Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Whipple Supercharger installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 03:05 PM
dstrech
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Whipple Supercharger installed!!

I finally have enough time on my new SC to give an opinion on its performance in actual use. First let me say that this is probably the most expensive single modification you can do to your truck ($5000 installed). It is also, the only modification I've done that I can say without a doubt has made a noticable improvement to the performance of the truck.

I have about 3000 miles of towing, highway, and city driving on this SC and can now say its was worth it (I just wish I'd have done this first before wasting all my money on the other "upgrades".

Anyway, heres some vital statistics:

Avg. MPG pre SC: 11.5
Avg. MPG post SC: 11.1

Towing MPG pre SC: 7.5
Towing MPG post SC: 7.1
(towing a 29', 7000lb fifth wheel and 2000lb trailer with 2 Personal Water-Craft (yes, I pull two trailers at the same time))

Acceleration has increased dramatically. The torque is very noticable. I used to struggle to get to highway speeds while towing, now I can tow in overdrive (on the flats, uphill I still turn the overdrive off). The install looks clean and professional, but was not without some problems requiring modification of brackets, broken parts replacement, and calls to Whipple for wiring details.

I live a 4500 ft and have no gauges yet so I can't say how much actual boost I'm running yet. I talked to a guy today with a whipple on his suburban who says he's only getting 3psi. If I'm getting close to the same I'll get a smaller pulley to increase the pressure later.

Headers are a problem and I've not found the solution yet. I get two codes (P1131 and P1151), both indicating a lean burn condition that according to Whipple is actually the O2 sensors getting too cool and not switching states fast enough. Their suggested fix was first to try new O2's (which I have), and then to move the O2 bungs closer to the head, possibly even into a single tube before the collector. I think I will try wrapping the headers with an insulating wrap to keep the heat in the pipe. They say this second option fixed the problem on their test truck which also has stainless Borla headers.

The bottom line is the SC does exactly what its supposed to and to me worth the investment if you want to see big performance increases. Whipple tells me they have in intercooler in the works and when they have a acceptable core it will be marketed (probably in a year or so.

Old 09-12-2003, 05:11 PM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts

Lucky dog.........

Have you run your truck on a dyno yet??

Old 09-12-2003, 09:50 PM
V10BLOWN
New User

I have the borla stainless headers on my V-10 with a Paxton supercharger and I don't have any code issues. Are you sure that the truck is not running to lean? What chip are you using and how is your fuel increased with that setup?

Old 09-13-2003, 09:39 AM
v10Mustang
Junior User

I would have to agree with you on that. I would take it to a dyno with an a/f metering capabilities. going lean can toast your high dollar v-10 real quick

Old 09-13-2003, 10:14 AM
MrRottnDog
Posting Guru

I would get to a dyno soon and MAKE SURE it is not running lean. My eXcursion V10 with Kenne Bell Supercharger ran very lean after the supercharger was installed but still did not trip any codes. It would be worth the cost of a dyno run just for the peace of mind.

Old 09-13-2003, 11:19 AM
daimon1054
Posting Guru

The FFI injectors should be able to handle the extra fule needed. But if you do not have the FFV injectors then there is no way you are getting enough fuel. Also did you change the fuel pressure regulator and did you add a higher capacity fuel pump. Both need to be done no mater what injectors your running.

I say this only to reforce what others have told you. I think you might be lean and that is not good.

Old 09-13-2003, 03:51 PM
dstrech
New User

First off I haven't done a dyno run yet and I'm not sure that I will. There is only one place around here to have it done and I understand it is very hard to get scheduled.

Second, I really don't believe I have a lean condition, as I haven't heard any pinging (even under a heavy load such as towing uphill) or noticed anything else that might indicate a lean burn. Whipple gives you a warning light that informs the driver of a lean condition so you can back off the throttle and I've not seen it come on yet.

Third, Whipple uses a "boost-a-pump" ( which I believe Kenne Bell also now uses) to increase voltage to the fuel pump only when boost is being applied. My installer has installed over a hundred Whipples (he claims) and says he has never seen any problems with the Fords using this set-up. He says the GM's fuel pump only lasts a few months and they usually get an aftermarket fuel pump. As for the larger injectors, I believe they would deliver extra fuel in all conditions creating a rich burn when no boost is delivered, this could foul plugs and make fuel economy even worse. With the Whipples active boost system I'm only getting boost when the throttle is open 75% or more, so most of the time the truck acts like stock.

Old 09-13-2003, 04:52 PM
MrRottnDog
Posting Guru

I also have the 'boost a pump' and kenne bell chip... As I said it still ran lean. Bell blames it on the headers. Bye the way, I also have Borla headers. Not wanting to remove the headers I called Borla and they sent me a pair of venturis which were tack welded into the y-pipe after the headers.

I have a 255 lph fuel pump and diablo custom chip that will replace the KB 'boost a pump' and fmu. I am waiting on a set of ford racing 42# injectors. Be aware if you change injectors in the V10 there are two different styles floating around for the V10 one has a square type connection (EV6) and the other has an oval shaped connection (EV1). Make sure which one you have before you order them.

Old 09-13-2003, 07:49 PM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts

ROTTNDOG
Where did you get your info in the injectors?? If you can e-mail that's fine.

Old 09-13-2003, 09:27 PM
MrRottnDog
Posting Guru

I first ordered the injectors from bosch for the V10. When they arrived the connection was square and the connection on the injectors on mine were oval shaped. I sent them back and ordered the injectors from Ford Racing. When they came it was the same deal. I called Ford Racing and they told me of the two types of injectors. The older EV1's and the newer EV6's. I have yet to re-order them... but will soon. I'll email you with an attachment of the fax sheet Ford Racing sent me. It also has the part numbers for 19, 23, 24, 30 and 42# injectors and the pictures of the two styles.

HeavyAssault, Send me your email address if you want the attachment! I'm at mrrottndog(No Email Addresses In Posts!)

Last edited by MrRottnDog; 09-13-2003 at 09:31 PM.