1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 01:04 AM
1999stroke
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring

So I want to rewire my f100 there is so much hacking going on inside it that I think I need to start over. What kits have you all used? What works best?

Old 12-11-2017, 06:32 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Centech offers a Ford truck-specific wiring harness (with Ford plugs!) whereas Painless is more patterned for GM products.

Alternatively, American Autowire offers a system for 69/70 Mustangs which closely mimics the Bumpsides... adapt and overcome.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:19 PM
grantorinosport
Cross-Country
American Autowire makes a direct fit 67-72 kit for our trucks.

I did some research prior to ordering it, and the American Autowire is the clear winner if you are looking for "closest to stock" configuration.

With that being said, it does account for modern stuff, providing extra wire runs for lights, accounting for a Delco 12SI and/or 3G alternator (small extra).

I just received my harness a couple of days ago, so I have not yet installed it, but my unboxing and inspection shows it will be a really good product.

I had the same issue as you - lots of hacking over the years, along with the wiring just being old and crappy. My mid 70's Torinos have far better wiring, but then again it seemed the passenger cars were always a few years ahead of trucks for technology. I assume that went with the quality/type of wiring used as well.

This is not a job for the meek, and will take a ton of time once started (I saw one quote at 30+ hours for an ASE tech to do it) but it will create the best and most reliable electrical system in your truck.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:47 PM
kdaug5
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm just finishing up a Centech harness. I'm completely happy with the kit.

When I placed my order they wanted my truck specs like engine, ignition, charging system etc., so all that will was wired. Everything was bagged separately with detailed instructions. And support is an email or phone call away. I worked with Jim and he was a lot of help.

I really took my time to get everything fitted where I wanted. I'm a slow worker.

The complete kit was $450 I believe.

Good luck. If you lived closer I could help as I would be quicker next time.

Kenny

Old 12-11-2017, 11:14 PM
1999stroke
Senior User
thanks for the info guys really appreciate it will definitely help in the buying process

Old 12-12-2017, 11:44 AM
grantorinosport
Cross-Country
American Autowire also ships new switches (ignition, wiper, headlight, etc) with the kit, and the fuse panel is a larger style to accommodate more circuits and is also the newer style fuses. Instructions are very good (they print full color 11x17 sheets and include them in the kit, as well as they are available online as PDF) and there are also some youtube videos on some topics.

I'd go to their website and look at their documentation to get a good feel for what you are getting. As I said, I have the kit in my garage now (intend to install Jan-Feb) and if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to look in my kit and let you know.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:52 PM
katfishgr
New User
So American Autowire or Centech ...

I know I'm about to step in $#!@ doing this. But ... it's winter. Bought the truck not too long ago. And after pulling the cluster, looking for a wire, I found splices ... found a melted wire that who knows goes where ... another wire for the dome light that was cut and I can't find the other end. Everything in the truck works ... except for the dome light of course, and the radio. But I would like to clean it up. Looks like a fire waiting to happen.

Going to research these two mentioned in this thread. Autowire with new switches sounds pretty good.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:20 PM
grantorinosport
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by katfishgr
So American Autowire or Centech ...

I know I'm about to step in $#!@ doing this. But ... it's winter. Bought the truck not too long ago. And after pulling the cluster, looking for a wire, I found splices ... found a melted wire that who knows goes where ... another wire for the dome light that was cut and I can't find the other end. Everything in the truck works ... except for the dome light of course, and the radio. But I would like to clean it up. Looks like a fire waiting to happen.

Going to research these two mentioned in this thread. Autowire with new switches sounds pretty good.

I have the American Autowire kit. Still in a box (just got it a week ago), but let me know if you have any questions or need any information about it.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:09 PM
katfishgr
New User
Did a little digging around online last night. Looks like there are a few companies with offerings.

Which kit did you end up going with from AA? Are the switches a good match?

Old 12-20-2017, 12:10 PM
grantorinosport
Cross-Country
I bought American Autowire kit P/N 510368 from Summit.
It is specifically designed for 67-72. It does include new switches for ignition, headlight and wipers. The switches are not the same as ours (the connectors are a little different but close) but appear to be a Ford style. In the case of the wiper, I was going to just de-pin the wiper connector and re-pin to the ford factory connector so I could use my delay switch and delay setup as normal. In the case of the headlight and ignition switch I think I'll just use theirs.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:41 PM
1972-34ton
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
With any of these kits, do consider adding wires for later projects and updates. Relays for the headlights, and other accessories need some extra conductors. I about doubled the fuses in mine, and added some heavy cable for an inverter and corporate assets.

Look for the good nylon loom with a gray stripe on it, for underhood conduit. The cheap stuff gives way in a few years. Avoid the cheap colored stuff.

$500 seems pretty reasonable.

You may want to invest in an extra large set of waterproof connectors. Sumwit Raking has some good stuff. (fix the letters). Correctly installed terminal crimping, and hot-melt glue lined heat-shrink is needed, or desired in a lot of places.

New power switches are a biggie. Do it at the same time, or go generic.

learn about "ground loops".

...and that's all I have .02 say...