Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 04 v10 Ex owner

Old 12-16-2017, 08:54 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Received 491 Likes on 146 Posts
Found out tonight that the CD player in the dash does not work. The door never opens and I get a "CD ERROR" message.

The overhead DVD player works. It just won't eject the DVD that's in it. The PO must have had kids, as the movie is the "Sponge Bob Square Pants Movie". Looks like 4 screwa will take it down. How do you get the console in front down? Is it on clips that it will snap out of?

Old 12-17-2017, 06:50 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice X !!

As to the front bumper, you can buy one on CL for an x, f250, f350, all the same for that year. $100 or so should get it done. You being in S FL, even easier.

There's a guy around the 826 that does 15 front end conversions, he has plenty of parts that he takes off.

I just gave mine away locally when I did the 07 front.

Brand new fogs on ebay $80 for the pair.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:56 AM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Oldguyfl
Nice X !!

As to the front bumper, you can buy one on CL for an x, f250, f350, all the same for that year. $100 or so should get it done. You being in S FL, even easier.

There's a guy around the 826 that does 15 front end conversions, he has plenty of parts that he takes off.

I just gave mine away locally when I did the 07 front.

Brand new fogs on ebay $80 for the pair.
Thanks for the compliment. A new bumper would have been nice. I used a winch on the Navi and pulled the dented lower part of the EX bumper out. I then used different hammers to get some of the dents out and crescent wrenches to bend the edges back into shape. It's not perfect, and the plastic cover will hide most of the remaining issues. I'm only going to paint the damaged areas. If I did the entire bumper I think a new looking bumper would be out of place on this EX.

Sanded down where it hit the fender

Had some close matching paint and clear

I'm taking care of that scratch next.

I found new driving/fogs on Rock Auto for $24 each.

And the black valance for $18.

There was no other real damage so when it's put back together it should look nice.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:02 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
So, in the photos and in person at the time I took the photos the repair job on the front fender looked pretty good. This morning with the sun shining on it I can see the color does not match very well, and the PO had repainted the front bumper with a bit metal flake paint. My paint almost looks like it has none next to that. So, once the driving lights come in, I'm going to take it off and this time prep and paint the entire thing. Sure it would not be that easy!

Old 12-18-2017, 07:28 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ShelbyHauler
Found out tonight that the CD player in the dash does not work. The door never opens and I get a "CD ERROR" message.

The overhead DVD player works. It just won't eject the DVD that's in it. The PO must have had kids, as the movie is the "Sponge Bob Square Pants Movie". Looks like 4 screwa will take it down. How do you get the console in front down? Is it on clips that it will snap out of?
There are screws holding the overhead console up too, in addition to clips. One I know is in one of the compartments- sunglasses or garage door opener, and then I think another is inside the light.

I do know the mounting bracket for the overhead console and DVD player is one big bracket, above the headliner.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:05 AM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
There are screws holding the overhead console up too, in addition to clips. One I know is in one of the compartments- sunglasses or garage door opener, and then I think another is inside the light.

I do know the mounting bracket for the overhead console and DVD player is one big bracket, above the headliner.
I've seen the DVD player off, and see 4 screws once I flip down the screen. I've looked in the sunglass and remote areas but did not see any screws. Maybe I need a flashlight, something I'm missing.

Thanks

Old 12-18-2017, 10:18 AM
96firephoenix
Laughing Gas
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Any idea what these three wires are that are taped back at the firewall harness?
No idea, but they've been there on every used V10 excursion I've gone to look at, regardless of trim.. Maybe the factory brake controller? I know it had a tap on the master cylinder, so maybe that's where the brain box goes. I haven't seen any diesel excursions yet, so it might be a diesel-related component.
I'll pull the right side off and see if it fits on the left. I see how the cable is supposed to work, so maybe I can make something as I do not see a left handle or cable anyplace.
I looked at one over the weekend, and if the handles aren't the same on each side, I'll be a monkey's uncle. They sure as heck look identical.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:44 AM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix
No idea, but they've been there on every used V10 excursion I've gone to look at, regardless of trim.. Maybe the factory brake controller? I know it had a tap on the master cylinder, so maybe that's where the brain box goes. I haven't seen any diesel excursions yet, so it might be a diesel-related component.

I looked at one over the weekend, and if the handles aren't the same on each side, I'll be a monkey's uncle. They sure as heck look identical.
Turns out the barn door handles are riveted on, so I was not going to be able to simply swap it to see if it fits. I'm guessing my left door had a cable failure, so they drilled the rivets and removed the handle and cable in my case, never putting anything back on. I have ordered a right handle from RockAuto. I'm sure I'll find a way to make it work on the left.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
I've seen the DVD player off, and see 4 screws once I flip down the screen. I've looked in the sunglass and remote areas but did not see any screws. Maybe I need a flashlight, something I'm missing.

Thanks
Yeah, I'm pretty sure there's one up there, I think in the front compartment door. I think it's a small black screw in the middle, set inside a recessed area for the screw. I checked my '02 teardown pictures and didn't see anything of that up close. I might have more on my computer for when I sold the parts, I'd have to check. I had a couple friends over that day and they took those two parts out, so my memory after six years isn't helping me too much.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:41 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
Yeah, I'm pretty sure there's one up there, I think in the front compartment door. I think it's a small black screw in the middle, set inside a recessed area for the screw. I checked my '02 teardown pictures and didn't see anything of that up close. I might have more on my computer for when I sold the parts, I'd have to check. I had a couple friends over that day and they took those two parts out, so my memory after six years isn't helping me too much.
Got the DVD player down. 4 screws, two mounting points on the player housing at the back are cracking/broken causing the rear to sag. Got the overhead console down. There should have been a screw in the sunglasses holder, but it was not there. So, remove the screw if you have it, pull down on the back and it will drop about 2 inches. There is a single center clip and two holders that will keep it from dropping down. Pull the front down off its single two center clips. Lift the rear of the console slightly and move forward. The console will drop down with enough room to disconnect all the connectors.

Last edited by ShelbyHauler; 12-18-2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Linked image to full size version
Old 12-18-2017, 04:12 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Ok, with the console out, I am checking on the Compass and Fule computer. It is dark, no display with the key on. I found a youtube video that talks about some resistors that have bad solder joints. So, remove 3 torx 10 screws to remove the computer from the console

Carefully open the 4 spring clips on the case

Remove the circuit board from the case

Looking at the resistors, everything looks fine. To probe them with a toothpick, I install the console and circuit board and attach the component cable and its working! I put the black case on it and it's not working again. The only thing I can figure is the display is being moved by the case so I ben it out and back a little so it touches the rubber bumper behind it, and put it back in the case. Its staying on this time. So I put all the screws back in and install the console. Its working again, for now.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:41 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Hey, can't beat a free repair! Hopefully it stays working for you.

Avoid all big bumps!

Old 12-19-2017, 07:58 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Installed a Dashcam/Backup cam today. Picked up a unit with a 4" screen that goes on the windshield and has a rear camera that has a cable long enough to fish it above the headliner to the back. I ran the camera cable into the upper rear hatch and out a grommet under the 3rd brake light. The ugly square camera is just below the 3rd light and lets me see from 2' out to around 25 yards behind the EX. A pair of wires goes to the backup lamps so when you go into reverse the 4" screen changes from a picture in picture to rear view only. I have not driven with it yet so no idea the quality. I've had several so I know unless you get behind someone at a stoplight, you're not going to be able to read their plates.

Amazon Amazon

Old 12-20-2017, 07:16 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
I was washing the car and noted that the rear wiper blade needed to be replaced. I did so and wanted to see how well the new blade worked, but I was unable to figure out how to activate it. I finally broke out the owners guide and it shows a multifunction leaver like this:

But the one on my steering column looks like this!

Guess sometime ago the PO had to replace it and the wrong one was installed?

note, stock images used to illustrate the difference.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:14 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
That's really interesting. I'm surprised it would take the same plugs to allow it to swap in. Must be just an extra pin or two is missing on the switch you have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 04 v10 Ex owner