Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Should there be some type of warning if the... E brake

Old 12-08-2017, 11:45 AM
Metal twister
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should there be some type of warning if the... E brake

Just courious if there should be some type of warning light, bell, or something else if the ebrake is left on while driving? Ive driven the truck for a block or two a couple of times now with the ebrake partially engaged. Was thinking about hooking up a warning bell or light to get my attention in the future... Unless that is already in the system and just not working? Is there a warning in your truck?

Old 12-08-2017, 12:06 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes,Truck in signature has a warning light.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:11 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,426 Likes on 2,834 Posts
Other than the light on the dash that comes on when the brake is engaged, I am not sure to be honest. I do not think there is an audible tone like there are on most newer vehicles, but I will try to remember to check it the next time I use the truck.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:11 PM
IDI-Charlie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
To my knowledge there is just the light in the instrument cluster. Wouldn't be too hard to do IMO - use the switch at the pedal to ground the buzzer out and have the hot wire for the buzzer be activated off a relay controlled by power from the key.

For it to only come on when you put it in gear however would be extremely difficult due to the PCM not knowing when it is and is not in gear.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Well that means i must have a bad switch as the brake light comes on when the ignition is first is engaged into the diagnosis pre start mode.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
That switch is a weak point and since the parking brake hardly does anything it's easy to drive around with it on and not realize it 'til you smell that smell.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:57 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
That switch is a weak point and since the parking brake hardly does anything it's easy to drive around with it on and not realize it 'til you smell that smell.
Glad you said that... I thought i needed to adjust the brake up as it doesnt hold worth squat! In a standard trans getting out with it running in neutral is always a concern! Someone made mention that that switch is a reason for the cruise control not working... Make since, or was that forum smoke?

Old 12-08-2017, 01:00 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Metal twister
Glad you said that... I thought i needed to adjust the brake up as it doesnt hold worth squat! In a standard trans getting out with it running in neutral is always a concern! Someone made mention that that switch is a reason for the cruise control not working... Make since, or was that forum smoke?
I recall seeing that posted somewhere...it has no effect on anything with my AT.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:04 PM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These is a parking brake indicator dash light when it is engaged. Something is up with mine too as I have driven with the parking brake engaged and no light on. However, I only get a few feet before I can feel the parking brake is engaged (I really mash the pedal down though to ensure it is doing what it is supposed to do).

I did post earlier this week asking about a troubleshooting protocol to see why my dash indicator light wasn't coming on. I got no response.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-working.html

Old 12-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,426 Likes on 2,834 Posts
The switch is a POS and can be replaced for a few bucks. Even then I had to modify the switch a bit in order to make good contact to turn the light off when the brake is disengaged.

I carry chocks around in the bed of my truck for the trailer and the truck if needed when stopping in neutral if I think the brake will not hold. You can adjust the brake by turning the star adjusters on the back side of the hub.

There is an aftermarket AFCO (I think) brake actuator that someone did up a while ago on here. It uses the hydraulic lines to hold pressure, even when the truck is off. This solution is a bit pricey, but works well from his reviews.

If/when I get injectors and turbo upgraded, I suspect the hydraulic solution will be in the future for my truck.

Sunuvabug, I will post up what I know about answering your question.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:28 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
A tire shop I used pushed my brake on, didn't know it, no light. Drove 1/2 a damn day with it on! I made a label and simply put it on the front of the steering wheel that says do not use emergency brake. Doesn't do anything anyway.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:59 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Does your headlight dinger/ key in ignition warning work? That's the sound that goes off in my 99 if I move with the e brake on?

Old 12-08-2017, 03:08 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordboy2
Does your headlight dinger/ key in ignition warning work? That's the sound that goes off in my 99 if I move with the e brake on?
Nope, no dingers or sounds of any kind that i know of... Think i get a seat belt chime once in awhile.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:13 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
My light does not come on. Just found out that it should by this thread. I got the parking brake working a week or two ago. Need to make it is not dragging now that I have used it a few times.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:41 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
The switch is known to be problematic, often getting dirty and not making ground. Try cleaning the contact, first. This fixed my no-light issue when the parking brake was engaged. I thought I had a burnt bulb and was so irritated to go through the effort of removing and reinstalling the cluster, just to find out a new bulb didn't fix the issue and all it was was dirt on my ground switch.

The parking brake can be adjusted if it's not holding well. Mine is now where I won't roll in reverse or drive with it engaged so if my ground were to fail again I should have a warning. A buzzer of some sort would be good insurance, too. Here is a video how to adjust the parking brake. It can be done without removing the wheels btw....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should there be some type of warning if the... E brake