Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing an Engine-new 2018 F-150

Old 03-12-2018, 06:18 PM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Delta Echo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by sky Cowboy View Post
Those 350 chevy engines never made much of either hp or torque. I do not know what the specifications are, but a guess was maybe 200 hp and 200 lbs torque.
They had a 350 in a one-ton? Those usually had big blocks.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:37 PM
TJReams
Elder User
TJReams is a name known to allTJReams is a name known to allTJReams is a name known to allTJReams is a name known to allTJReams is a name known to allTJReams is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Delta Echo View Post
Actually, Yes one of my best friends had a 1986 reg cab dually with a 350 engine.

Sky Cowboy, my first truck was a 1947 1/2 ton Dodge pickup with a flathead straight six and a 3 speed manual. We would put 37 big bails of haygraser on it (frame setting on the axle) and drive it down the highway and stack it in a barn, for .08 per bail would haul up to10 miles.. It would run 72 MPH wide open on a flat road. The problem was getting it to start when it was foggy or raining or just real humid. luckly here in West Central Texas didn't happen real often. I bought my first car a 1961 Chevy Impala SS with 348 engine and a turboglide 2 speed trans.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:13 AM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader
sky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Delta Echo View Post
My father and I had a long truck discussion a few years ago when I lent my parents my pickup truck for a holiday they were going on for about 3 weeks. Dad confirmed that yes it was a 350 cubic inch V8 in our 1972 chevy. That old truck was reliable enough, just atrocious brakes and handling, and by todays standards very underpowered. But people back then did not seem to care about pulling hills at ludicrous speeds. The journey was part of the fun on a trip. My parents got to my place and their vehicle was in bad shape. I hooked up my travel trailer to my F150, and said take it, go enjoy a nice holiday. They came back roughly 3 weeks later, and were amazed at the way my pickup handled it all. Braking, handling, power, just everything about it. I worked on their truck some while they were away, got it running reasonably well, 1996 chevy 3500 this one was. I have since given them that F150, so they have a newer and much better vehicle. My Mom passed away since, but Dad absolutely loves the pickup I gave him.
He was a lifetime Chevy man, now a confirmed blue oval guy.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:16 AM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader
sky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by TJReams View Post
Actually, Yes one of my best friends had a 1986 reg cab dually with a 350 engine.

Sky Cowboy, my first truck was a 1947 1/2 ton Dodge pickup with a flathead straight six and a 3 speed manual. We would put 37 big bails of haygraser on it (frame setting on the axle) and drive it down the highway and stack it in a barn, for .08 per bail would haul up to10 miles.. It would run 72 MPH wide open on a flat road. The problem was getting it to start when it was foggy or raining or just real humid. luckly here in West Central Texas didn't happen real often. I bought my first car a 1961 Chevy Impala SS with 348 engine and a turboglide 2 speed trans.
Thanks for sharing this great story.
It is fun to hear about things before my time. In many ways I liked how things used to be. Being born in 1977 I am too young to have experienced a lot of the fun older things.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:33 AM
seventyseven250
Post Fiend
seventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant future
I learned to drive in a 1972 f250 with a slide in camper on the back. Yep, brakes were not anything close to modern trucks, and body roll was insane.

Current generation trucks are just so damned good at everything. Plus more reliable and fuel efficient too.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:03 PM
GlueGuy
Postmaster
GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.
Todays trucks also have brakes that nobody would have believed ever could exist when I was a kid. I was born in 1977 so am 40 now, so I grew up in the age of V8 engines and manual transmissions. I would love to be able to time travel a 2017 F150 back to 1977 and show people then how a F150 is three times more capable than their pickup trucks were.
I'm a bit older. I turned 16 in 1966, and I would love to time-travel back to then with my 2015 F-150. Wow, would that impress or what?

Old 03-13-2018, 03:10 PM
CR172
Elder User
CR172 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.CR172 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Speaking of old things, who here remembers when tires were sized as G78-14? And sorry Sky Cowboy being born in 1977 you basically missed the V8 and manual trans era. That's when V6's, auto's with OD and front wheel drive were being rolled out.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:22 PM
Lebowskii
Senior User
Lebowskii is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by CR172 View Post
Speaking of old things, who here remembers when tires were sized as G78-14? And sorry Sky Cowboy being born in 1977 you basically missed the V8 and manual trans era. That's when V6's, auto's with OD and front wheel drive were being rolled out.
I'm in the same age group as you and Glue Guy (I'll be 66 tomorrow). Those bias ply tires sucked compared to radials. Most TV sets were black and white and without a remote and most houses weren't air conditioned in the '60s either. No microwave ovens, no VCRs, etc. etc. Don't get me started. LOL....

Old 03-13-2018, 03:27 PM
CR172
Elder User
CR172 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.CR172 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Lebowskii View Post
I'm in the same age group as you and Glue Guy (I'll be 66 tomorrow). Those bias ply tires sucked compared to radials. Most TV sets were black and white and without a remote and most houses weren't air conditioned in the '60s either. No microwave ovens, no VCRs, etc. etc. Don't get me started. LOL....
Yeah! Wasn't it great? We still have no microwave, VCR, TV, etc. We heat our 2500sq ft house with a wood stove and the tubed stereo equipment LOL. Nice and simple.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:43 PM
biz4two
Post Fiend
biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.
Arrow

Based off the f150 that you'd be coming from, sounds like you'll be super happy with a 2.7L Eco. It's a remarkable engine...and the MPG's will put a smile on your face. LOL!!

Good luck with your choice!!

biz

Old 03-13-2018, 10:57 PM
TJReams
Elder User
TJReams is a name known to allTJReams is a name known to allTJReams is a name known to allTJReams is a name known to allTJReams is a name known to allTJReams is a name known to all
Thanks for sharing this great story.
It is fun to hear about things before my time. In many ways I liked how things used to be. Being born in 1977 I am too young to have experienced a lot of the fun older things.
Well a little more about that old pickup, it had vaccum operated winsheild wipers that hung down the "motor" was in the cab and had a little lever on the back. If youwere lucky enough to get it started in the rain or it started raining after you were going some where. When you accelrated or started going up a hill youwould lose vaccum and had to work the wipers with that lever. It only had an old box heater that sort of worked. of course no AC or radio. Wish I still had it, I made lots of memories in that old truck. I sold it and a 65 Corvair convertable and gave the money to my mother so she could get a new car.
Here is a list of just the Fords I have owned. I have a list of other vehicles someplace.

2018 F150 Screw ordered! 2015 F150 Lariat FX4 Blue Flame 3.5 Eco Screw & 16 Escape Titainium -previous trks, 12 XLT Screw, Eco 4X4, 08 Sport Trac Adrenalin 4.6, 07 F150 Screw 5.4 - 05 F150 Scab 5.4 - 2000 F150 Scab 4.2 - 98 Ranger Scab 3.0 - 87 Ranger 2.0- 85 F150 Scab 351HO - 78 F250 300- 71 Ranchero 302- 68 F100 302 -65 F100 V8. Cars -13 Taurus, 6 Mustangs, 67-04, 2 LTD's, 74 & 78, 78 pinto V6 wagon1 T-Bird 65.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:27 PM
TJReams
Elder User
OK, I found the other list of non Ford vehicles I have owned.
1947 Dodge Pickup - first truck
1961 Chevy Impala SS - first car
1954 Metropolitan
1965 Corvair Conv.
1965 Delta 88
1988 Buick Station Wagon
1998 Buick
I had a 1967 Vette for 2 weeks, I was given an option of selling it or going to jail, I was 18 crazy, but not stupid.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:12 AM
AeroCare
Senior User
AeroCare is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by biz4two View Post
Based off the f150 that you'd be coming from, sounds like you'll be super happy with a 2.7L Eco. It's a remarkable engine...and the MPG's will put a smile on your face. LOL!! Good luck with your choice!!biz
Yep, the 2.7 gives great MPGs. Take a look at the pictures I posted in this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ed-f150-4.html

Old 03-14-2018, 09:59 AM
GlueGuy
Postmaster
GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Lebowskii View Post
Oh the memories! I lived in Minnesota back in that time frame, and my first car (an Olds 442) had those bias ply tires. The plies were nylon, and they took a "set" in the low temperatures that are common in Minnesota in January. We had a fairly long driveway that I had to back out of, and each tire would "thump" as the flat spot came around. As the tires got out of sync, they would thumpity-thump-thump in changing cadence, and continue as I went out on the highway for the first mile or two. Cheap entertainment!

Old 03-17-2018, 03:13 AM
DevilDog556
Senior User
DevilDog556 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I drive a 40 ton fuel tanker for work. 12.8L Straight six Turbo, 10-speed manual trans and 1500-1600lb/ft and 455HP. Talk about slooooooow. I personally feel that a 3.3L or any of the motors is adequate for this platform unless you are like my wife and trading in a Mustang GT. She went with the 5.0 and boy is it pleasing to the ears (and runs like a damn scalded dog.). I'll be in the market for a 4x4 myself in a year. Going back and forth between the 3.3 and 5.0.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Choosing an Engine-new 2018 F-150

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: