2017 F-250 Hitch/Safety Chain Clevis Openings - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

2017 F-250 Hitch/Safety Chain Clevis Openings

Old 12-16-2017, 08:57 PM
kckettridge
New User
kckettridge is starting off with a positive reputation.
Angry 2017 F-250 Hitch/Safety Chain Clevis Openings

Has anyone else run into the issue on their 2017/2018 hitch where the clevis hooks on the safety chains won't insert all the way into the openings on the bumper because the holes/eyelets are too damn small? I changed the clevis hooks out on the tow chains thinking that if the hook itself was larger, it would slip over the flange which it does (barely) but the safety spring latch that snaps back onto the hook can't snap back because that flange is in the way. Obviously the engineers at FOMOCO don't tow trailers themselves or the they would have made the holes/eyelets large enough to accommodate at least a 15/16" or even a 3/4" clevis hook.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:57 AM
TrippinStfflr
Junior User
TrippinStfflr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yep.. The dumb thing is they fit on the F150. I keep forgetting to pick up some shackles from Tractor Supply. Thanks for reminding me.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:28 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
shackles is what most are using to overcome the engineers.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:33 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Elder User
Slowpoke Slim has a very good reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a very good reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a very good reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a very good reputation on FTE.
Did they change the hitch arrangement vs. the previous body style? I haven't looked that closely at the '17-up hitches. On mine, I just turn the hook sideways and the retaining clip will clear the side edge of the eyelet, then let it turn back straight again and hang normally.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:19 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim View Post
Did they change the hitch arrangement vs. the previous body style? I haven't looked that closely at the '17-up hitches. On mine, I just turn the hook sideways and the retaining clip will clear the side edge of the eyelet, then let it turn back straight again and hang normally.
I have a '17 and your technique is what I use to get the tow hooks into my hitch. I've connected to three different trailers and all of them have connected OK. I have the 3" receiver, not the 2.5" receiver. But I don't think that makes a difference because there have been so many complaints.

There is a large thread on this issue in the 2017+ subforum if anyone is interested.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:31 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I despise the trailers I have to move for customers that put chain hooks, for linking chains together, on the trailer safety chains. The standards old bent wire type hooks work fine.

These are good:

If you absolutely have to use the chunky cast hooks, you can use a shackle. Maybe it's a weight strength thing, I don't know. But it's not just a ford problem. Reading utility bodies and our other trucks, have the same problem, or at least the custom hitch included with my truck does.

I hate the fatty ones:

Don't even get me started on the completely unnecessary spring clasp thing. Has anyone ever had a regular hook fall off?

Old 12-18-2017, 09:52 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Buliwyf View Post
I despise the trailers I have to move for customers that put chain hooks, for linking chains together, on the trailer safety chains. The standards old bent wire type hooks work fine.

These are good:

If you absolutely have to use the chunky cast hooks, you can use a shackle. Maybe it's a weight strength thing, I don't know. But it's not just a ford problem. Reading utility bodies and our other trucks, have the same problem, or at least the custom hitch included with my truck does.

I hate the fatty ones:

Don't even get me started on the completely unnecessary spring clasp thing. Has anyone ever had a regular hook fall off?
When you refer to chain hooks I think you mean something like this:

The above gizmo is sometimes also called a carabiner, but most people think of carabiners for climbing and those would not be suitable for the safety chains. I use a chain quick link like in the above picture to connect my breakaway cable to my hitch. It's overkill and I'm OK with that.

My single axle ATV trailer uses the hook in the first picture while my 11K toy hauler uses a 3/8 hook like in the second picture. I'm not real thrilled with the s-hook on the ATV trailer, but it works.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:46 PM
cdnfireman
Senior User
cdnfireman is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have seen the simple S hooks fall out lots of times. Rough gravel roads and washboard roads will do it.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:04 PM
Delta1166
Freshman User
Delta1166 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Might I suggest using a set of D-Rings in the factory hitch slots/holes? Then attach the safety chains. I recommend the sets w/ the rubber isolators.
Cost anywhere from about US$9 to maybe $28 depending on brand/color,etc..
here's a link showing example:
 https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-13047B-Black-D-Ring/dp/B001CF1A6U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513724821&sr=8-1&keywords=Smittybilt+13047B+3%2F4%22+Black+D-Ring https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-13047B-Black-D-Ring/dp/B001CF1A6U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513724821&sr=8-1&keywords=Smittybilt+13047B+3%2F4%22+Black+D-Ring

or from FleaBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-3-4-...RaD7AI&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Delta1166; 12-19-2017 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Changed Amazon link to remove my account ID#
Old 12-25-2017, 09:24 PM
VA13FX4
Senior User
VA13FX4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
I have a '17 and your technique is what I use to get the tow hooks into my hitch. I've connected to three different trailers and all of them have connected OK. I have the 3" receiver, not the 2.5" receiver. But I don't think that makes a difference because there have been so many complaints.

There is a large thread on this issue in the 2017+ subforum if anyone is interested.
I agree with these two. Itís all in the technique. I had shackles on my F150 because it was a pain to attach any safety chain. The first time I went to hook up a trailer to my 17 250 I was pretty annoyed that a truck meant for towing would be such a pain to hook chains to. After a few minutes I figured out the technique. I position the hook so the point is forward and the opening up then hook & rotate it around the hitch opening. Comes off the same way. Hooked several trailers like this without issue. It just takes a minute to figure out the angle.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:31 PM
wrvond
Posting Guru
wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by VA13FX4 View Post
I agree with these two. Itís all in the technique. I had shackles on my F150 because it was a pain to attach any safety chain. The first time I went to hook up a trailer to my 17 250 I was pretty annoyed that a truck meant for towing would be such a pain to hook chains to. After a few minutes I figured out the technique. I position the hook so the point is forward and the opening up then hook & rotate it around the hitch opening. Comes off the same way. Hooked several trailers like this without issue. It just takes a minute to figure out the angle.

I agree. Haven't had any issue getting the hooks on - once I get myself bent over far enough to reach the darn thing!
Mousing is absolutely required. I wouldn't trust a hook to stay on without it.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:54 PM
wb6anp
Postmaster
wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.
I ended up using a set of Hammerlocks Ive seen a few D rings as shown above, pull apart.

Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2018, 09:40 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just put on some shackles. I'll bet the thicker chain locations have something to do with the larger 3" hitch. Maybe we need stronger rated chain mounts.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:47 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I had the same problem with the hooks on my trailer and my '17 F250. It took some fiddling but I managed to get them in properly. Certainly not the best design.

I would be VERY careful using S hooks or a quick-link to attach the chains. I have seen both of those fail under moderate loading. If your trailer was to come off the hitch there would likely be a significant shock load to the chains. The S hooks and add-a-link things are not very strong.

If you really want to use something do the biggest threaded shackle you can get on it. Those are pretty strong.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:31 PM
dirthawg
Elder User
dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Clubwagon View Post
If your trailer was to come off the hitch there would likely be a significant shock load to the chains.
I would agree, however have a look at the load rating of a shackle even the small ones can hold quite a bit. I wouldn't use anything less than a shackle for arguments sake.

Has anyone had a trailer come off the hitch? I have, and the trailer tongue did not rest on the safety chains alone like I thought it was designed to do. The trailer tongue hit the pavement. The chains did allow me to bring the trailer to the side of the road and come to a complete stop even though I did not have a break away switch for the electric brakes installed.

My current travel trailer looks like the chains are longer than the distance from my hitch to the pavement and would have similar results if it came off the hitch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 F-250 Hitch/Safety Chain Clevis Openings

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.