Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Snow plowing with a f150

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 05:18 PM
garmford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow plowing with a f150

I'd like to hear from people that use their 150'to plow. I'm not talking commercial plowing! Just their own driveways and maybe a neighbor or two. What's the biggest plow that the 150 can handle?

I currently have a 2004 f250 but I don't think that it will make it thru the winter. An f150 will easily replace the f250 for all of my daily activities but plowing makes me weary. I guess I wonder if I'll regret not having a solid front axle.

Id like to hear from guys that actually plow with their 150 and any issues they've had.

Thanks!

Old 12-16-2017, 05:38 PM
WhiteEx
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 20015 F-150 with the 3.5 ecoboost engine, and I bought it with the intention of putting a plow on it. But then I discovered that you can't put a plow on the eco engine- the blade will block too much air flow to the turbos. When looking at new or used trucks, make sure that a plow suspension is available for that model.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:52 PM
garmford
Senior User
I was aware that the 5.0 was the only optioned engine to use for plowing. I am unaware of any suspension packages available for snow plowing like the super duties. The only prep that the 150's come with that I'm know of is a switch that kills some of the non essential electronics while plowing.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:36 PM
Raining111
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Supposedly Sno-Way has plows that are designed for the Ecoboost Engines. I've never used one, but they may be worth checking out.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:18 PM
JoeD.1153
New User
I just joined and this is my first post, please excuse the length and if it wanders. I searched a bit before sending this and didn't find what I was looking for, so I present it to you guys. Be gentle !!

Two weeks ago I bought my very first Ford ever, an F150 Super Cab with the plow prep pkg. mainly for plowing my driveway and yard. I've lost my appetite for the 3-5 hours it takes to clear out. At my place I have to blow snow into the wind and the thought of it is just not fun any more. Ford gave me by far the best trade in and highest discount off the sticker price, so enter F-150.

The dealer (salesman) made no mention of restrictions prior to the sale and hasn't been able to answer my simple questions since, so I gave up asking. In a nutshell I was told that with the 'plow prep' the warranty is preserved and won't be voided due to plowing and also that the truck has heavier front springs, heavier alternator, and a button that disconnects electric items my XTR doesn't even have (heated seats, heated steering wheel, etc). All the plow dealers I talked to say they have a blade for this truck. They all weigh in the neighborhood +/- of 500 lbs (blade, fluids, and chassis mount combined). The sticker on the driver's door pillar says the front GAWR of my truck is 3450 lb, right between the lowest and heaviest F-150 axle capacities. When I do the math, (FGAWR) - (Front axle 'Curb Weight') I'm left with around 450 lb. That's cutting it pretty close in my little mind. My concern is the warranty, which the salesman says will be fine with any of the HT plows out there, even though some exceed that weight by 40-60 lb. He also said a 2" front leveling kit would be a good idea and doesn't change the front geometry enough to be a warranty concern either. I had the front lift done today but have yet to buy a plow. I'm not sure what to buy...some have 27" moldboards, 24" moldboards, hydraulic + chain lifts, or and direct hydraulic lift for slightly more $$. The best regular prices available locally in a standard duty, light weight HT plow are the SnoDogg MD75 and Fisher Drive Pro 7½' units. Both are $5995.00 + tax installed. The Dogg has a 2 year warranty vs Fisher's 5 yrs. I'm not familiar with either but do like the simplicity of the MD75 (no expensive 'module' to die) but a less desirable chain lift and attaching system than others with direct cylinder lift (the HTS for instance). I even considered the full hydraulic Myer's HomePlow 26000 from Canadian Tire just because it's $2000.00 cheaper ($4100.00 + tax), but with only a 1 year warranty and no available extended warranty option (??) I'm leaning away from that in favor of the heavier, more capable looking MD75. I guess I'm looking for the experience and knowledge of the forum for guidance and help making a decision. Two days ago we had our first blizzard that (luckily) only dropped a foot of snow and 2 - 3 foot drifts. I don't want to wait too much longer and am asking for your thoughts...

1.) Can anyone point me to actual Ford documentation where it specifies what weight the 2018 F-150 can carry in a front mounted plow?

2.) Your opinions on the plows mentioned, or something that would be better .. but still in the 500 lb or less category?

3.) Is there much talk of Ford balking on the warranty with these vehicles when used for light plowing?

Apologies for the long post, and thanks in advance for your time and advice.

(( If this is the wrong thread I hope a mod moves it to where it should be...thanks! ))

Cheers,

-joe- ☺

Old 12-18-2017, 09:30 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Take a look at Boss snow plows, superior to other plows in many ways. I've had one since 2001 and it has had a total of $475 in repairs since new, still on the original motor. I sell them for a living so I know them inside and out. Direct lift, Heated LED headlights, NO modules but old fashion relays that are reliable and easy to trouble shoot...the list goes on.

A 7'6" HTX straight blade (optional down pressure this year) or 7'6" HTX V plow will go on your truck without issue, locally the dealers give no issue with plows for warranty, this is all regional though.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:02 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Did you get the typical spacer type leveling kit that mounts over top of the strut? A spacer that mounts on top of the spring, or Bilstein front shocks (they retain your factory springs) will give a greater pre load on the spring and support your plow better.

No plow experience, but I have mounted more Ranch Hand front replacement bumpers than I can count.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:59 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Back when Ford brought out the plow prep package on the 2011-2014 trucks, the plow was earmarked for the 5.0L or the 6.2L. Now it's only the 5.0L trucks. Anyway, every pic that I saw from a Ford advertising standpoint showed a truck with the BOSS plow set up. All electric, no fluids. Supposedly and perhaps Russ can better illustrate my point, BOSS seems to have a superior mounting system to the frame that may reduce the impact of plowing.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:06 AM
garmford
Senior User
I stopped by our local plow dealer yesterday. They suggested looking for a front axle between 3450-3750. They suggested the Boss plow or a Sno-way. As mentioned above, you can have an Ecoboost with a sno-way. Less wiring too since they are remote control. Both were priced around $5000 installed. Now I need to shop for a truck!

Old 12-19-2017, 08:58 AM
JoeD.1153
New User
Thanks Russ. I called the local Boss dealer a few days ago. They want $7100 for the plow kit (blade, mount, & harness) + $350 to install...just short of $9000 with tax. The way they quoted the pricing it's like they were selling the package as "3 parts kits". I'm a retired homeowner wanting to get away from hours of snow blowing each time it storms. That's just way too expensive for me.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:08 AM
JoeD.1153
New User
Typical, Rough Country 2" + wheel alignment.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:33 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Originally Posted by JoeD.1153
Thanks Russ. I called the local Boss dealer a few days ago. They want $7100 for the plow kit (blade, mount, & harness) + $350 to install...just short of $9000 with tax. The way they quoted the pricing it's like they were selling the package as "3 parts kits". I'm a retired homeowner wanting to get away from hours of snow blowing each time it storms. That's just way too expensive for me.
That is ridiculous!!! My retail installed on a 7'6" HTX straight blade with down pressure is $5,980.00 now consider that my costs are much higher getting them to AK. That dealer is sure not trying to sell a plow!

Heck for $6,680.00 I'd install a HTX V plow, if that tells you anything....

Originally Posted by tseekins
Back when Ford brought out the plow prep package on the 2011-2014 trucks, the plow was earmarked for the 5.0L or the 6.2L. Now it's only the 5.0L trucks. Anyway, every pic that I saw from a Ford advertising standpoint showed a truck with the BOSS plow set up. All electric, no fluids. Supposedly and perhaps Russ can better illustrate my point, BOSS seems to have a superior mounting system to the frame that may reduce the impact of plowing.
Tim, Boss like all other plows run off hydraulics powered by an electric motor. Boss does not use chain lift, but rather direct lift with the hydraulic cylinder.
Also the ONLY trucks recommended or approved by Ford for a plow for 2011-2014 was the 6.2, All others have EPS and it was not advised, but plenty have done it.
2015 was the first year for the "plow prep" on 5.0 trucks only and that continues on today.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:41 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
You could use one of these if you drive is relatively straight.

Nordic Auto Plow

Old 12-19-2017, 10:41 AM
JoeD.1153
New User
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
That is ridiculous!!! My retail installed on a 7'6" HTX straight blade with down pressure is $5,980.00 now consider that my costs are much higher getting them to AK. That dealer is sure not trying to sell a plow!
I agree, but Canadian dealers/suppliers have to buy them from the US in converted Canadian dollars, which as you probably know is in the toilet these days. That's probably a lot of it. I'd love an HTX but not at those prices. You're buying in $US, big difference.

Cheers,

-joe-

Old 12-19-2017, 10:55 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Originally Posted by JoeD.1153
I agree, but Canadian dealers/suppliers have to buy them from the US in converted Canadian dollars, which as you probably know is in the toilet these days. That's probably a lot of it. I'd love an HTX but not at those prices. You're buying in $US, big difference.

Cheers,

-joe-
Your location is not visible, so I was unaware you're in Canada. That would make a big difference. Best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

Quick Reply: Snow plowing with a f150