2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Driver's Battery Leaking (check yours) Corroded Cables Disintegrating Clamp

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 04:34 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RubyLariat
I checked my batteries and they had the same corrosion on both batteries. Took it to the dealer and they said it’s “acid vapor” from the heat of the engine and wouldn’t replace because it’s “normal.” Anyone else have this issue?
what a CROCK!
find another dealer!

I would have told them...VAPOR mean gas....this is MOISTURE/Liquid, not vapor.
A gassing battery is a fire hazard could explode (all it takes is a spark).

I say ok mr service writer....lets go see some new cars on the lot...lets see if those batteries are vap'ing

Old 09-27-2018, 01:02 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
SO my dealer...took TWO days to look at my truck/batteries and the corroded hold downs.....
They replaced the DRIVERS SIDE battery and hold down clamp (this is the 3rd / drivers side battery ive had now)....

Ford would not approve the replacement of the passenger side battery and hold down....the claim is the passenger side battery is venting which doesnt explain the moisture on the top of the battery OR the hold down bracket that is obviously corroded by acid.

I've asked for a meeting with FORD - and im readying alternative plans.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:21 PM
Don Schuler
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery replacement

This is the 2nd time to the dealer ,replaced ds batt. Got home checked battery fluid level and some needed distilled water took it back to the dealer to fix and was told that they don't top of batteries so they will be changing the battery again tomorrow. I even called a different dealer in a different city for the same answer. Hope this helps other owners. Love my truck just not the dealer.👍

Old 10-04-2018, 09:40 PM
brandontolentino
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At least they're changing your batteries. My dealer....and a few others....say the corrosion is "normal"

Old 10-04-2018, 09:46 PM
RubyLariat
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brandontolentino
At least they're changing your batteries. My dealer....and a few others....say the corrosion is "normal"
thats what I’m dealing with as well. Even after calling ford and getting a case number to fix, all I got was the top bracket replaced and corrosion spray.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:54 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
I'll be returning to the shop - Ive spoken with the foreman that agrees, if the battery is WET on top and the strap is corroded it should all be replaces.....
I have also now developed another error (reported by low voltage/communications)....so the timing of the shop foreman's call is good...

Old 10-18-2018, 06:42 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Upon return to the dealer this week the dealer re-evaluated the passenger side batter and replaced it...BUT they did not replace corroded hold down bracket - service manager / foreman admitted the bracket should be replaced.
I will have to return to the dealership a 5th time to resolve this issue.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:18 AM
delorenzomp
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this a bad battery design? Has it been addressed at the factory for 2019?? it is very discouraging to have to look forward to this, and to look at the timeline to see that it is not isolated.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:16 AM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by delorenzomp
Is this a bad battery design? Has it been addressed at the factory for 2019?? it is very discouraging to have to look forward to this, and to look at the timeline to see that it is not isolated.
these batteries are not unique to the 6.7L SD, I doubt its a battery design issue.

I suspect its either a placement/location/hold-down/vibration issue OR (more likely) an alternator charge/output level issue.
My truck constantly charges at 14.7v (w/ the occasional / rare dip to 14.3v)....the alternator output charges at this level regardless of the load or engine rpm.

every vehicle we own or have owned recovers the batteries after starting w/ a higher charge/output from the alternator and then tapers back to 13-4-13.8v a few minutes after the vehicle is running.
supposedly the last tech that worked on the 3 (drivers side) battery replacement was suspicious of the alternator output, tested it, and did not replace the alternator.

the drivers side batteries seem to show more dramatic signs of leakage (sooner) than the passenger side battery, once im out of warranty - ill install REAL sealed AGM type batteries....but until then...this is FORDs problem to resolve.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:21 AM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
Although I have a 6.2L I found my battery leaking as well. Im still under warranty but chose to install an AGM, problem solved long term

Old 10-19-2018, 12:11 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by rwilimo
Although I have a 6.2L I found my battery leaking as well. Im still under warranty but chose to install an AGM, problem solved long term
ever monitor your voltage when the engine is running?

Old 10-19-2018, 12:35 PM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by bushpilot
ever monitor your voltage when the engine is running?
Every day, I have scan gauge II, I have never seen anything out of the ordinary. These alternators are all PCM controlled, its rather unusual to have incorrect voltages in my experience. I truly believe these batteries are just junk.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:58 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Both of my hold down clamps on my 2017 F450 had some corrosion on the bottom. I just took them off, cleaned the battery, wirebrushed the corrosion, prime and paint. 30 minutes... done. I cleaned the battery tops while the paint dried.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:05 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 2009kr
Both of my hold down clamps on my 2017 F450 had some corrosion on the bottom. I just took them off, cleaned the battery, wirebrushed the corrosion, prime and paint. 30 minutes... done. I cleaned the battery tops while the paint dried.
not something I would expect to have to do on a $70k truck.
wiping the batteries DRY wont eliminate the problem - all you'll end up w/ is a prematurely dry/dead batter that has a clean top.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:06 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by rwilimo
Every day, I have scan gauge II, I have never seen anything out of the ordinary. These alternators are all PCM controlled, its rather unusual to have incorrect voltages in my experience. I truly believe these batteries are just junk.
and what are your running/charge voltage readings?

Quick Reply: Driver's Battery Leaking (check yours) Corroded Cables Disintegrating Clamp