JohnnieUtah - No turning back now! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JohnnieUtah - No turning back now!

Old 12-07-2017, 06:13 PM
New User

JohnnieUtah is starting off with a positive reputation.
JohnnieUtah - No turning back now!

Hey guys!

I have been looking for a low mileage clean 7.3 Excursion that is relatively stock and not from up North. This is NOT an easy find..but I finally feel like I found one. I had a 3rd party diesel inspection shop look at it and it came back with no major flaws so I pulled the trigger today on her. She is a 2000 7.3 Limited. One Owner. 135K miles. I am very much looking forward to a long term relationship with this vehicle and appreciate any advice or wisdom you guys may have. I will probably use this thread as my "build thread" to document. I don't plan on any major things maybe 3-4" lift and tires/wheels and anything to improve reliability and looks. I am coming from a 2005 Land Cruiser so this thing has a lot to live up to in reliability and I hope I made the right decision.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:16 PM
Proud Sheepdog

Nicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputation
Looks super clean and well taken care of. Congrats!

If you look at my signature, you will see how off the deep end I have gone with mine. It looked just like yours...minus the TV screens in the back...when I started 6 years ago.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:18 PM
New User

nmlongbow is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow that Ex looks really good. Those are almost impossible to find in that condition. I had an 01' F350 with the 7.3 that I finally sold with 330k hard miles.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Senior User

ArmyLifer has a very good reputation on FTE.ArmyLifer has a very good reputation on FTE.ArmyLifer has a very good reputation on FTE.
I donít say this to just anyone, but youíve got a great looking frame under there. Nice looking Ex!

I wasnít initially planning on doing much to my Ex, but Iíve sorta gone off the deep end. We can certainly help you spend your money. For inspiration, or as a cautionary tale, Iíve got a mod/maintenance thread out there...

The Excursion tech folder is full of useful information. You might also want to check out the 99-03 7.3 forum in the Diesel section too.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:21 PM
Senior User

csnow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.csnow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wow- very clean truck. Something is off with the steering wheel though. It looks too light color-wise. Maybe its just the picture. Great find. I don't think I have ever seen one that clean. I cant imagine what this went for. They are pulling in some crazy numbers on eBay and here in Texas. Hopefully you got a fair deal on it. Nice find!
Old 12-07-2017, 07:35 PM
Posting Guru

IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.
Congratulations..... very nice Excursion. First order of business should be removing the lift blocks from the front end and maybe replacing the springs with new ones to properly fix the common sag. I agree the steering wheel looks odd (maybe dyed by the seller?), but hey, other wise a really nice Excursion. Welcome to the forum, where we will gladly help you spend some money on her.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:46 PM
Posting Guru

hwybee22 has a great reputation on FTE.hwybee22 has a great reputation on FTE.hwybee22 has a great reputation on FTE.hwybee22 has a great reputation on FTE.hwybee22 has a great reputation on FTE.
Great find and it's very impressing to see such a clean undercarriage. My vote is for 08 mirrors and upgraded 05 front end. Welcome to the club
Old 12-07-2017, 08:19 PM
Proud Sheepdog

Nicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputation
You mentioned you wanted a 3-4 inch lift. Well, you already have one in the pics (as has been noted above). Also, get rid of that "through the belt" upper radiator hose ASAP.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:32 PM
Postmaster

fordboy67 has a brilliant futurefordboy67 has a brilliant futurefordboy67 has a brilliant futurefordboy67 has a brilliant futurefordboy67 has a brilliant futurefordboy67 has a brilliant futurefordboy67 has a brilliant futurefordboy67 has a brilliant futurefordboy67 has a brilliant futurefordboy67 has a brilliant futurefordboy67 has a brilliant future
Nice rig....You don't see too many in that condition and miles anymore! Congrats!
Old 12-07-2017, 09:04 PM
Senior User

csnow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.csnow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASAP View Post
Congratulations..... very nice Excursion. First order of business should be removing the lift blocks from the front end
Eagle eye...well done. I didn't even spot that. Rremind me to never go up against you in a "Where is Wally/Waldo" match.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:28 PM
Junior User

Resto Guy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I agree with the above comments as to condition. VERY nice, I think you scored well!
Old 12-07-2017, 10:44 PM
Senior User

metru is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.metru is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
100% agree on removing those from blocks those are an accident waiting to happen but on a side note very nice X it looks like its off the show room floor and i highly doubt youll ever look back and regret switching over from an FJ cruiser might look back an wonder why you havent switched sooner though
Old 12-08-2017, 06:27 AM
World Famous Mod

WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASAP View Post
Congratulations..... very nice Excursion. First order of business should be removing the lift blocks from the front end and maybe replacing the springs with new ones to properly fix the common sag. I agree the steering wheel looks odd (maybe dyed by the seller?), but hey, other wise a really nice Excursion. Welcome to the forum, where we will gladly help you spend some money on her.

That is a super clean looking EX!
But with those front axle lift blocks I wouldn't drive it. Those types of blocks are illegal here in PA and elsewhere, for good reason. Ditch those and get some new springs, like V or X codes.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:59 AM
Post Fiend

LivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputation
Congrats, she looks purdy!
Old 12-08-2017, 07:18 AM
Not So Nice Leprechaun

Twitchyleprechaun has a superb reputationTwitchyleprechaun has a superb reputationTwitchyleprechaun has a superb reputationTwitchyleprechaun has a superb reputationTwitchyleprechaun has a superb reputationTwitchyleprechaun has a superb reputationTwitchyleprechaun has a superb reputationTwitchyleprechaun has a superb reputationTwitchyleprechaun has a superb reputationTwitchyleprechaun has a superb reputationTwitchyleprechaun has a superb reputation
Wow, looks very nice. Awesome find.