1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear driveline issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 06:01 PM
LindsayKent
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear driveline issue

Hi All, Am new to the site and have enjoyed looking around, reading other's posts. What brings me here is I have a 1997 F250 Super Duty 4 x 4 (automatic) and extended cab with the rear driveline in need of repair or replacement. As I understand it, this driveline has a circular weight on it that is used to keep the driveline in balance. My problem is that according to the Ford parts people, it is a discontinued part and no longer available (well the pickup is 20 years old so no surprises here) I stopped by a tire and driveline shop to see if they could repair or offer suggestions
and no luck. So can anyone offer any suggestions. I don't drive it much and can cut the ring off and probably reduce the vibration and rattle, but that is not quite the fix I am looking for. Any suggestions are appreciated. Lindsay

Old 12-12-2017, 06:12 PM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If a driveline shop can’t rebuild your driveshaft and balance it you need to find a new driveline shop and they shouldn’t be calling themselves a driveline shop either. Don’t cut the weight off it will not help. How are the u joints and the carrier bearing if you have a 2 piece driveshaft any slop in them when you push up on the driveshaft?

Old 12-12-2017, 06:25 PM
LindsayKent
New User
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply, I agree with your comments regarding the driveline shop, I did not spend any more time than necessary once they said they couldn't make the repairs. I was searching the web for another shop when I came across this forum and figured somebody should have had a similar problem. The u-joints appear to be good but the carrier bearing is showing some signs of wear. I have been planning on going through and replacing the u-joints and servicing the hubs. Just haven't got it done yet. Guess it time to do it all.

Lindsay

Old 12-13-2017, 05:42 AM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carrier bearing for my '03 at the dealer cost me 461.26 plus misc fees and tax. (about 550 total)

I had a pretty bad vibration until I went up my hill a couple times... Then parts spat out and it was seriously bad and had it towed to the shop.

I was prepared to do the u-joints at the same time, but mine checked out OK.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:12 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by DogRidesInBack
Carrier bearing for my '03 at the dealer cost me 461.26 plus misc fees and tax. (about 550 total)

I had a pretty bad vibration until I went up my hill a couple times... Then parts spat out and it was seriously bad and had it towed to the shop.

I was prepared to do the u-joints at the same time, but mine checked out OK.
Maybe I don't understand what you had done. I took the two piece drive shaft out of my '02 to a driveline shop. All new u-joints, carrier bearing, and balance for under $300 (can't remember exact cost). They built a whole new two piece drive shaft for my '65 for $600ish.

I guess if they charged you two hours labor then that'd be about right.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:53 AM
LindsayKent
New User
The part's man at the Ford store told me that if they had access to the driveline, which it has been discontinued and they don't, that the cost would be over $1000. This seemed like a crazy price even for a dealership. What I am wondering is why can a driveline shop just build me a new one that is balanced and without the ring, after all it;s just a driveline and the pickup has limited duty. I purchased in 07 and it had 118 k on it. Now it has 149K and very seldom do I leave town with it. Guess I be calling around some later today and find a shop that will do such a thing or try and find a used one from a wrecking yard.

The cost of the carrier baring you had to pay seems kind of high just for a carrier bearing, but I agree with '65Ford, if they re-balanced it and the labor charges were included it seems that would be something you would expect to pay at a dealership.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:59 AM
Lawnpro979
Senior User
I found a transmission shop once that rebalanced mine. Also there’s some YouTube videos about a diy balancing.
As I recall they were using hose clamps at different positions to try to balance it...
it a long and aggravating process.

best of luck

Old 12-13-2017, 12:09 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by '65Ford
Maybe I don't understand what you had done. I took the two piece drive shaft out of my '02 to a driveline shop. All new u-joints, carrier bearing, and balance for under $300 (can't remember exact cost). They built a whole new two piece drive shaft for my '65 for $600ish.

I guess if they charged you two hours labor then that'd be about right.
Originally Posted by LindsayKent
... The cost of the carrier baring you had to pay seems kind of high just for a carrier bearing, but I agree with '65Ford, if they re-balanced it and the labor charges were included it seems that would be something you would expect to pay at a dealership.
It was due to dealer pricing. There is an excellent shop locally that could have done it for a lot less, but there was a multi-week wait to get in (the crew was tied up with the SEMA show).

Old 12-13-2017, 06:19 PM
LindsayKent
New User
"It was due to dealer pricing. There is an excellent shop locally that could have done it for a lot less, but there was a multi-week wait to get in (the crew was tied up with the SEMA show)."

I understand, you gotta have it when you gotta have it. Been there a few times myself. As for my driveline issue, I found a used one, supposed to be in excellent shape for $425. Not exactly the best of timing, but beggars can't be choosy.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:44 AM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
425 for a used drive shaft is way too much in my opinion. There’s no reason a competent driveline shop can’t rebuild what you have for less or even the same money but that would be expensive as far as I was concerned. I’ve had a few rebuilt and lengthened over the years and I know I never paid as much as that used one you found for a complete rebuild, lengthened, and balanced and they always come freshly painted as well and it wasn’t Joe Bob out back with a rattle can either.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:32 AM
LindsayKent
New User
I agree, but it's a similar set of circumstance you experienced. While my Freightliner is in the shop, I am doing some construction and am using my pickup every day. The used driveline is both pieces and the center carrier bearing is in near perfect condition (or so they say, I haven't seen it yet) so my thoughts are to purchase it and get my pickup put back together. Then find a driveline shop, get the old one repaired and put it out there for sale, for that matter... now that I think about it, my brother has the same year pickup and regularly puts it through its paces pulling several different trailers and frequent trips into the mountains. Its possible he might be in need of one soon as well. In any case, I can't go limping around on just the front driveline so I am going to bite the bullet and purchase the used one.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:09 AM
LindsayKent
New User
Originally Posted by Mike189677
425 for a used drive shaft is way too much in my opinion. There’s no reason a competent driveline shop can’t rebuild what you have for less or even the same money but that would be expensive as far as I was concerned. I’ve had a few rebuilt and lengthened over the years and I know I never paid as much as that used one you found for a complete rebuild, lengthened, and balanced and they always come freshly painted as well and it wasn’t Joe Bob out back with a rattle can either.
I got to thinking about what your opinion of the cost of the used driveline so I called another driveline shop, he quoted me $250 to replace u-joints, center bearing, cut off the metal balancing ring and re-balance my existing driveline. So change in plan, I'll be taking the driveline to him instead. Thanks for your input.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:50 AM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by LindsayKent
I got to thinking about what your opinion of the cost of the used driveline so I called another driveline shop, he quoted me $250 to replace u-joints, center bearing, cut off the metal balancing ring and re-balance my existing driveline. So change in plan, I'll be taking the driveline to him instead. Thanks for your input.
That’s a much better plan and a decent price glad I was able to help you make the right decision.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:01 AM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts
I had the local driveline shop retube the rear section and balance mine for only $120.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:14 AM
LindsayKent
New User
Originally Posted by 00t444e
I had the local driveline shop retube the rear section and balance mine for only $120.
That's a great price, and perhaps it is possible that I could shop around and get a better price, currently I need the pickup to be fully functional so I will have to live with the 250.