6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2013 6.7L Low Fuel Pressure/ Reduced Engine Power problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 11:26 AM
MJBF250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 6.7L Low Fuel Pressure/ Reduced Engine Power problem

I have a 2013 F250 Platinum with 6.7L Diesel that has had three low fuel pressure/Reduced Power issues that have had me stranded on the Road. Each time the truck gets to the dealer they say no trouble found. Any other owners expereiencing this?

Old 12-13-2017, 12:30 PM
Trash Hauler
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Specifics could be useful. What fault codes is it throwing? When was the last time your fuel filters were changed? Stock or running tunes?

Only time I’ve had that issue it was 40 degrees below and the fuel gelled on me. With you being in Texas, I doubt that is your issue.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:30 PM
MJBF250
New User
The filters are changed every 10K. According to dealer Filters were in pristine condition. No water in fuel. Last time this occurred about 2k miles ago they replaced fuel pump and fuel cap because fuel pump would not prime. This is the fourth time this has happened. I do not have specific codes but was cruising at 65 mph when got Low fuel Pressure reduced power messages along with a CEL. Limped home and had tow truck take to dealer next day. Low fuel went away after sitting all night before tow truck got there.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:32 PM
Canadian SD
Junior User
How does your lift pump sound when you cycle the key? Any noise or gurgling? Also do you put any additive in the fuel ?

Old 12-13-2017, 06:39 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
perhaps this is a symptom of a fuel additive cap being introduced into the fuel tank.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:55 PM
MJBF250
New User
2013 Low fuel pressure problem

I have not noticed any strange noises from the fuel pump and I use the
[PM-22-A] Motorcraft Diesel Cetane Booster and Performance Improver(PM22A)

additive with every fuel fill up. I had mentioned to the dealer to drop fuel tank to see if there is something that could be causing this. They are real hesitant about doing this. They told me that this would not be covered if they found something in the tank. I told them that I have no issue paying for it if it solves this problem. They are currently waiting for a tool that will measure fuel pressure before the fuel pump and after the fuel pump. I personally think that there are only two possibilities: Either there is something in the tank that is causing this intermittently or the fuel pressure sensor is bad. They are the only two things left in the fuel system that would generate a low fuel pressure fault, correct?

Old 12-13-2017, 06:57 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
you most likely have the cardboard piece in the tank.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:27 PM
Canadian SD
Junior User
That was the reason I asked about additives, very easy to lose the seal from the cap, very intermittent problem. Shouldn't take more than an hour to drop the tank and check as long as you take it to the on empty. Mine had the lift pump go out of it and would throw the message if I held it floored for more than a quarter mile.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:55 PM
MJBF250
New User
I am waiting for the dealer to come to the same conclusion. Only problem will be the full tank of fuel that is in the tank. I try to make sure I never go below a quarter tank because know how that is a big no no if diesels run out of fuel This is especially true having the Bosch 4.2 HPFP.. I appreciate all the help and suggestions that you guys have given me. It is nice to know that there are folks willing to take the time to provide suggestions on how to fix problems with this 65K beast. Thank you.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:45 PM
DavidT.
Elder User
Definitely check the tank!

Old 12-15-2017, 07:31 AM
cangim
Postmaster
if you have a couple fuel cans you could drain into them to reduce the amount of fuel in the tank, water separator will siphon when opened up. Or you could turn the key on and go through a few cycles as it pumps it out for you.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:05 PM
polarlys
Senior User
Mine is in the shop for this right now. I have a 2015 F-350 w/ 6.7 and 55k miles. Yesterday I noted a high pitched whistle noise then the low fuel pressure warning came up and my truck went into low power limp mode. I parked it with plans to have it towed to the dealer but after sitting for 20 min or so it started right up with full power. Check engine light still on. I drove to the dealer with no further issue and left it with them. Today they confirmed the issue both low pressure and high pressure but will not get to dig in until Monday so we'll see what they find.

Roger from snowy NJ

Old 12-16-2017, 05:05 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I vote is cardboard cap seal.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:35 AM
polarlys
Senior User
Boy. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place. Part of me wants it to be something simple (but not my fault) and on fords dime. The other part wants it to NOT be something more with the fuel system and on my dime. I lean towards it NOT being the cardboard or foil. But, of course it might be. I use additives sometimes but have not put any in in awhile. I'm in between fuel filter changes but have never found any water. But, of course, it might be. I try to get fuel from trusted places but can't always happen when on the road but here at home I'm pretty comfortable with that. Buttttt...... I guess I'll find out on Monday.

Old 12-25-2017, 02:48 PM
MJBF250
New User
Well the dealer dropped the tank and found nothing, they said it was clean. They are scratching their heads on what keeps causing the low fuel pressure issue. To date they have replaced both filters, the fuel cap, and replaced the low pressure pump three times. I am at the point now that that they cannot resolve this issue and I about to give up on this truck. I do not think I will ever get a 6.7 while they have these types of mystery problems that the dealer says their senior Diesel Tech with 25 years experience cannot figure out. They have had this truck for almost a month and cannot recreate the problem, which they also told me the last three times this happened. I just cannot trust this motor not to fail on the highway as it has done each time this happens. If anybody has any suggestions on where I go from here I will be glad to hear them. Nothing like having a $66k truck that keeps failing.

Quick Reply: 2013 6.7L Low Fuel Pressure/ Reduced Engine Power problem