1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New Truck intro and a Teach Your Daughters Well

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 01:03 PM
jcslocum
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
New Truck intro and a Teach Your Daughters Well

My daughter, the child that is a motor head like dad wants a new project, so she goes out and finds a 1953 F100 to build. We drag it home with rust and a mostly stuck motor.

Name:  scsx1zT.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  1.00 MB

Name:  GemoJgZ.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  1.29 MB

He's not pretty but he's now hers. His name is now Winslow.

We spend some time trying to unstick the engine, but overall we are not successful and end up pulling it out.

Name:  KEx5rly.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  1.08 MB

Easy to do with most of the front clip off.

Allie begins the teardown and what we find inside is fugly. 1" of sludge like clay in the pan. amazing really!!

Name:  mvCEK7z.jpg
Size:  863.0 KB

Name:  4ol07gv.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  1.50 MB

Name:  a28mwl2.jpg
Size:  822.0 KB

Rod bearings are worn right thru to the copper. But only on the top half, bottom is worn but not this bad. Typical for an old tired motor, that has MISSED lots of oil changes in it's hard life.

Name:  2GODQDs.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  887.7 KB

Name:  3BgHcoX.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  1.61 MB

Name:  7nh5go4.jpg
Size:  814.3 KB

Shocking that the motor is not all burnt up in the valley nor does the rest of it look terrible.

Name:  SmxxFkI.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  1.19 MB

The conrod bearings are toast, the Mains looks VERY good ( I will find pic) and the motor comes apart easily.

Block checks out good but the crank has .035 end float!! A real clunker when pulled back and forth :-) The crank goes out for refurb but after Magnaflux, we find it cracked. Luckily the local shop doing it has a source for a good used crank and we get that one refinished. It gets ground .010 & .010 and the thrust bearing surfaces are like new.

It's all apart getting done up and now going back together. I will post more later on.

Jon

Old 12-13-2017, 01:12 PM
OldGrayMare
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good for you and your daughter. She probably already knows more about cars than all the tuner guys her age.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:16 PM
1952 Ford Coe
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's great your daughter is that into the old vehicles. My oldest seems to be heading in the same direction too. But, she is only 8. If not her then maybe my other 2 younger daughters might.... time will tell. Let's see some pictures. Ugly and all

Old 12-13-2017, 01:27 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Jon,
That is awesome.... both the truck and your daughter! I think it's great that your daughter rags home a truck so Mom can't yell at you!

The body of the truck looks pretty good. The bed looks OK and I don't see a bit of rust on the front fenders!

Old 12-13-2017, 03:55 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Careful with that sludge, it almost certainly is full of lead that can be absorbed thru the skin!

Old 12-13-2017, 04:21 PM
Justboy
More Turbo
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Nice truck I like that you're keeping the Y block. Importing parts was too expensive for me to do the same unfortunately. It was full of sludge too. Make sure and get it boiled clean.
Was the white shirt just for the camera?

Old 12-13-2017, 04:30 PM
filthy6
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Allie is why I tried to get my son to learn to drive a manual transmission and learn some mechanical skills. I just knew he would fall in love with some gal who wouldn't give him the time of day because he had soft hands. He has soft hands. Good kid though.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:12 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My daughters first car was a Triumph Spitfire that we had to rebuild the engine and put a new floor in. She had to help and learn all the terms for the parts and what went where before she could learn to drive the manual shift. She was responsible for all upkeep after that. To this day she still can tell an engine that needs work. I think all the guys were jealous as she knew how to drive a 4 speed sports car.
It’s good for them to learn, you must be proud of her.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:05 PM
jcslocum
Senior User
Thanks for the compliments and support! She’s a real car girl thru and thu. She drives an M3 and her other cars are a Hot Rod 911 that she has built the engine for, and a 944 that she has had as her first car. She also has soft hands, a masters in psychology and profiles for a scary 3 letter gov’t agency.

That is a flatty she’s building, not a Y motor. She didn’t want to make any change to the power plant. She likes the look of the flatty and the are plenty of SBC and SBF transplants to go around. She will also keep the 3 on the tree. It’s different and cool. Also means that it will NEVER get stolen and no one young enough to steal cars knows what it is.

I have 4 daughters and all I can tell you is to start out slow with them and get them involved with you. Not sweeping the floor or fectching coffee or beers for you. Let them choose the music in the garage (it will be horrible) so they can feel at home.

She has been to welding school and can weld mig, tig and gas. She is our renaissance girl.

More to come on the engine tomorrow. Wait til you see it!

Old 12-13-2017, 09:18 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Originally Posted by jcslocum
Thanks for the compliments and support! She’s a real car girl thru and thu. She drives an M3 and her other cars are a Hot Rod 911 that she has built the engine for, and a 944 that she has had as her first car. She also has soft hands, a masters in psychology and profiles for a scary 3 letter gov’t agency.

That is a flatty she’s building, not a Y motor. She didn’t want to make any change to the power plant. She likes the look of the flatty and the are plenty of SBC and SBF transplants to go around. She will also keep the 3 on the tree. It’s different and cool. Also means that it will NEVER get stolen and no one young enough to steal cars knows what it is.

I have 4 daughters and all I can tell you is to start out slow with them and get them involved with you. Not sweeping the floor or fectching coffee or beers for you. Let them choose the music in the garage (it will be horrible) so they can feel at home.

She has been to welding school and can weld mig, tig and gas. She is our renaissance girl.

More to come on the engine tomorrow. Wait til you see it!
How true about not being easily stolen.... don't forget the push button starter to fend off would be robbers.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:21 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Cool truck, VERY cool chick! Great project! Keep us all posted.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:28 AM
1949f1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 372 Likes on 159 Posts
This is a cool story and look forward to seeing more of the build.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:52 AM
jcslocum
Senior User
I'm project addicted with cars and motorcycles...well anything with an engine. It's a hobby and we have a pretty big shop in MD. We moved from NY to prepare for retirement and live in a very small home now so had to rent a building for all of our other stuff including the cars.

Allie's 911 is here, she lives in DC. Here is a pic of her assembling her 911 engine a few years ago.

Name:  zhdy9DD.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  2.02 MB

Now she is working hard on weekends to pull the flatty together.

Gunky bit not crispy flatty valley. I expected worse after seeing the oil pan. The valley was grimy and sludgey but not filled with burned oil.

Name:  RL55Bzg.jpg
Size:  97.9 KB

New crank in the shop. She has just cleaned it, measured it and oiled it up a bit. The block came up good and had been bored .040 over in the past. The bores were good so the shop just honed it. Flywheel was ground as well. New crank, grinding it to .010 under, cut flywheel cost her $300. The shop is a very old long time machine shop and the owner is like 75 years old. the place is rammed with stuff but he does great work at a very fair price.

Name:  lt4u04d.jpg
Size:  627.4 KB

Name:  NSQTq3X.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  451.7 KB

We didn't have him do the valve job on the engine. What the FUN in that?? How can we teach and pass on this tribal knowledge if we have everything done for us?? She and I pulled the valves out. What a PIA to do! With everything kinda stuck and I had not disassembled a flatty before it was a joint learning experience. After a few hours of working at it we had them out. It took a bit of cleaning and scrubbing to removed years of gunk but I got that done during the week.

Upon inspection we found 1 badly burned valve. The seat was not damaged at all, surprisingly.

Name:  uuDokhm.jpg
Size:  362.8 KB

On to valve job time. This may now be a hobby for me, but it was once, many years ago my main job; pro mechanic. Way before the kids came along when first married I worked on cars for a living and I kept most of the tools from those days. As I relive my misspent youth (yoot if you recall My Cousin Vinny) I love using my old stuff to teach my kids and others how to do it.

I dragged the old Black and Decker Valve Refacing tooling out of a dark corner and unboxed it for this project. It hasn't seen the light of day for maybe 30 years and Allie had never seen it. When she showed up that Friday night and asked what was under the dust cover, it was like a bit like xmas or her birthday. She was so excited to see this maybe 50 year old tool. I had is set up and ready to go for her and Saturday morning she was all over it and got to grinding the valves right away.

Name:  RyXFqZ2.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  651.3 KB

Name:  zFpqz4r.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  406.1 KB

Name:  tP4KLib.jpg
Size:  563.1 KB

Name:  TWTX37f.jpg
Size:  481.7 KB

She did all usable valves as we found maybe 4 that didn't make the cut. I had ordered some extra new ones and we used them when there was any question or too much was being cut away.

More to come later on.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:42 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Very cool project with your daughter. Cherish your time together. And to end up with a 53 F-100 too! Life is good.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:51 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Awesome

Just a nice story , all way around.

I will be following this one with interest !

Quick Reply: New Truck intro and a Teach Your Daughters Well