done in the unit but didn't like the risk level vs effort.

Not sure where you are so can't offer any help on the gas. Here in Alberta Shell Gold and COOP premium are 100% gas.

I'm sure that once you get it firing on all cylinders it should clean up nice. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:12 AM
johnfist
Senior User
Small update. After zip tying the COP connectors, things ran better for much longer. I managed to go about 15 miles ~55mph before a CEL came back. The codes this time were 300, 306, and a few 35x codes. I know the 35x codes are COP related, so I may just change the units that are associated with the codes.

As for 306 misfire, I'm a little puzzled there. New COP, new plug, connector seemed tight but I need to check it again.

Haven't had a chance to check the exhaust studs yet. Hoping to get some time with the truck over this week.

Thanks again everyone, I'll keep updating.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm new! 08 F350 V10 questions!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.