1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Firewall Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 12:33 PM
pezsox
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firewall Solenoid

I am switching over from 6v to 12v. I need to get a new solenoid and was hoping for recommendations. Curiously everything I have found has been a four post, but the battery and starter would be on the wrong side so the wires would have to cross. Does anyone have a brand or part number they would recommend?

Old 12-14-2017, 01:43 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Echlin st82 (I think)

I bet the 6 volt solenoid would work fine though.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:18 PM
pezsox
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My old solenoid is toast, so I figure I would just get a new 12v

Old 12-14-2017, 03:33 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
You can't mount a solenoid on a firewall, however you can mount a relay on a firewall. A solenoid mounts on the starter motor.

Sincerely,

The nomenclature police.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:43 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Use this type if you are going to keep the stock starter button. The #3 terminal can be either positive or negative, depending on your system. #1 terminal obviously goes to the starter.

Cole-Hersee #24046

Old 12-14-2017, 04:11 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
!? A solenoid is a specific type of relay, it is an electomagnetic switch, right? Starter relay, solenoid, it's all good. We use a small voltage to control a larger voltage/current. That way double ought cables don't need to be run all the way to the starter switch in the cab.

"The terms solenoid and relay can often be used interchangeably; however, in the Automotive market, the term solenoid generally refers to a "metal can" type, whereas a relay typically refers to the standard "cube" style relay."

http://info.waytekwire.com/blog/rela...s-a-comparison

Best Regards,
The Resistance

What does NumberDummy say?

Old 12-14-2017, 06:45 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Tedster9
!? A solenoid is a specific type of relay, it is an electomagnetic switch, right?
Correct. It provides for linear actuation through what is called a "motor" or iron core (some call it a slug) to engage a Bendix drive into a flywheel, or operate a door or trunk lid. A starter relay does not do this, it is simply a switch.

Starter relay, solenoid, it's all good. We use a small voltage to control a larger voltage/current. That way double ought cables don't need to be run all the way to the starter switch in the cab.

"The terms solenoid and relay can often be used interchangeably; however, in the Automotive market, the term solenoid generally refers to a "metal can" type, whereas a relay typically refers to the standard "cube" style relay."
Relays vs. Solenoids vs. Contactors: A Comparison

I consider Waytekwire a non-credible source for electrical information.
Here is a better understanding.
http://startersolenoid.net/3-differences-between-starter-solenoid-switch-starter-relay/

Best Regards,
The Resistance

What does NumberDummy say?

Old 12-14-2017, 07:01 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
"I consider Waytekwire a non-credible source for electrical information."

LOL!

Well I've noticed that you say that about anything that disagrees with your solenoid vs relay assertions, seems be most of them. Please keep in mind this is all in good fun, I noticed you have deeply held opinion on this, so I make an effort to get you spooled up whenever practicable.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:20 PM
hooler1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Mixer man
Use this type if you are going to keep the stock starter button. The #3 terminal can be either positive or negative, depending on your system. #1 terminal obviously goes to the starter.

Cole-Hersee #24046

Is the above schematic right? It looks to me once the solenoid or relay is connected to the battery at terminal #3 it would be energized thus pulling in the contacts all the time. That's assuming the battery - cable is hooked up and the solenoid/relay is mounted on the fire wall. I think there should be a 4th connection separating the coil from the + side of the battery and that connection hooks up to the starter button, then the other side of the starter button connects to terminal #3. Or am I looking at it the wrong way? Where as contact #2 is supposed to run to a start button, which would then complete the ground when it's pressed and pull in the coil?

Old 12-14-2017, 07:25 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Tedster9
"I consider Waytekwire a non-credible source for electrical information."

LOL!

Well I've noticed that you say that about anything that disagrees with your solenoid vs relay assertions, seems be most of them. Please keep in mind this is all in good fun, I noticed you have deeply held opinion on this, so I make an effort to get you spooled up whenever practicable.
Yeah, this is something I'm working on overcoming. I'm a Chief Engineer and am used to working with voltages all the way up to and including the medium voltage range (600V-69k) where there is no margin for error, so please humor me while I try to get over this.
And I still wouldn't rely on Waytekwire.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:26 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
@ Hooler1: Yes to your last statement. With this particular device (Cole-Hersee #24046) contact #2 goes to the starter button that completes the circuit to ground.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:31 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by hooler1
Where as contact #2 is supposed to run to a start button, which would then complete the ground when it's pressed and pull in the coil?
That is correct. And when the start button is released the circuit opens and the coil is de-energized.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:09 PM
hooler1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts
Thanks Mixer Man and Effie Trucker! I appreciate your replies. The ground connection confused me. I thought it was grounded right at the solenoid like the newer ones used on the mid 60's thru some of the 80's Fords. But now with your help, I see the whole picture. Best regards!

Old 12-14-2017, 08:23 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
It should be noted that that is also how the OEM Ford relay is configured.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:34 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Mixer man
Yeah, this is something I'm working on overcoming.
It's taking longer than we thought!

... am used to working with voltages all the way up to and including the medium voltage range (600V-69k) where there is no margin for error ...
Then you should realize these distinctions are somewhat arbitrary - there is no practical difference between a contactor or relay or solenoid as a term of use other than a loose convention - and in any case the meaning of words can certainly change. I don't believe it will kill you, take a deep breath... LOL

Quick Reply: Firewall Solenoid