Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Choosing an Engine-new 2018 F-150

Old 03-07-2018, 09:34 PM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lebowskii
As usual I'm the only one promoting the 3.3. I rented a Bobcat today and with the trailer it weighed 5-6k pounds and it pulled it with ease. I had a 2012 with the Eco and both turbos went out at 160k miles. You won't have that problem with the 3.3....

On flat ground at lower elevation, sure, it's going to pull 6k no problem. It's when you get big hills and higher elevation that it becomes inadequate for some applications.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:17 PM
AeroCare
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Delta Echo
You live in a large city, so of course that's how you see people use them. But most pickup truck owners don't live in the city, so the "mall crawlers" that you see don't represent most half-ton trucks. I live in the country, and nearly everyone here owns a pickup. It's nothing like what you see in the big city.
I agree. I live in the country and every one of my neighbors owns a truck. I owned a car and a truck. I recently sold the car and bought the new truck. Every time I was in the car I'd remember I needed something from the big town I drive to once a week and If I had been in the truck I could have bought it. Instead now I have to return in the truck to get it.

Now it doesn't matter in which truck I'm in if I find something I need for the farm or the rental units or the airport, I'm in one of the trucks and can buy it right there without wasting time.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:25 AM
JKBrad
Received 799 Likes on 585 Posts
It’s surprising how many 1/2 ton trucks you see around here being worked or even overworked. Also, around here I would say just as many 8 lug trucks are driven for image as 1/2 tons.

Serious farmers and ranchers are moving to F450/550 trucks (and Ram equivalents) with aftermarket flat beds or hauler beds. I’ve even seen more than a few new F350 King Ranch trucks with the pickup bed removed and a flatbed put on.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:10 AM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
The next step will probably be CVT.
I hope not. They h avent held up from what I've seen. Not a fan of CVT.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:16 AM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroCare
I agree. I live in the country and every one of my neighbors owns a truck. I owned a car and a truck. I recently sold the car and bought the new truck. Every time I was in the car I'd remember I needed something from the big town I drive to once a week and If I had been in the truck I could have bought it. Instead now I have to return in the truck to get it.

Now it doesn't matter in which truck I'm in if I find something I need for the farm or the rental units or the airport, I'm in one of the trucks and can buy it right there without wasting time.
I have friends that live in town, (I live out in the country) just about everybody I know has at least one pick up. And 98% of them get used. I don't haul much in the bed, but I tow with mine

Old 03-08-2018, 12:22 PM
Lebowskii
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
On flat ground at lower elevation, sure, it's going to pull 6k no problem. It's when you get big hills and higher elevation that it becomes inadequate for some applications.
That makes sense but since there are no mountains around here and we're basically at sea level the 3.3 does just fine. Also, I'm retired and have only put 1300 miles on it in 4 months so I obviously don't drive it much....

Old 03-08-2018, 12:27 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 434 Likes on 319 Posts
I'm one of those guys who mostly doesn't need a truck. Eight months of the year I'm driving a little economic, with at most one kid in it with me, or my laptop for work. But summers we do take family trips with four people in the truck and a 7500lb trailer hitched to it. I've done this type of program with lots of different trucks, and so far my favourite was the Ecoboost. It got great economy unloaded and had amazing effortless power when towing.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:18 PM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Originally Posted by brokenleg
I hope not. They h avent held up from what I've seen. Not a fan of CVT.
They will get better with time, just like anything else. And there are already numerous CVT designs out there. They even have them in large trucks and heavy equipment now, so a pickup is certainly feasible.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:14 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
It'll be interesting when that happens (a CVT in a truck). At that point, they will probably be in everything. Infinite speeds; intoxicating.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:07 AM
tthamel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the most reliable Ford engines of all time is the 6.8L v10.

i spun a bearing last week at 218K in it.
**** happens. Bought an F150 3.5EB

ive owned 4 turbo charged cars the last 10 years racking up over half a million total miles. not a single turbo issue.
synthetic oil, 5k change MAX, let the turbines cool down on a hot day. done

Old 03-12-2018, 10:58 AM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
That makes sense but since there are no mountains around here and we're basically at sea level the 3.3 does just fine. Also, I'm retired and have only put 1300 miles on it in 4 months so I obviously don't drive it much....
When I was a kid my parents had a 1 ton chevy camper special. It had a v8 that made far less power than this v6 does now. The truck was not fast, but it hauled us and towed the trailer just fine.
Does it really matter if you slow down a bit on a steep climb? Even towing a heavy fuel trailer for work, they do just fine. Yes on a steep hill the harder pulling engines could climb it at 90 km hr instead of 70 km hr. But who cares really, because in a km or two the hill is behind you and your back to the max posted speed and that other pickup is not very far in front of you.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:55 PM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Originally Posted by sky Cowboy
When I was a kid my parents had a 1 ton chevy camper special. It had a v8 that made far less power than this v6 does now. The truck was not fast, but it hauled us and towed the trailer just fine.
Does it really matter if you slow down a bit on a steep climb? Even towing a heavy fuel trailer for work, they do just fine. Yes on a steep hill the harder pulling engines could climb it at 90 km hr instead of 70 km hr. But who cares really, because in a km or two the hill is behind you and your back to the max posted speed and that other pickup is not very far in front of you.
Are you talking about horsepower or torque? The old big blocks had good torque at low RPM, but made less peak horsepower than smaller engines today. And they drank gas like there was a hole in the fuel tank.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:39 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Are you talking about horsepower or torque? The old big blocks had good torque at low RPM, but made less peak horsepower than smaller engines today. And they drank gas like there was a hole in the fuel tank.
Those 350 chevy engines never made much of either hp or torque. I do not know what the specifications are, but a guess was maybe 200 hp and 200 lbs torque.
Also not sure what this new ford v6 makes, but it feels like it pulls a heck of a lot harder than the old V8 engines did used in even the 1 ton pickups.
Hell people towed with cars a lot where I grew up. Before my parents bought their 72 chevy pickup, they towed the trailer with a Pontiac car.
Todays trucks also have brakes that nobody would have believed ever could exist when I was a kid. I was born in 1977 so am 40 now, so I grew up in the age of V8 engines and manual transmissions. I would love to be able to time travel a 2017 F150 back to 1977 and show people then how a F150 is three times more capable than their pickup trucks were.
Seems now everyone wants to be able to tow 9000 lbs up a 2 km long hill that is 10 percent grade, and do it at 130 kms hr while passing muscle cars. Anything less and the truck doesn't make enough power.
I just use the more practical approach, and do not panic if I cannot pass everyone on the way up the hill. So I spent 40 seconds longer climbing the hill, who cares wow!

Old 03-12-2018, 04:24 PM
Lebowskii
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by sky Cowboy
not sure what this new ford v6 makes, but it feels like it pulls a heck of a lot harder than the old V8 engines did used in even the 1 ton pickups.
It has 290 hp and 265 lb. ft. of torque....

Old 03-12-2018, 04:35 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

It has 290 hp and 265 lb. ft. of torque....
Thank you for the info.
I really had no idea what their ratings are.
Could not tell you the ratings of most cars or trucks. My personal Dodge pickup truck has plenty of power, as do the company Ford and Dodge trucks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Choosing an Engine-new 2018 F-150