Spicer ball joint replacement eh...help me get motivated to start - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spicer ball joint replacement eh...help me get motivated to start

Old 12-16-2017, 07:56 AM
Elder User

SRBF150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SRBF150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Spicer ball joint replacement- Done! Kaput!

I keep an excel file to track details on maintenance providing value as time goes by and the memory of these things fades. Case in point, I installed new Spicer ball joints 12/27/14:

I've had the front end rattling symptom for about 5k miles and finally gave in to the idea that perhaps the ball joints were shot already. I jacked up the front axle and with a 2x4 and large prybar under the tire, confirmed the ball joints are worn out in under 30k miles factoring how long I've been hearing the rattle grow from an infant to a dumb teenager....

Did some reading on the best Ford truck site (FTE) and decided to buy some XRF ball joints based on the favorable reviews.

Next, I decided to buy the tools so that when I have the time, I can get right to it. Benefit is also they're not all cobbled up rental pieces and can assist friends.

And so there all these great tools and parts sit for a couple weeks while I embrace the idea the rattling under my feet isn't so bad.

It is partially the work but probably more the disappointment that the Spicer joints have failed so quickly and their warranty policy is for the birds (send in accused parts and let them decide if they will warranty them while the truck sits). All the work that goes into the truck is done with the intent of lasting and to date, nothing else has failed so miserably.

So, FTE members, what words of inspiration or shame do you have to share?
Old 12-16-2017, 09:34 AM
Elder User

afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.
Can you post a bigger pic of your spreadsheet? Kinda curious to see what you track on there. I need to do some kind of tracking and I may steal your template!
Old 12-16-2017, 09:41 AM
aka Redneck Wrencher

mueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputation
Get'r dun!!! Stop procrastinating!
Old 12-16-2017, 10:19 AM
Postmaster

Walleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to all
Sorry, I can't motivate myself, I doubt that I'll be able to motivate you.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:41 AM
Almost there

ExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant future
Pre-stage your garage.

Get the truck pulled in, the tools located and laid out, radio on.

Next trip, the radio will greet you when you turn on the lights

Jack it up, pull off wheels, coffee can to let the brake fluid drip (you're flushing the system when you do this, just keep the reservoir from getting too low )

Have your favorite style of disposable gloves handy and whatever lighting you need, etc.

I find getting everything lit up, staged, etc is the biggest drag anchor on motivation, but if you break it into pieces so that you can just walk in and get to work, it's a great boost/boot! LOL

Now let's see some pics!
Old 12-16-2017, 11:30 AM
Elder User

tjmike is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRBF150 View Post
So, FTE members, what words of inspiration or shame do you have to share?

Let's try fear and guilt :-). You have all the parts and tools you need. You know there's a problem. You have to ask yourself how long you can go before you're stuck on the side of the road forking over $$$ for a tow when all you really needed to do was to take care of it a little sooner.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:28 PM
New User

Snowy21 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Grab a 6-pack and your biggest impact and you can knock it out in an afternoon. Totally worth the time!
Old 12-16-2017, 02:26 PM
Posting Guru

bigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPACamper View Post
Pre-stage your garage.

If you have a garage, and one big enough to close the door with a Superduty in it. My garage has been a huge motivator after years and years of working outside.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:04 AM
Elder User

SRBF150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SRBF150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mueckster View Post
Get'r dun!!! Stop procrastinating!
Direct and to the point - reminds me of my Army days. I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
Sorry, I can't motivate myself, I doubt that I'll be able to motivate you.
So, not all that helpful, but honest. I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPACamper View Post
Pre-stage your garage.

Get the truck pulled in, the tools located and laid out, radio on.

Next trip, the radio will greet you when you turn on the lights

I find getting everything lit up, staged, etc is the biggest drag anchor on motivation, but if you break it into pieces so that you can just walk in and get to work, it's a great boost/boot! LOL
Break the big task into little achievable ones, that works. I like it!

I took the drink emoticon seriously and did a good bit of that with the neighbors last night. Woke up at 820am and am in no mood to start this project. That didn't work. I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmike View Post
Let's try fear and guilt :-). You have all the parts and tools you need. You know there's a problem. You have to ask yourself how long you can go before you're stuck on the side of the road forking over $$$ for a tow when all you really needed to do was to take care of it a little sooner.
Truth. I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy21 View Post
Grab a 6-pack and your biggest impact and you can knock it out in an afternoon. Totally worth the time!
Git R Dun! This works and I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
If you have a garage, and one big enough to close the door with a Superduty in it. My garage has been a huge motivator after years and years of working outside.
Yeah this is a thing. My truck fits in the garage just fine but I cant do this work in there with it as it's not wide enough on the passenger side, so I'll nose the truck to the garage door and do it that way- when I get around to it.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:23 PM
Papa Smurf

MoBill122 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Motivation... ?

I'm thinking of having a load of sheetrock deliver. Place it in garage where my truck normally is parked. Thinking that will motivate me to get the wallboard on the wall fast ! So I won't have to go out in the cold to get in truck!
Old 01-19-2018, 06:43 PM
Elder User

afonda is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
How about...

A nice juicy 24 oz ribeye steak...grilled to perfection... only when you're done of course... 🐂🍻
Old 01-19-2018, 06:53 PM
Elder User

Haha, fun ideas. We've been having some incredibly cold weeks and snow lately. enough for the ground to freeze under the parking area which is about 40' square and lift it 1/2" above plumb with the garage floor. Even the little bit of water in the flush valve of the 5th wheel toilet froze and broke it.... just changed it this evening.

Needless to say, the parts and tools are right where I left them and the front end is still rattling away on rough surfaces...

We're going on two camping trips next week covering about 1,500 miles of towing. At this point, I think I'll get to it when the weather warms up and I can have the garage doors open or put the truck on the parking pad.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:51 PM
Elder User

DogRidesInBack is starting off with a positive reputation.
After you get back from your camping trip, take your rig to a shop to get an estimate for them doing the work. Bet you have it up on jacks within a couple days of getting the estimate. I can feel the motivation coursing through your veins! Oh wait, that is tequila coursing through mine. Good night, all!
Old 01-20-2018, 08:21 PM
Elder User

afonda is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
:-))

Old 01-22-2018, 01:14 PM
Postmaster

brian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmike View Post
You have to ask yourself how long you can go before you're stuck on the side of the road forking over $$$ for a tow when all you really needed to do was to take care of it a little sooner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonda View Post
If you ain't motivated by now... you're just lazy or rich...
Had a front end issue that I "was going to get around to" several years back. By the time I did get in there most of the right front drivetrain was trashed and what would have been $400 grew to $1300 in parts by the time I dove in.