2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

HP & torque with a trans. PTO provision

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 09:10 PM
PapaDon
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HP & torque with a trans. PTO provision

I’m narrowing my search and thought I had decided on one of two different F250 Larriet 6.2 gassers with CCSB until I stumbled upon a F350 XLT with a diesel.
This XLT has my must have center console which I’ve had a hard time finding. It has other check-offs on my list plus something I haven’t incountered up until now. A transmission power take off provision (PTO).
Now since discovering this truck I’ve done some research, a lot on this site. I’m digging the thought of an addition like this thinking it could help resale value and who knows, I might even use it. I’m just not too familiar with this add-on other than what it does. This site made that clear - thank you.
My questions;
Does the PTO affect the transmission negatively or positively?

Is this transmission built different?

Does it affect horse power or torque?

Is it okay if I never use it and is there maitanence involved if I don’t?

I guess those are the main questions for me.

Thank you

<acronym title="Page Ranking">pr</acronym>

Old 12-11-2017, 11:46 PM
DSLTRK60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 425 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by PapaDon
I’m narrowing my search and thought I had decided on one of two different F250 Larriet 6.2 gassers with CCSB until I stumbled upon a F350 XLT with a diesel.
This XLT has my must have center console which I’ve had a hard time finding. It has other check-offs on my list plus something I haven’t incountered up until now. A transmission power take off provision (PTO).
Now since discovering this truck I’ve done some research, a lot on this site. I’m digging the thought of an addition like this thinking it could help resale value and who knows, I might even use it. I’m just not too familiar with this add-on other than what it does. This site made that clear - thank you.
My questions;
Does the PTO affect the transmission negatively or positively?
Neither
Is this transmission built different?
Yes, access plate and immediate gearing behind torque converter.
Does it affect horse power or torque?
Yes, but not noticeably. All you have is a tiny bit of extra mass that is also rotating.
Is it okay if I never use it and is there maitanence involved if I don’t?
Yes. No.
I guess those are the main questions for me.

Thank you

<acronym title="Page Ranking"><acronym title="Page Ranking">pr</acronym></acronym>
Not worth adding on a fancy truck such as a lariat. PTO is better suited for chassis trucks that use hydraulic equipment such as dump beds or plows. I guess it would be bada$$ to have a hydraulic winch though.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:10 AM
PapaDon
Freshman User
Thanks for the reply. I’m having fun researching trucks.
I think I just may stick to a gasser F250, Larriet. That XLT F350 is nice though.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:08 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
The only drawback to having a PTO provision when you don't need it is that they add it to the cost of the truck. After that you don't need to do anything. There isn't actually a PTO on the truck, the trans just has the provision to mount one. It wouldn't be a negative, or even a positive over the life of the truck.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:37 AM
PapaDon
Freshman User
They list it as a $280 upgrade is all so it’s not bad.
I was just wondering if the transmission was built beefier or it would rob any power.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:12 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
They list it as a $280 upgrade is all so it’s not bad.
I was just wondering if the transmission was built beefier or it would rob any power.
The PTO provision does not change horsepower or torque rating, and does not change the transmission, either. It is exactly the same transmission with a little plate bolted on to the side that would allow you to purchase and install a PTO which bolts in place of the plate.

This is a relatively rare option on a pickup. It is cheap and kind of cool, but what would you use it for?

Old 12-12-2017, 11:52 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Neither...

Old 12-12-2017, 04:01 PM
PapaDon
Freshman User
Originally Posted by troverman
The PTO provision does not change horsepower or torque rating, and does not change the transmission, either. It is exactly the same transmission with a little plate bolted on to the side that would allow you to purchase and install a PTO which bolts in place of the plate.

This is a relatively rare option on a pickup. It is cheap and kind of cool, but what would you use it for?
Not sure.
It’s an option on a XLT F350 that I’m looking at.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:04 PM
got2haveit
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman

I think snowplow was one of the main reasons to add this option...

Old 12-12-2017, 04:30 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Uses could be Hydraulic pump for a hydraulic lift (tilt box for example), hydraulic pump for snow plow cylinders (raise, lower, angle, vee formation, a small electric generator, maybe even an AC pump for a commercial refrigeration unit on the truck, Air compressor for large air tools, such as a tire shop truck...

Old 12-12-2017, 07:36 PM
tpalmer007
Senior User
VMAC makes a pretty slick PTO mounted air compressor for the 6.7L. 70cfm output. No idea what it costs though.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:37 PM
Reactor111
Senior User
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I optioned it on my 450 for the upcoming zombie apocalypse. You just never know what you will need.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:53 PM
FlightSergeantRose
Junior User
Originally Posted by Reactor111
I optioned it on my 450 for the upcoming zombie apocalypse. You just never know what you will need.

Exactly. Cheap option that might come in handy someday. I have it on my order.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:30 PM
PapaDon
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FlightSergeantRose
Exactly. Cheap option that might come in handy someday. I have it on my order.
Thanks for all the input. I didn’t order the truck in question, it’s just equipped with it and I’m shoppin around.
Now to decide, XLT Diesel F350 vs. Larriet Gasser F250. Leaning towards the Diesel with the included PTO.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:37 PM
First Dually
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
FWIW, there is enough difference between the 2 trucks that the PTO is virtually inconsequential. If the choice is between this 2 trucks, pick the one that best meets your needs regardless if it has the PTO or not.

Quick Reply: HP & torque with a trans. PTO provision