Bad Bearing type noise - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Bad Bearing type noise

Old 12-23-2017, 11:43 AM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rudiak View Post
Not a bad job. Access on top, bottom, and passenger side wheel well by removing liner.
Ok. Before I dive in I would like to confirm that a bad tensioner is actually what I'm hearing. What do the experts say?

Old 12-23-2017, 03:26 PM
slowmans
Postmaster
slowmans has a good reputation on FTE.slowmans has a good reputation on FTE.
almost sounds like rockers.....

Old 12-23-2017, 03:30 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by slowmans View Post
almost sounds like rockers.....
Please tell me something I don't know. How would rockers be random like that?

Old 12-23-2017, 04:12 PM
Rudiak
Senior User
Rudiak is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hard to tell with the engine noise until it gets worse. I could hear mine going bad from 20 feet away with the hood closed and it wasn't even that bad yet. It gave me plenty of warning. You can sometimes tell if it's starting to fail by a visual inspection. Do a search for 6.4 tensioner failure and find some images. They usually start to **** to one side and the gap will be uneven.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:56 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Yeah, it's a rumbling that kinda comes and goes. It's very pronounced when you're standing up close. But thanks for the tip on visual inspection, I'll do that.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:21 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Ok, going after the coolant pump, but I need to know the wrench size for the electric fan hub nut. Is it 47 or 48mm, and is it the same size as used on the 6.0 engines? I see wrench kits advertised for the 6.0 everywhere but none for the 6.4.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:35 AM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406 View Post
I ordered a 6.0 set for my truck.
Please let me know if it works, because none of the rental tools I tried were the correct size. Finally ended up modifying a Cummins fan wrench and it worked great with a Phillips screwdriver in the pulley.
So I went in and replaced the A/C compressor belt and tensioner, both idlers, main drive belt and tensioner, and water pump. Neither both old idlers and tensioners, water pump, and A/C compressor appeared to have bad bearings, and the front engine cover showed no signs of cavitation - looked new inside, as did the old water pump. Haven't started it up yet, but I'm skeptical that the "bearing noise" will still be there. I really don't want to go in there again because I didn't install any zippers or quick connects.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:48 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Update: The F'n random grumbling noise is still there and now accompanied by an occasional loud metallic "chirp". Now I'm worried. What do bad rod bearings sound like on this engine?

Old 12-31-2017, 08:10 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
As far as looking at the tool, it looks like it should work fine. I haven’t had to dig that deep since I did all my work. But it will come in handy next time.

Sorry about the noise. YouTube would be your friend trying to see if you can get the same noise.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:28 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Been to You Tube already. Scored zero. I would test fit your new wrench just to be sure.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:11 PM
Picton
Senior User
Picton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hope this gets resolved. Sounds like a bear.