Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 04 v10 Ex owner

 
  #1  
Old 12-14-2017, 08:17 PM
ShelbyHauler's Avatar
ShelbyHauler
ShelbyHauler is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 309
ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.
New 04 v10 Ex owner

Picked it up today, An Eddie Bauer with 134k miles for $10,500.00 not including title and taxes. I was looking at one in NC but as I would have to fly from Miami to look at it and take a chance it was as described, I opted to take the one 35 miles from home. The exterior is nice, original panels and paint. Middle lower valance (below bumper) is pushed in and seems PO had an incident backing up and damaged (baseball size) the passenger rear corner including bumper. Inside shows a bit of wear, drivers seat arm rest needs a panel replaced, hole in the carpet on the passenger side next to console. PO seems to have transported dogs as the back area has hairs embedded in the carpet on the base of the seats. The engine is extremely clean, new alternator and radiator hoses have been installed. Starts right up, no extra noises like the cam phasers on my 04 Navigator, no pinging or other noises. The engine runs smooth, lots of low end acceleration. As others have mentioned and a bit like my 04 Navigator, the converter does do a bit of "hunting?", unlocking and then re-locking with a slight press of the accelerator while cruising. I understand the 5startuning programming will help with that.

On the overhead console, I seem to be missing the remote control door (broken off). I am also missing the left rear hatch door handle and actuating rod. I have searched eBay and RockAuto but no luck finding the parts. If someone knows a site they can point me to, I'd be much appreciated. I do not want to violate policy here so if anyone has these items they want to sell, please PM me.

Note that these photos are from the Craigslist ad, this is not my home and the other cars in the photos are not mine.
 
Attached Images        

Last edited by ShelbyHauler; 12-14-2017 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Seller provided photos
  #2  
Old 12-14-2017, 08:20 PM
ShelbyHauler's Avatar
ShelbyHauler
ShelbyHauler is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 309
ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.
Addendum: Like my 04 Navigator, the Auto Headlamp switch has the option to pull out a notch and turn on the driving lamps. I can do this and the correct indicator lights up. Problem is, as you can see in the photo, I do not have driving lamps. With the switch, should I have the driving lamps?
 
  #3  
Old 12-14-2017, 08:50 PM
thor363
thor363 is offline
Elder User
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Westmoreland, TN
Posts: 692
thor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to all
Run the build sheet and see if it had factory fogs, it likely did unless someone swapped out the switch. The wires would still be tucked in running along the front bumper lower fascia perhaps. ...and of course I'm a vulture, I keep looking for a set of 2nd row captain seats to swap for my bench (same color interior). I'm jealous.

On second glance, someone has definitely been behind that front bumper. Likely had fogs before they screwed up the deflector that you see is up and out of place. Drop the bumper and see what you have there. It's only 6 bolts to remove it.
 
  #4  
Old 12-14-2017, 09:02 PM
ShelbyHauler's Avatar
ShelbyHauler
ShelbyHauler is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 309
ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by thor363 View Post
Run the build sheet and see if it had factory fogs, it likely did unless someone swapped out the switch. The wires would still be tucked in running along the front bumper lower fascia perhaps. ...and of course I'm a vulture, I keep looking for a set of 2nd row captain seats to swap for my bench (same color interior). I'm jealous.

On second glance, someone has definitely been behind that front bumper. Likely had fogs before they screwed up the deflector that you see is up and out of place. Drop the bumper and see what you have there. It's only 6 bolts to remove it.
Tennessee huh? I'll have to think about the 2nd row swap. I'm used to the bench in my Navigator, but then, I don't usually sit back there.

I was planning on pulling the parts off the front to straighten things out. Was not sure if all the EB's had the lights or not. I'll dig more into it tomorrow, and take more photos. There are a few wires in the engine bay I'd like to see if anyone can identify. Photos tomorrow.
 
  #5  
Old 12-15-2017, 06:58 AM
sddesigns's Avatar
sddesigns
sddesigns is offline
Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wharton, NJ
Posts: 110,241
sddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputation
Congrats on a nice find and welcome!
 
  #6  
Old 12-15-2017, 08:13 AM
96firephoenix
96firephoenix is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Greensburg, IN
Posts: 505
96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.
The fog lamps are mounted on that damaged part... you called it the lower valence, but it looks like the under-ride bar is damaged behind that valence panel

RockAuto has the handle, but not the connecting rod, it looks like: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...427734&jsn=471

You might poke a flashlight in there to see if the rod isn't inside the door, loose.
 
  #7  
Old 12-15-2017, 09:07 AM
thor363
thor363 is offline
Elder User
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Westmoreland, TN
Posts: 692
thor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to all
A picture is worth a thousand words. If anywhere near Nashville we're an hour NNE of there if you need a hand. Before and after pics while I was in there cleaning up the minor rust and installing my 6.o_O trans cooler.
 
Attached Images    
  #8  
Old 12-15-2017, 09:15 AM
thor363
thor363 is offline
Elder User
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Westmoreland, TN
Posts: 692
thor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to all
If you're replacing the left barn door handle and cable, see Nicmike.

While you're in there you may consider failure-proofing the cable like this attached pic. The ends require drilling out a bit usually, and it's easiest to gently heat the cable end and silicone spray the aluminum insert a bit then assemble.

Since you'll have to pop off that left barn door panel with a trim tool, may as well be prepared and grab the panel fasteners ahead of time too. I hadn't thought that far ahead when I did mine but glad I did them.
 
Attached Images   
  #9  
Old 12-15-2017, 10:03 AM
ShelbyHauler's Avatar
ShelbyHauler
ShelbyHauler is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 309
ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post
The fog lamps are mounted on that damaged part... you called it the lower valence, but it looks like the under-ride bar is damaged behind that valence panel

RockAuto has the handle, but not the connecting rod, it looks like: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...427734&jsn=471

You might poke a flashlight in there to see if the rod isn't inside the door, loose.
Looked under the front bumper and see two broken tabs on each side. So, there WERE there.

The handle you listed is for the right side. Are they interchangeable?

Thanks.
 
  #10  
Old 12-15-2017, 10:09 AM
ShelbyHauler's Avatar
ShelbyHauler
ShelbyHauler is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 309
ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by thor363 View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words. If anywhere near Nashville we're an hour NNE of there if you need a hand. Before and after pics while I was in there cleaning up the minor rust and installing my 6.o_O trans cooler.
I'm down in Miami. Found some paperwork in the owners manual and found the Ex came from Orlando.

Your photos look like what I am going to do today. As for the left barn door, no handle, no cable. I searched while I was trying to figure out how to open it via the missing handle. Push down on the small tab. Maybe I should buy that right side handle and make a lever that will push a rod down?

Yes, I have a Mig welder amongst my other tools. :-)
 
  #11  
Old 12-15-2017, 10:12 AM
thor363
thor363 is offline
Elder User
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Westmoreland, TN
Posts: 692
thor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to all
PM Nicmike, he's going to the Gold mine shortly and can probably find you one. In case you can't PM, I'll PM him and give him this thread. He's been reliable in finding me anything I needed. Lots of good people here that can help.
 
  #12  
Old 12-15-2017, 10:21 AM
ShelbyHauler's Avatar
ShelbyHauler
ShelbyHauler is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 309
ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.
Couple of quick questions, maybe I can get some quick answers?

As I plan on using this to haul a 24' enclosed car trailer all over... Hood bug/rock/wind deflector. Any good? short vs tall and narrow vs wide(over the headlights)?

Transmission shift kits. I know the 5startuning maybe in my future, but has anyone done one of the shift kits (https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ement+kit,8532) and if so, have they been helpful? I had to put a add-on trans cooler and deep trans pan on my Navigator. I'm going to transfer the deep trans pan to the EX.

Thanks.
 
  #13  
Old 12-15-2017, 10:22 AM
ShelbyHauler's Avatar
ShelbyHauler
ShelbyHauler is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 309
ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by thor363 View Post
PM Nicmike, he's going to the Gold mine shortly and can probably find you one. In case you can't PM, I'll PM him and give him this thread. He's been reliable in finding me anything I needed. Lots of good people here that can help.
I went to my profile, PM's but do not see a way to send one. Either I'm not looking hard enough or I'm too new.

Thanks
 
  #14  
Old 12-15-2017, 10:30 AM
unleashd's Avatar
unleashd
unleashd is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Oakhill, VA
Posts: 1,140
unleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ShelbyHauler View Post
I went to my profile, PM's but do not see a way to send one. Either I'm not looking hard enough or I'm too new.

Thanks
You just need a few more posts on the forum before you get the ability to send PMs.

Anyways, welcome to the FTE forum. Nice find on the EX!!
 
  #15  
Old 12-15-2017, 10:38 AM
thor363
thor363 is offline
Elder User
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Westmoreland, TN
Posts: 692
thor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to allthor363 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ShelbyHauler View Post
Couple of quick questions, maybe I can get some quick answers?

As I plan on using this to haul a 24' enclosed car trailer all over... Hood bug/rock/wind deflector. Any good? short vs tall and narrow vs wide(over the headlights)?

Transmission shift kits. I know the 5startuning maybe in my future, but has anyone done one of the shift kits (https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ement+kit,8532) and if so, have they been helpful? I had to put a add-on trans cooler and deep trans pan on my Navigator. I'm going to transfer the deep trans pan to the EX.

Thanks.
I use 5star tuning and the SPD y-pipe combo. Worth every penny if you're keeping the v10.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 04 v10 Ex owner


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.