GM to use carbon fiber in new beds - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition
Reload this Page >

GM to use carbon fiber in new beds

Notices
Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:51 AM
RJC2
Posting Guru
RJC2 has a good reputation on FTE.RJC2 has a good reputation on FTE.RJC2 has a good reputation on FTE.

After touting the superiority of steel over aluminum, GM is apparently going to construct a [portion] of their new bed from carbon fiber. I'm interested to see how this works out. It may be a good idea.
This is going to make an already light truck, (compared to the Ford) even lighter. I'm not sure how that is going to play out in the field. Lighter isn't always better, especially in this class truck.
GM pickups to offer carbon fiber beds, report says | Fox News

Old 12-17-2017, 11:29 AM
GABAR
Posting Guru
GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by RJC2 View Post
After touting the superiority of steel over aluminum, GM is apparently going to construct a [portion] of their new bed from carbon fiber. I'm interested to see how this works out. It may be a good idea.
This is going to make an already light truck, (compared to the Ford) even lighter. I'm not sure how that is going to play out in the field. Lighter isn't always better, especially in this class truck.
GM pickups to offer carbon fiber beds, report says | Fox News
You`re kind of right.

GM is considering using Carbon Fiber reinforced "PLASTIC" for the bed in some of their trucks.

There is a big difference between Carbon Fiber and Carbon Fiber Plastic.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:36 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
They've tried it before. I could care less about weight. RUST is thy enemy.

I'm going to make youtube vids of dropping tool boxes on GM beds a priority. Maybe I'll even teach a camel to sit on the tailgate and crush it. Because we all know how practical it is to have tailgates that are camel proof.