1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk When Starting or Stopping - 2008 F-250CCSB4x4

Old 05-15-2009, 06:52 AM
scottjima
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clunk When Starting or Stopping - 2008 F-250CCSB4x4

I have an 08 F-250 CC SB 4x4 Diesel truck that has since new clunked when starting out from a stop and/or coming to a stop. I have 16k on it now and am getting really tired of dealing with it...
The clunk starting is when I let off the brake and just apply the throttle. It feels like something slips and then clunk.
The clunk when stopping is the same as starting, except when coming to a stop.
This is unloaded or when loaded w/ cargo and/or trailers.
Any help? I know I can go to the dealer, but I don't want to un-spartan my truck for this...
Thanks in advance!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:29 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I am not familiar with the newer trucks but it may be the same. I know in the past, Fords were notorius for the slip joint in the driveline clunking at starts and stops. The remedy was to cut the clips that hold the rubber boot on, grease up the slip joint and replace the boot using zip ties to hold it in place. Something to think about.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe there was a recent thread on this issue and a TSB was mention. The listing of TSB's on this forum only go to 2006. I tried the "Search" feature but it doesn't work. Maybe you will have better success using the "Search" feature.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:12 AM
scottjima
Cross-Country
I saw the thread about the TSB, but never could find the actual info on it... I have had several replies about the slip yoke lube, so I'll try that first.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:16 AM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This may not even be relevant since yours is a 2008, but here's how I did my 2004....

2004 F250 Slip Yoke Service

Old 05-17-2009, 01:06 PM
tenfingers
New User
I had a similar problem with a 2000 SD Crew cab that I bought from my brother. It had the same noise that you discribe. My brother said it had had the noise several years. It has been to several dealerships around the country (he works on the road) and none of them ever found it.

After owning the truck several months, the noise started to really bother me. It wasn't any worse, just annoying haveng a clunking noise that you can't identify.

I had a friend ride with me to listen for the noise and hopefully identify the source.

What it turned out to be (on my truck anyway) was what felt like a full can of something thay was behind the back seat and it would roll then "clunk" into something whenever accelerating or decelerating. It didn't roll around much because the stuff in the can was thick.

No idea what the can was full of because it had been doing it so long that the paint had completely worn off.

Pitched the can. Noise gone!!!

Hope this helps.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:04 PM
enduro4231
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I had a Chevy that would do this, as well as when going from park into drive, or from park/drive into reverse. Turns out it was the pinion bearing.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Wildcat Fan
Junior User
Scottjima -

Any update on your issue? I have an 08 as well, and am experiencing the same issue. The dealerships - (been to a couple, one agreed they felt it and said it was "normal') are starting to bug me with their lack of resolution. In addition, most if not all that have replied on this forum, have trucks older than ours when there was a known problem with the slip joint. I'm not hearing that this is an issue on the 2006+ trucks, although the symptoms seem to match.

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2010, 04:18 PM
scottjima
Cross-Country
I have about 10k or so on the new driveshaft, carrier, etc. The problem has returned same as before. I got probably 6 or 7k on the new stuff before it came back.

I think the slip joint is the same as the older trucks, so who knows.

I have pretty much given up on this as I am now out of the 3/36k warranty.

Good luck. If it bothers me enough, I'll just drop the driveshaft and grease it on my own. I did this once before they swapped it out and it did help for a bit.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Wildcat Fan
Junior User
Scottjima - Thanks for following up. A few more questions if you don't mind:

• Did/does this happen all the time, or do you notice it when the drivetrain/truck is warmed up? (I seem to notice it after driving a while)
  • If it doesn't happen all the time, do you find ambient temp to be related at all? (seems to happen more for me if the outside temp is 65+ degress)
  • Do you hear it, or just feel it (I just feel it - at least for now)
  • Did it get worse over time?
  • How did you ever convince the dealer to swap out the driveshaft, etc? (even though they feel it, I can't convince them to do anything b/c they call it normal).
Thanks!

Old 04-25-2010, 08:42 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the same issue. Just started a couple weeks ago. I greased both slip yoke's today (4X4).

I think I heard it when I test drove after my crawling around so I don't think I fixed it.

BTW, on my '08, the driveshaft for the rear wheels has a slip yoke that has a blue coating on the spline grooves. (I see that we all have the blue stuff, should'nt this stuff be free of friction?) Really seemed like greasing it was a waste of time... the front yoke was normal steel. I completely removed both driveshafts and used a decent amount of grease shoved up into the yoke. I'll find out if it helps the noise tomorrow, got 600 miles to drive.

Somehow, I really feel the bearings on the front axle/wheels are what is being a problem. The U-joint that mates the axle to the hub is fine, the bearing that mates the axle to the u-joint is what concerns me.

Last edited by ruschejj; 04-25-2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: blue stuff on the '06 too
Old 04-26-2010, 06:57 AM
waverunner800
Senior User
I have the same issue. Took it to the dealer last summer, and they said it was normal. I even told them about the slip yoke, and they "claimed" they greased it (wonder how, since it didn't look like the boot had been removed). A couple weeks ago, I was getting an oil change at the Quick Lane, and went in a talked to a regular service advisor. He said it might be the TCM needing reprogramed, but then looked up the TSBs on mine and found one (I didn't get the number--dang it) stating shifts fro 1-2 and 2-3 could cause a "clunk." I told him it's not happening when it shifts--only when I take off and stop. He then said it's because I have an XL, and they don't have as much "insulation" on the engine/tranny mounts. That's when I figured I was talking to a moron, because I think the engine/tranny mounts are probably the same--it's the interior that gets upgraded on XLTs and above, right?

It bugs me to no end, especially in stop and go traffic. I've also noticed on cool mornings, it doesn't do it until she warms up (It was 58 this morning, and at the first light I stopped at, nice and smooth...). I wish someone would figure it out....

Old 04-26-2010, 07:21 AM
scottjima
Cross-Country
I'll try to comment to all three posts here...

-It does seem to only hapen after I've been driving for a while. Not sure why...
-It doesn't seem temp related, as it does it in the winter also.
-I can't hear anything, just feel it.
-It seems to get to the point where it happens at most ever stop/start (once it is warmed up) and does not get worse from there. I have 40k on my truck now...
-My dealer is pretty good. They first said they didn't notice anything. Next, they greased the slip yolk and it was better for a bit. Lastly, they said the driveshaft was out of balance and the driveshaft "assembly" comes with the carrier bearing, u-joints, etc. I don't really think the driveshaft was out of balance...

To me, it seems like it comes from the rear end, not the front end. I have never greased the front driveshaft, and don't think that's the problem as it does go away after lubing the slip yolk.

I've also often wondered if it is the rear brake calipers sticking. My reason for this is I can be stopped and when I release the brakes it will happen - before even touching the gas pedal. However, this should not change with the slip yolk.

Lastly, I've been told this is something a ladder bar will fix. I think this might be the case, but I'm not sure. I think this also might be worse on the 08 f-250 because of the longer softer leaf springs. Perhaps swapping in the f-350 springs would fix it???

My next step is probably another lube job and whenever I do the rear brakes, I'll make sure everything is lubed properly and sliding freely.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:41 AM
Wildcat Fan
Junior User
Wow. This is really a shame. It sure does seem like we are all experiencing the very same issue, with no real solution just yet.

I received the response from one dealer that it is "powertrain mechanical lash" and was handed an Oasis report - sounds like the same one waverunner got. The problem is, that's NOT my issue either...the upshifts are fine.

I too first though that the issue was the brakes. Yes, when sitting at a light, simply letting my foot off the brake sometimes results in the "thump." Maybe it still is brake related, but that doesn't explain the thump on stopping as our foot would be on the brake applying pressure the whole time.

Sad part now...I have others even pointing it out to me when they ride in the truck. They want to know what's wrong with my new truck???

Old 04-26-2010, 08:28 AM
waverunner800
Senior User
scottjima--I have an F350, and it is the same, so don't think switching springs will help. Mine also does when I let off the brake without giving it any gas (er, diesel).

Wildcat Fan: My dealer also mentioned "gear lashup." How can the grears be lashing up before I even hit the gas pedal?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clunk When Starting or Stopping - 2008 F-250CCSB4x4