Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

T19 to ZF 5 speed for my 6.9

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 12:38 PM
Lootenny
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 540milotalon
That's what I did. Blew out a couple of them before I had the thought. Welding it on should work also, I made it adjustable just in case. But you're right, 5/8" is 5/8"
And that did it! So to reiterate for anyone who searches this out, you can use the original 6.9 flywheel and pressure plate, and have a friction plate made with the original O.D and the inner splines to fit the ZF. I used a 7.3 throwout bearing, the original clutch fork, and then lengthened the slave cylinder pushrod .625" to account for the thinner flywheel. I had to drop the crossmember below the frame rails, drill new holes, and space out the upper ears. I have the upper ears mounted in the original place because the bolts are captured by the body above, no way to get them out.

I still have to try putting extra fluid in through the shifter, the racket this thing makes at idle with the clutch out is amazing, goes away driving down the road.

Denny, loving the 5 speed/OD life!

Old 01-08-2019, 10:07 AM
bencotton909
New User
6.9 idi 4x4

Been trying to find a zf5 4x4 for my 6.9idi for awhile now. Any tips on where to look for one?

Old 01-08-2019, 10:26 AM
big ole ford
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bencotton909
Been trying to find a zf5 4x4 for my 6.9idi for awhile now. Any tips on where to look for one?

i wound up getting one for a 460 you just have to pull the trans adapter off your engine and use it as a template to drill the larger bolt holes for the diesel. Read racin&drummins idi bronco build thread, he did the same thing because the 460 units are so much more plentiful

Old 01-08-2019, 11:51 AM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
The first two I got at a local junkyard. Lots of diesel pickups in Texas. But both were too worn. The third one was from a rebuilder on fleabay. So far it's working fine.

Given these vehicles are 30 years old, you might want to just go that rebuilt route, bite the bullet. I tried used trannies first, but both were too worn.

That 460 tip sounds like a good plan.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:17 PM
bencotton909
New User
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu
The first two I got at a local junkyard. Lots of diesel pickups in Texas. But both were too worn. The third one was from a rebuilder on fleabay. So far it's working fine.

Given these vehicles are 30 years old, you might want to just go that rebuilt route, bite the bullet. I tried used trannies first, but both were too worn.

That 460 tip sounds like a good plan.
Do you know of any good places to buy a rebuilt one?

Old 01-08-2019, 05:13 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
I got mine on fleabay, actually my master tech friend found it from a guy he's used before. So it was not my tranx. Do you want me to ask him?

Old 01-08-2019, 10:40 PM
bencotton909
New User
I got mine on fleabay, actually my master tech friend found it from a guy he's used before. So it was not my tranx. Do you want me to ask him?
that would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:52 PM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts
AI saw this truck in the Sparks, NV. PNP right after it came in.
It is a 7.3 Diesel, 4x4 and a 5-spd Trans. I drove the 60 miles up to see it.
The whole engine, hood, fenders and under side was covered in oil. Looked
it over but didn`t see the source for that much oil, so I passed on taking any
parts.

https://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/1FTHX26C3PKB92914

Charlie

Old 01-09-2019, 08:04 PM
bencotton909
New User
Originally Posted by Charmalu
AI saw this truck in the Sparks, NV. PNP right after it came in.
It is a 7.3 Diesel, 4x4 and a 5-spd Trans. I drove the 60 miles up to see it.
The whole engine, hood, fenders and under side was covered in oil. Looked
it over but didn`t see the source for that much oil, so I passed on taking any
parts.

https://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/1FTHX26C3PKB92914

Charlie
I live in Washington state. I'm assuming pick n pull doesn't ship parts but I'm not sure

Old 01-09-2019, 10:43 PM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

There are guys that pull parts for a price, down at the bottom of the listing is the contact info.
I don`t know how the shipping arrangement would, probably between you and the puller.
PNP (Pick N Pull) does not pull parts or ship them.

You can sign up on www.row52.com and you can be notified when what you are looking for comes in.
It tells you the engine, but does not list what transmission is in the vehicle.

I have a link on my desk top for row 52 and a search for F250 with a xxx mille range from my zip code.
https://row52.com/Search/?Year=&V1=&...=1&IsVin=false

For Nov 1 row 42 is a 85 6.9 Diesel. I just about stripped every thing off it.
IP, Injectors, Banks Turbo, 4-spd, Bell Housing, Clutch/Brake peddle assy, Inst. Cluster, Battery Hold Downs
Coolant over flow bottle, Racor 500FG Fuel filter., windshield trim....and???

Charlie

Old 01-16-2019, 05:07 PM
bencotton909
New User
T19

Am I able to remove my t19 without removing the bell housing? Has anyone done this? I got my transfer case and drive lines out

Old 01-16-2019, 06:23 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by bencotton909
Am I able to remove my t19 without removing the bell housing? Has anyone done this? I got my transfer case and drive lines out
Ben, my friend can't find the fleabay seller where he bought my tranny. He's coming over for burgers Sunday and we'll look again online.
As for removing the t-19 with the bell housing in place, I believe you can. But you will have to junk that bell housing anyway. The ZF5 comes with its own. So your old one has to come out. Those top bolts are a beach. Let the back of the motor hang down just a couple inches until you can reach the bolts. Not too far or you'll mess up accessories on the front of the motor.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:49 PM
bencotton909
New User
If I cant find a zf5 soon My other option is to just rebuild my T19. Its grinding when I'm going slow in 2nd, 3rd and 4th but goes away when I accelerate. It's not the throw out bearing. Possibly the input shaft? Not sure what it is

Old 01-17-2019, 10:28 AM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Sounds like it's worn out. Tell you what, the improvement going to a ZF5 is yuge. And my truck picked up 2mpg with that 5th gear. I would stick to your guns and find a ZF5 from a 460 if you can. The 460 doesn't beat up the tranny with vibrations as much as an IDI does.

I think I also drive gentler now with the ZF5 in there. Helps mpg

Old 01-18-2019, 12:13 AM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

Ben, my friend can't find the fleabay seller where he bought my tranny. He's coming over for burgers Sunday and we'll look again online.
As for removing the t-19 with the bell housing in place, I believe you can. But you will have to junk that bell housing anyway. The ZF5 comes with its own. So your old one has to come out. Those top bolts are a beach. Let the back of the motor hang down just a couple inches until you can reach the bolts. Not too far or you'll mess up accessories on the front of the motor.
I don`t know if I would junk the t-19 Bell Housing those are getting hard to find. Someone would want it, I might depending on price.
I dropped my T-19 to replace the Throw Out Bearing, wasn`t too bad. Most difficult part is getting transmission cross mount off. It`s
the 2 bolts on the top frame rail under the cab for the short curved bracket. The nuts are a bear to get into, have to do it on an angle
with a swivel etc... Get a HF 800lb trans jack, works great. First look on CL, $85 is better than $160. and was damn near new.

I haven`t worked on a 4 X 4 so don`t know what needs to be removed in what sequence.

I picked up one of Harbor freights Earthquake 3/8" drive Battery powered Impact wrench. It works pretty good for the most part on the
Trans bolts and bell Housing bolts. The 1/2" would have more oomph.
Used it at PNP, and the top left BH Bolt I had to use a 18" breaker bar and short socket from the top to get it to move, then the impact
got it out. For the cross mount, the DeWalt Saws All did the trick.

The 1/2" is on sale now, $269.00 sale $229.99
After the sale the 20% coupon it is $215.99. there is a short and a 2" anvil.

Charlie

Quick Reply: T19 to ZF 5 speed for my 6.9