Sponsored by: DP Tuner

😡 Collector band clamp, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 04:30 PM
JGRNAUT_7.3L
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
😡 Collector band clamp, need help!

Ok doing uppies this weekend with some other things but totally stuck on this stupid band clamp behind the turbo. I’ve pryed every which way ya and sprayed with with pb blaster a week before this job, night before and now one hell of a lot. I got the first part broke loose finally but can’t for the life of me get the rest that I can hardly access with turbo in the way. Any and all suggestions welcomed.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:37 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,442 Likes on 2,840 Posts
A long flat head screwdriver and a hammer to knock it off. A pry bar. Removing the driver side battery and using the bracket for the battery as a leverage point for your foot can help.

Mine was a pain in the *** too, as most of them are.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:25 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 217 Likes on 147 Posts
I sprayed mine with "Free All" then, while laying on my belly over the engine, I took a small screwdriver and worked it in at the butt joint by feel, prying a little at a time. Suddenly I heard a "tink!" as it sprang open. It took a while and I was getting pissed so I had to take a break before success happened.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I pried and cursed and stretched and cursed and pried a different angle and cursed and bent the clamp up and cursed and got about a 12" piece of drift and waled on the side of the clamp, the thick part down on the joint and it popped off.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:07 PM
JGRNAUT_7.3L
Senior User
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
I pried and cursed and stretched and cursed and pried a different angle and cursed and bent the clamp up and cursed and got about a 12" piece of drift and waled on the side of the clamp, the thick part down on the joint and it popped off.
Yes I have cursed more at this darn thing then I’d like to admit. All I can get it the one portion I can actually reach and got it to pop free but can’t for the life of me get the other two sections. Taking a break for the night and drinking a beer or 10 and gonna hit it fresh in the morning and go for a Hail Mary to get this damn thing off.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:12 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Originally Posted by JGRNAUT_7.3L
Yes I have cursed more at this darn thing then I’d like to admit. All I can get it the one portion I can actually reach and got it to pop free but can’t for the life of me get the other two sections. Taking a break for the night and drinking a beer or 10 and gonna hit it fresh in the morning and go for a Hail Mary to get this damn thing off.
Yep, that's where I was. There is one small opening that I could get the drift pin through and get on that clamp. One hard shot knocked it off completely. It wasn't about prying it for me, it was about shocking the whole thing into submission.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:30 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

You want to push this end away and slightly downward. Spray your PB Blaster or whatever into this gap between the clamp and the collector lip.

It can penetrate between the two surfaces.

Then go do something else for 15 mins or so. Come back with a long heavy screwdriver, a rubber mallet, a pry bar, a drift pin, etc. You want the end to be blunt if possible.

Good luck

Old 12-10-2017, 06:19 AM
johnsps250
Tuned
I found prying didn’t work well for me. I found putting a screwdriver on the bottom of the v between the segments and tap it lightly with a hammer pops them right off. I did spray with kroil as well but I was about to bend the screwdriver prying before I tried striking it.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:24 AM
JGRNAUT_7.3L
Senior User
I got that one off no problem at all. Maybe I used the wrong words here. It’s the one in the way back behind the turbo that I can barley get my hands on. Only part I can really access to get a screwdriver on is the top right and that’s the part I have off but the rest of the clamp won’t budge. About to head out there this morning and see what happens. It’s coming off one way or another, just don’t want to break anything. At this point I’m sure I will be looking were to buy a new clamp at the very least.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:44 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
I was figuring that you were talking about the turbo to collector clamp on the back and I got the left side off easily, the right side, which is hard to get at, is the one that gave me the problem. My clamp was bent up but I was able to reuse it, that outer part is malleable.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:22 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Rear clamp, okay I gotcha now

In addition to the other advice, if you remove the clamp in my pic, it can help remove any binding on that joint where you are trying to remove the clamp.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2017, 09:28 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Mine just popped right off....I don't what you guys are complaining about

KIDDING....don't you hate those kind of responses?

I found that mine required getting it pretty loose and then using a flat screwdriver to pop it loose.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:22 AM
JGRNAUT_7.3L
Senior User

Finally had success! Thanks for the encouragement guys, that damn clamp was something else. Good news is got the up pipes out with no problems. Well now on to put the billet plenums in and then time for reassembly of the up pipes. Hopefully smoother sailing from here, but I won’t hold my breath.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:31 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Excellent!

Take good pics of your wiring for your GP and AIH solenoids, just in case you have to remove them.

I was able to pull most of my items out of the way, used zip ties to hold back hoses, wires, etc. I didn't want to be moving things around over top of open intakes- avoiding chances of getting any dirt or anything in them

Be careful and deliberate about getting the orings in the plenums properly. They shouldn't be stretched, bunched, or rolled

You're on a roll now

Old 12-10-2017, 10:39 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Don't be shy, share the method you used to git 'er done so the next guy can benefit from it.

Quick Reply: 😡 Collector band clamp, need help!